Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55

Thread: I'm Just Thinking...Which DE do we pick first in 2011?

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    this is a nice thread for the draft forum but since you asked the Jets dream prospect is probably Cameron Heyward from Ohio State. Big, strong, tough at 3-4 DE type of player, with a little pass rush. there are actually a ton of DE/DT types this year... robert quinn unc, Adrian Clayborn, iowa, allan bailey miami, jj watt wisconsin, marcel dareus alabama, ryan kerrigan purdue etc

    but all that being said... rex can turn mike devito and sione pouha into great players, why does he need a 1st round DT/DE? They might go first round WR or DB instead.
    I wonder if there is any chance Quinn drops to within striking distance of the Jets. Is there any chance he could stand up and play olb in a 3-4?

  2. #22
    there's also Dequan bowers clemson, 6'4" 280 sackmaster

    it's just a loaded DE year

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    there's also Dequan bowers clemson, 6'4" 280 sackmaster

    it's just a loaded DE year
    question. i think the jets have to give the chargers either a 2nd or 3rd round pick as a result of the cromartie deal. does anyone know what the criteria are for this and what the projected pick to be dealt to SD is?

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I wonder if there is any chance Quinn drops to within striking distance of the Jets. Is there any chance he could stand up and play olb in a 3-4?
    I dont think any of these players project well as stand up OLB... it's a weaker OLB year than DE year.

    to answer your question i think someone will fall because the supply/demand of the situation, all of these guys in the same class hurt each other's value.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    question. i think the jets have to give the chargers either a 2nd or 3rd round pick as a result of the cromartie deal. does anyone know what the criteria are for this and what the projected pick to be dealt to SD is?
    the best i could find is this

    The pick could become a second-rounder if Cromartie signs a long-term deal with the Jets, reaches a certain playing-time threshold or the Jets win the AFC East.

  6. #26
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I wonder if there is any chance Quinn drops to within striking distance of the Jets. Is there any chance he could stand up and play olb in a 3-4?
    no chance he's there...and if he is its' because he's been redflagged over the tumour still in his head and then he's a risk...Quinn could easily make the conversion to 3-4 OLB...

  7. #27
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by jackhuntr View Post
    Oh No!! not another Ohio State DE!!!!
    there's no chance in hell heyward is available to the Jets, even if they lose out....ditto for Nick Fairley....you can probably strike Cameron Jordan from the list as well..maybe Christian Ballard of Iowa, but he's not much of a pass rusher rhater a tremendous D-lineman...

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    the best i could find is this
    based on that it sounds like this could be a 2nd rounder easily. cro is probably staying here unless he messes up bad.

  9. #29
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Safety class is very weak. Doubt their will be a player that warrants a 1st round pick where the jets will be selecting.

    Also in our D the pass rush is supposed to come from our LB's, so if the Jets are looking for a pass rusher it will be a OLB.
    the safety class is not weak- it blows....Marcus Ghilchrist/Clemson about round 3....wouldn't mind having kurt coleman on the roster right about now....

  10. #30
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    the safety class is not weak- it blows....Marcus Ghilchrist/Clemson about round 3....wouldn't mind having kurt coleman on the roster right about now....
    I saw a lot of Philly this year and to be honest with you, he doesn't look good at all. He is basically what we have in our backup safeties, maybe a little better in coverage but not as tough against the run. Nate Allen is the safety I would love to have from this years draft, he is performing great for Philly.

    As of our pass rush, well, I dont know. The point that we got a bunch of bodies at the bottom of the roster (Dixon, Gilbert, Kroul), Pitoitua is coming back and Rex likes to develop cheap guys into tough run stuffers is a valid one. However, we shouldn't forget that you also need special talents in your front seven, just like he had in Baltimore with Lewis, Suggs and Ngata (the last two were selected in the first round). I think we could look to get an edge rusher early in the draft because we clearly lack that individual threat of the edge. Justin Houston from Georgia would be a dream scenario as he has already played the 3-4 this year at UGA under Grantham. Quinn is another guy who looks perfectly suited for standing up. Then there are Beal (OU), Acho (Texas) and Miller (A&M) from the Big 12 so we'll see.

  11. #31
    CBNY, any chance Robert Quinn falls enough for the Jets to have a shot after the brain surgery + suspension?

    Also, Lawrence Guy vs. Cameron Heyward - Who's better? I'm guessing Heyward, who has some Seymour in him, so I guess the better question is how good is Lawrence Guy?

  12. #32
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I saw a lot of Philly this year and to be honest with you, he doesn't look good at all. He is basically what we have in our backup safeties, maybe a little better in coverage but not as tough against the run. Nate Allen is the safety I would love to have from this years draft, he is performing great for Philly.
    considering the guy was a 7th round pick who's seeing extensive playing time, he's done alright...and i can tell you for a fact the coaching staff really likes him...

  13. #33
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    CBNY, any chance Robert Quinn falls enough for the Jets to have a shot after the brain surgery + suspension?
    suspension won't hurt him all that much...if he falls its because there's a tumour in his head and you're not going to take him then...

    Also, Lawrence Guy vs. Cameron Heyward - Who's better? I'm guessing Heyward, who has some Seymour in him, so I guess the better question is how good is Lawrence Guy?
    Heyward is much better at this point- Guy's a little more explosive and slightly better movement skills when healthy...i've not heard anything that Guy is considering enetering the draft at this point..

  14. #34
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    the safety class is not weak- it blows....Marcus Ghilchrist/Clemson about round 3....wouldn't mind having kurt coleman on the roster right about now....
    Or an Eric Hagg late

  15. #35
    jets fans complain about the pass rush more than the run stopping... how about Pitt DE jabaal sheard? he's a pass rushing monster lately.

    also von miller seems to be getting back some of his form...

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    jets fans complain about the pass rush more than the run stopping... how about Pitt DE jabaal sheard? he's a pass rushing monster lately.

    also von miller seems to be getting back some of his form...
    Sheard moves well, and size from the 3-4 OLB is something Rex seems to like and appreciate.

    Also, thanks CB. I'm pretty high on Guy, for the reason you mention...he's an explosive big man who moves easy. What are the knocks on Heyward? He seems like the most legit DE/DT prospect in a long, long time.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 11-09-2010 at 04:34 PM.

  17. #37
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Or an Eric Hagg late
    love Hagg....

  18. #38
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Sheard moves well, and size from the 3-4 OLB is something Rex seems to like and appreciate.

    Also, thanks CB. I'm pretty high on Guy, for the reason you mention...he's an explosive big man who moves easy. What are the knocks on Heyward? He seems like the most legit DE/DT prospect in a long, long time.
    marginal pass rusher...more of a plugger who occupy's blockers versus soemone who impacts by making plays on the ball...

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    marginal pass rusher...more of a plugger who occupy's blockers versus soemone who impacts by making plays on the ball...
    Sheard?

  20. #40
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Sheard?
    strictly a 4-3 end....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us