Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm Just Thinking...Which DE do we pick first in 2011?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    marginal pass rusher...more of a plugger who occupy's blockers versus soemone who impacts by making plays on the ball...
    Thank you sir...That's the impression I got from him this year, though I've seen him move really well when he was a freshman and sophomore and it makes me think there's some upside as pass rusher or at least a pass batter downer.

Neither one is as good as Fairley, the guy I'd really like to have (as would anyone else) on this DL...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    justin houston from georgia already plays in the 3-4, has been having a great year...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    justin houston from georgia already plays in the 3-4, has been having a great year...
    I think he's on par with your Jamaal Westerman types...someone will pick him up late and be pleasantly surprised to find a contributor.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vernon Gholston and Thaddeus Gibson could have been better NFL players if they stayed in school another year, I think they both came out too soon and Vern cost Thad some cash since his "bust" pushed Thad into the the 4th round

Cameron Heyward is smarter, he stayed in school and the added playing time should help, as a senior he is also playing a higher percentage of snaps, Tressel loves to rotate players but also likes to play his seniors

Interesting to note that Suh played about 91 to 92 percent of the snaps in his last year (not that Heyward will be as good but the experience is valuable)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    I think he's on par with your Jamaal Westerman types...someone will pick him up late and be pleasantly surprised to find a contributor.
    Houston is a junior and may not enter....he's also a one trick poney, ala gholston...he's terrific rushing the passer out of a three point stance but that is where it ends...when he stands up in space at OLB he's lost...his best position is 4-3 end...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 11-09-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    Vernon Gholston and Thaddeus Gibson could have been better NFL players if they stayed in school another year, I think they both came out too soon and Vern cost Thad some cash since his "bust" pushed Thad into the the 4th round

Cameron Heyward is smarter, he stayed in school and the added playing time should help, as a senior he is also playing a higher percentage of snaps, Tressel loves to rotate players but also likes to play his seniors

Interesting to note that Suh played about 91 to 92 percent of the snaps in his last year (not that Heyward will be as good but the experience is valuable)
    agreed but a lot of time it comes down to $$$....heyward's family had the $$$ and he was able to stay in school...i think Gibson's family was really poor if memory serves me- not sure about Gholston's...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Sheard moves well, and size from the 3-4 OLB is something Rex seems to like and appreciate.

Also, thanks CB. I'm pretty high on Guy, for the reason you mention...he's an explosive big man who moves easy. What are the knocks on Heyward? He seems like the most legit DE/DT prospect in a long, long time.
    now hear Guy is about 70% on entering the draft...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    now hear Guy is about 70% on entering the draft...
    Where's he rank amongst guys like Fairly, Heyward, Dareus, and Ballard?

Also, thoughts on Adrian Taylor from Oklahoma? He seems like a guy who projects as a future NT pretty well at 6'4 315...Jenkins came out of Maryland around that size.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 11-13-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Where's he rank amongst guys like Fairly, Heyward, Dareus, and Ballard?

Also, thoughts on Adrian Taylor from Oklahoma?
    half a round below the top three and late first like Ballard...

taylor was terrific before he smashed his leg against Stanford last year...demarcus granger part deaux...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [but all that being said... rex can turn mike devito and sione pouha into great players, why does he need a 1st round DT/DE? They might go first round WR or DB instead.[/QUOTE]

Oh boy, here we go again... Except now it's not OL, basically Bit wants no OL and no DL and the only position that excites him in the first round is TE, especially if it's a slow blocking TE. In other words he would love it if we drafted a Brady and then a Becht in successive years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    half a round below the top three and late first like Ballard...

taylor was terrific before he smashed his leg against Stanford last year...demarcus granger part deaux...
    Are you a fan of Sheard at OLB?

I like bringing a DE/OLB along as a DE first, but Sheard looks like he moves well enough to play it.

Also, how would you feel about the Jets going after a Manny Lawson or Mathias Kiwanuka in FA?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I like bringing a DE/OLB along as a DE first, but Sheard looks like he moves well enough to play it.

Also, how would you feel about the Jets going after a Manny Lawson or Mathias Kiwanuka in FA?
    My friend, who is a Giants fan, said the same thing. I have not watched Kiwi play much, but he seem to always be injured.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

no...think Sherard is strictly a 4-3 DE...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    no...think Sherard is strictly a 4-3 DE...
    BTW: D'you see Cody get a TFL Monday night? Comin' along...

Still really fat though...Anyway, is Bowers from Clemson getting a first round look? Also, how does he compare to Ellis as a college prospect?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW: D'you see Cody get a TFL Monday night? Comin' along...

Still really fat though...Anyway, is Bowers from Clemson getting a first round look? Also, how does he compare to Ellis as a college prospect?
    did not- i know this; Cody in six games has as many tackles as cam thomas does in the only two games he's dressed for....gotta find out why Thomas is not playing more...

as far as Bowers- no thanks....typical highly rated Clemson d-lineman; plays hard 50% of the time and/or has character concerns...