Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Play calling late in 4th qtr....Miserable.. RUN MORE ON 3RD DOWN!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Play calling late in 4th qtr....Miserable.. RUN MORE ON 3RD DOWN!

It was 3rd and 3 late in the 4th Jets were knocking on the door I believe there was just around 3 mins left..

Schott decides to throw a quick slant which should of been picked by Abram Elam and could of been 6 the other way.. Now if you give it to Shonn who's meant to be handed the ball late in the 4th, you can at least run more clock and have a safer bet in getting the first and if you dont get it you can at least run it one more time on 4th down and short to end the game..If you dont get it Browns have the ball inside their own 5 with under 3 mins and you should have the confidence knowing theyre offense cannot travel 95 yrds and score a TD on our D since the Jets were up by 4 they needed a TD regardless..

Instead the Jets kick a FG which as we all know wasn't a gimme 3 pts the way Folk was kicking.. and allow themselves to kick off to the Browns giving them great field position now as the kickoff was returned passed their own 40 yrd line.. As we al saw the browns scored 7 to tie with the shorter field, I mean if they would of ran power I on 3rd and 4th down inside the 5 and worse comes to worst they dont make it, you dont deserve to win if you allow the Browns to go 95+ score a TD and win by 3.

All im saying is Schott needs to understand that our teams strengths are running especially when the defense dont expect it on 3rd and 3+.. If we would have lost this game Sunday this sequence would have and should have been extremely magnified.. He needs to be aggressive with his play calling on 3rd down and have confidence in that O-line..

P.S. The Seminole with Brad Smith is working great.. he needs to now throw the ball out of it.. defenses cannot be ready for it

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    How many professional football games have you coached and what is your winning percentage?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3820652]How many professional football games have you coached and what is your winning percentage?[/QUOTE]

Dude do you ever reply witout sarcasm?

BTW, I was thinking the same thing. Our coaching is average at best.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hated that call as well. I think the Browns call TO if we run and don't get it but I still did not like the call. I wanted them to run. It is so tough to throw from inside the 5 yard line since the windows are smaller. If Sanchez was not hurt, i think they roll him out there with a run/pass option.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LA Jet Fan;3820658]Dude do you ever reply witout sarcasm?

BTW, I was thinking the same thing. Our coaching is average at best.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    how many professional football offensive coaches have a 20% red zone td to fg ratio? just sch$tt. yes anyone could call the plays.

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;3820652]How many professional football games have you coached and what is your winning percentage?[/QUOTE]

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was on the 7 yd line 3rd and 3, seriously you have two downs to get 3 yards, even if they call a time out your still forcing them do use one..plus Purdum gave a terrible snap that weathorford had to do a great job on otherwise Folk would've missed his 4th..there was no reason to kick a fg there up by 4 or 9+ pts..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    wait... a questionable play call from Schotty??? i don't believe it :rolleyes:

he had a pretty good game overall, but also had a few "gems" in our first two drives, also on third and short. Schotty loves throwing on third and short, out of the shotgun no less. i personally don't get it. with our O-Line and RB's, third and short should be run 95% of the time.

yeah, teams would sell out on the run and stack the box, but they stack the box on us most of the time and we can still run it. besides, when we go shotgun/empty backfield on these situations, they sell out on the pass, which makes it even harder to convert. smh...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking the same thing. Really wanted to see Green get a carry there, at least get it to 4th and short, and have the option to go for it and seal the win.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    2nd and short in OT... you don't know if you'll get the ball back or not.. you gotta TAKE A SHOT DOWN THE FIELD!!! Shotty pisses me off, how can an NFL OC not know exactly when to dial up the bomb??? He played the sticks in that situation.. right before the 3rd down INT from Sanchez. If we go bomb on 2nd we can still play the chains on 3rd, right???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

SOJF

Speaking of miserable :rolleyes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJETS2121;3820647]It was 3rd and 3 late in the 4th Jets were knocking on the door I believe there was just around 3 mins left..

Schott decides to throw a quick slant which should of been picked by Abram Elam and could of been 6 the other way.. Now if you give it to Shonn who's meant to be handed the ball late in the 4th, you can at least run more clock and have a safer bet in getting the first and if you dont get it you can at least run it one more time on 4th down and short to end the game..If you dont get it Browns have the ball inside their own 5 with under 3 mins and you should have the confidence knowing theyre offense cannot travel 95 yrds and score a TD on our D since the Jets were up by 4 they needed a TD regardless..

Instead the Jets kick a FG which as we all know wasn't a gimme 3 pts the way Folk was kicking.. and allow themselves to kick off to the Browns giving them great field position now as the kickoff was returned passed their own 40 yrd line.. As we al saw the browns scored 7 to tie with the shorter field, I mean if they would of ran power I on 3rd and 4th down inside the 5 and worse comes to worst they dont make it, you dont deserve to win if you allow the Browns to go 95+ score a TD and win by 3.

All im saying is Schott needs to understand that our teams strengths are running especially when the defense dont expect it on 3rd and 3+.. If we would have lost this game Sunday this sequence would have and should have been extremely magnified.. He needs to be aggressive with his play calling on 3rd down and have confidence in that O-line..

[B]P.S. The Seminole with Brad Smith is working great.. he needs to now throw the ball out of it.. defenses cannot be ready for it[/B][/QUOTE]

Or, maybe they are ready for it, which is why its working great.

Throwing the ball with B. Smith should not be an even semi-common ocurrence. He simply doesn't have the arm to make an accurate throw to a guy who is even somewhat covered. Rather, he needs to use some cheap chicanery to get a guy completely wide open to get him the ball. That really involves throwing the ball once every blue moon - like in the playoffs against the Colts last year. If they are still protecting against the pass when #16 gets the ball....great, it gives the Jets the advantage up front. At some point though, a team will start selling out against the run, and that's when they go with the big hitter.

I'd rather use that trick play in a more important situation like against the Pats in a month or in the playoffs. No need to waste a play like that against the Browns.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every single offensive coordinator we have had has been questioned by people on this board....

That will never change.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=endgameeugenics;3821201]2nd and short in OT... you don't know if you'll get the ball back or not.. you gotta TAKE A SHOT DOWN THE FIELD!!! Shotty pisses me off, how can an NFL OC not know exactly when to dial up the bomb??? He played the sticks in that situation.. right before the 3rd down INT from Sanchez. If we go bomb on 2nd we can still play the chains on 3rd, right???[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? The Jets ran the ball on 2nd and 4, and got the first down on the Cleveland 36. However, they were called for a holding penalty. I don't really see the problem with that playcall or result at all (especially because it seemed like a terrible holding penalty).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you always take the points when there are over 2 minutes left.
    The plan was to force the Browns to start at the 20, not 40 yard line...
    Also whether they had to go 60, 80, or 90+ yards...
    A good D, keeps them from scoring a TD.

Nevermind the #1 Defense in the league like Rex likes to tout...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3821256]Are you kidding? The Jets ran the ball on 2nd and 4, and got the first down on the Cleveland 36. However, they were called for a holding penalty. I don't really see the problem with that playcall or result at all (especially because it seemed like a terrible holding penalty).[/QUOTE]
    Like I said, if we don't get the [B][U]bomb[/U][/B], we're at 3rd and 4...right?? We wasted a down there. Early on in the game, if your in that situation, yeah, run the football. But only so you can throw the [B][U]bomb[/U][/B] later. Like we should have!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    it was OT, how the hell would shotty know he's gonna get it back? my friend you don't play the chains on 2nd and 4. In OT?

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3821256]Are you kidding? The Jets ran the ball on 2nd and 4, and got the first down on the Cleveland 36. However, they were called for a holding penalty. I don't really see the problem with that playcall or result at all (especially because it seemed like a terrible holding penalty).[/QUOTE]

+1. Should have been first down in close to FG range. Also, the Jets had no success throwing bombs all game. Most of the success of the passing game came from short and intermediate passes.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about a fade to Edwards in the corner? We don't throw any of those down near the goalline, and he has a size advantage 90% of the time.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

FG???

[QUOTE=njherdfan;3821319]+1. Should have been first down in close to FG range. Also, the Jets had no success throwing bombs all game. Most of the success of the passing game came from short and intermediate passes.[/QUOTE]

close to FG range? I have seen Nick Folk miss more than his fair share of chip shots..(one was sunday) HE MISSED 3 FGs!!!

We don't have the most bright fanbase in the league I see

STOP defending that 2nd and short