Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USMC celebrates 235th birthday

USMC celebrates 235th birthday

[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c106/MichiganSniper/Demotivational%20Stash/usmc.png[/IMG]

[QUOTE]November 10th is the 235th birthday for the United States Marine Corps. During the American Revolution, a committee of the Continental Congress met at Tun Tavern to draft a resolution calling for two battalions of Marines that would be able to fight for independence at sea as well as on shore. The rest is history, and with the approval of the resolution on November 10, 1775, the Continental Marines were officially formed.

The first "formal" Birthday Ball took place in Philadelphia in 1925, and over the years the Ball continued to grow and evolve from simple functions into the biggest celebration in the Corps. But through it all, one thing remains constant - this is a day of camaraderie for the troops and a day to honor Corps and Country.

And the rest of us (no skeptics of the Marine Corps allowed here) are so proud of our fighting force. It has been 235 years since the official forming of the Marine Corps and they are the most loyal, feared, revered, and professional fighting force the world has ever known.

Marine Corps Time wants to know if you have any Birthday Ball stories - you know, blunders, anything and everything. Click on this link if you have any.

As a government entity, the USMC does not profess one religion over another, but with programs such as TOYS FOR TOTS, and many more programs to help others, the Marines show their love for their fellow Americans and people all over the world. GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS, AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY USMC!!
    [/QUOTE]
    [url]http://www.examiner.com/skepticism-in-national/usmc-celebrates-235th-birthday[/url]

oooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh raaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

SEMPER FI

"Today, you people are no longer maggots. Today, you are Marines. You're part of a brotherhood. From now on until the day you die, wherever you are, every Marine is your brother. Most of you will go to Vietnam. Some of you will not come back. But always remember this: Marines die. That's what we're here for. But the Marine Corps lives forever. And that means YOU live forever. Good night Chesty. Wherever you are."

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh5SNU2_H3s[/url]

Happy Birthday Devil Dogs. :)

No greater friend, no worse enemy....

[QUOTE=Apache 51;3812477][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh5SNU2_H3s[/url][/QUOTE]

Okay. That didn't suck.

For those who did, thanks for serving

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=FloridaJetsFan;3812474]Marines die. That's what we're here for. But the Marine Corps lives forever. And that means YOU live forever. [/QUOTE]

so tell your widow and fatherless kids to cheer up, because you're not really dead.

Veteran
    Forgive my ignorance but what da hell is the difference between the Navy and Marine Corps? I mean from here it just looks like you have 2 navies with different names, why? :huh:

Oh and aren't the rangers a part of the Army? And if so why are they more famous than the other whatever they're called?
    Last edited by The Turk; 11-11-2010 at 08:17 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3813965]so tell your widow and fatherless kids to cheer up, because you're not really dead.[/QUOTE]

Dude.

:dunno:

-

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=32green;3813981]Dude.

-[/QUOTE]

I have nothing but respect for those se4ving our country. Just not the live forever-seven virgins mumbo jumbo.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3813987]I have nothing but respect for those se4ving our country. Just not the live forever-seven virgins mumbo jumbo.[/QUOTE]

The mumbo jumbo is part of Marine Core lore and revered amongst most who have served. Why not, out of respect, reserve the outrage in one silly thread on JI?

You are going to convince a Marine he is dying for nothing?

You sit at a 'puter tap tap tapping away under the umbrella of freedom provided by the sacrifice of Dead Marines.

If thats nothing to you, and not worthy of a nod to their tradition (including the mumbo jumbo you refer to) then you really dont hold the respect for them that you purport.

Lip service.

-

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=32green;3813993]The mumbo jumbo is part of Marine Core lore and revered amongst most who have served. Why not, out of respect, reserve the outrage in one silly thread on JI?

You are going to convince a Marine he is dying for nothing?

You sit at a 'puter tap tap tapping away under the umbrella of freedom provided by the sacrifice of Dead Marines.

If thats nothing to you, and not worthy of a nod to their tradition (including the mumbo jumbo you refer to) then you really dont hold the respect for them that you purport.

Lip service.

-[/QUOTE]

we can disagree, but you are right that my comment was inappropriate here
    and I apologize

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=The Turk;3813979]what da hell is the difference between the Navy and Marine Corps?[/QUOTE]

Oh noes....:O

Veteran
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3813998]Oh noes....:O[/QUOTE]

don't mean to step on any toes I'm just sincerely curious

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=The Turk;3814003]don't mean to step on any toes I'm just sincerely curious[/QUOTE]

Wiki does a good job of explaining it:

The United States Marine Corps (USMC) is a branch of the United States armed forces responsible for providing force projection from the sea,[6] using the mobility of the United States Navy to rapidly deliver combined-arms task forces. It is one of seven uniformed services of the United States. In the civilian leadership structure of the United States military, the Marine Corps is a component of the United States Department of the Navy,[7][8] often working closely with U.S. naval forces for training, transportation, and logistic purposes; however, in the military leadership structure the Marine Corps is a separate branch.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3814004]Wiki does a good job of explaining it:

The United States Marine Corps (USMC) is a branch of the United States armed forces responsible for providing force projection from the sea,[6] using the mobility of the United States Navy to rapidly deliver combined-arms task forces. It is one of seven uniformed services of the United States. In the civilian leadership structure of the United States military, the Marine Corps is a component of the United States Department of the Navy,[7][8] often working closely with U.S. naval forces for training, transportation, and logistic purposes; however, in the military leadership structure the Marine Corps is a separate branch.[/QUOTE]

So it's a part of the Navy but it has its seperate command structure? What?Why? ([SIZE=1][I]I've checked wiki this time[/I][/SIZE])

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3813996]we can disagree, but you are right that my comment was inappropriate here
    and I apologize[/QUOTE]

ha ha got you good.:D

:alien::alien:

:banana:

-

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=32green;3814037]ha ha got you good.:D

:alien::alien:

:banana:

-[/QUOTE]

communist mother*

My father, who passed away 8 weeks ago, was a former Marine. Semper Fi, dad, I miss you. :bigcry: