Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USMC celebrates 235th birthday

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Turk;3814015]So it's a part of the Navy but it has its seperate command structure? What?Why? ([SIZE=1][I]I've checked wiki this time[/I][/SIZE])[/QUOTE]

Wow......any serious Naval Power, including Turkey (My father in law served on a minesweeper in the Turkish Navy) has a contingent of Marines. Goes back hundreds of years.

[QUOTE]The Turkish Navy maintains several Marines and Special Operations units. These include the Amphibious Marines Brigade (Amfibi Deniz Piyade Tugayı), several commando detachments and two special operations forces:

Amphibious Marines Brigade - (Amfibi Deniz Piyade Tugayı) consisting of 4500 men based in Foça near İzmir, three amphibious battalions, an MBT battalion, an artillery battalion, a support battalion and other company-sized units.
    Su Altı Taarruz - (S.A.T.) (Underwater Attack). The missions of the Su Altı Taarruz (SAT) include the acquisition of military intelligence, amphibious assault, counter-terrorism and VIP protection.
    Su Altı Savunma - (S.A.S.) (Underwater Defense).[/QUOTE]

Oh, and Proud to have served, U.S. Army 1990 - 1999

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3814037]ha ha got you good.:D

:alien::alien:

:banana:

-[/QUOTE]

You two guyz.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;3814763]Wow......any serious Naval Power, including Turkey (My father in law served on a minesweeper in the Turkish Navy) has a contingent of Marines. Goes back hundreds of years.

Oh, and Proud to have served, U.S. Army 1990 - 1999[/QUOTE]

Yes as your father in law would know they are just considered to be a part of the Navy, no marine in Turkey calls himself "marine". They are all seamen except maybe the SAT and the SAS and like the Special Forces of the Army they are famous but in Turkey you would say you were a naval officer not a marine. But as far as I know if you say a marine is no different than other naval soldiers that is somewhat offensive in the US.

I was just curious about why you guys have these certain sections of the army and navy that are more - for lack of a better word - popular then others.

And I don't understand why this is such a sensitive issue and people keep snapping at me? I wasn't trying to be offensive it was an honest question more about your popular culture than the actual command structure.
    Last edited by The Turk; 11-12-2010 at 02:44 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Turk;3815110]Yes as your father in law would know they are just considered to be a part of the Navy, no marine in Turkey calls himself "marine". They are all seamen except maybe the SAT and the SAS and like the Special Forces of the Army they are famous but in Turkey you would say you were a naval officer not a marine. But as far as I know if you say a marine is no different than other naval soldiers that is somewhat offensive in the US.

I was just curious about why you guys have these certain sections of the army and navy that are more - for lack of a better word - popular then others.

And I don't understand why this is such a sensitive issue and people keep snapping at me? I wasn't trying to be offensive it was an honest question more about your popular culture than the actual command structure.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yo-_qpfPNA[/url]

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    For more amazing photos of the USMC in action, among others, may I recommend [URL="www.militaryphotos.net"]this site[/URL].

I, for one, am willing to take The Turk's question at face value and wonder why the USMC was created as a seperate branch all those years ago. I'm sure there is a good answer as far as what some of the founding fathers were thinking, more likely in a book than a wiki page. For all I know, I learned the answer in military history class almost 20 years ago and have forgotten.

But the ongoing relationship between the Navy and Marines is clear and goes well beyond what Keifer might say. One of my favorite photos of a Marine is actually a Navy Corpsman:
    [IMG]http://lh3.ggpht.com/__Le_vMi7wPE/RwkHXa-kOzI/AAAAAAAAB88/nAdMibrQeXE/s640/3rd_Battalion,_3rd_Marines_-_Afghanistan.jpg[/IMG]