Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How about a little optimism??

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SAR I;3820985]The Cleveland Browns are 3-6. That's a "damn" good team in your book? Rex laid platitudes to prop-up his brother. Don't take him seriously.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Well, they lost, but they did play a "complete" game. So actually they won, I guess, right? But they lost. But we won though. But we didn't play a "complete" game. So, but, um, so, aaaaarrrggghhh!!! Damn these pesky won/loss records, will the "real" Jets fans please tell me what stats really matter? Is it QB ratings? Hot dogs sold to fat farting guys ratio? TELL ME!!!

Had to join just to jump in on this....

All this talk about winning but not playing up to our potential makes me scratch my head. Being down on this team for that reason makes absolutely no sense. I don't think of my self as being overly optimistic, but to me, I think we haven't seen what this team is fully capable of....and we are 7-2 while not having reached our full potential!

Putting a negative spin on the last 2 wins is just plain stupid. When Detroit tried to put us away in the last 5 min. of the game, we stepped it up in OT. When Cleveland tried to do the same thing to us, we stepped it up in OT.

And to those who complain about winning but not playing our best, I remind you of a line used in another sport....

Good pitchers win when they have their best stuff. Great pitchers win when they don't have their best stuff.

Hall Of Fame
    I think playing all these close tough games could be good for us. This team is going to be battle-tested come playoff time, in a way they wouldn't be if they were simply blowing every opponent out.

How many times have we seen a team cruise through the regular season routing team after team, end up with basically a month off at the end of the season, only to come out with no intensity and fall flat on their faces in their first playoff game (Hello, Indy :byebye:)?

The experience of last year's AFCC run, combined with the tough games they've had to play all season, should only make this team better.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3820973]Don't be sorry, post more often, the SOJF on this site are downright embarrassing.

You said it best, we are right in the middle of one of the most historic periods in Jets football, and there are clowns on this site *****ing about this team.

Either the are too young and ignorant, or they have completely lot their minds.

Its downright embarrassing.[/QUOTE]
    What's downright embarrassing is this circle jerk you lead every time the JETS barely beat an infierier team. You play the pivot man well.
    I'm niether young, ignorant, or a clown.
    I'm very happy our JETS won.
    What's wrong with wanting them to improve and play up to thier potential rather than down to the compitition?

[QUOTE=Cole;3821015]I think playing all these close tough games could be good for us. This team is going to be battle-tested come playoff time, in a way they wouldn't be if they were simply blowing every opponent out.

How many times have we seen a team cruise through the regular season routing team after team, end up with basically a month off at the end of the season, only to come out with no intensity and fall flat on their faces in their first playoff game (Hello, Indy :byebye:)?

The experience of last year's AFCC run, combined with the tough games they've had to play all season, should only make this team better.[/QUOTE]

Outstanding. Can't believe so few people feel this way.

Oh, and don't forget last year's Chargers. 11 straight wins that probably would have satisfied the fans here who want domination of all "poor" teams, only to get smacked in the mouth by a tough team that they should have blown out.

With every one of these close games, our young QB is learning what it takes to be a leader, to be clutch. Rex is growing as a coach - these close games have led to some questionable decisions from him, but because most have ended in wins, he can count them as learning experiences. People can complain about the productivity all they want...I LOVE that the Jets are winning like this, and I'm still confident that there will be at least a game or two more this regular season where they put the Buffalo performance on somebody.

By the way, there's a pretty good team in our division that literally squeaked out victories for three consecutive seasons. They won SBs in 2 of those 3 years. Then a few years later the team got all this talent, and dominated week in and week out. What happened when that team got to the SB?

To me, winning hard-fought battles is what makes a team a tough out. And in the playoffs it's better to be a tough out than overconfident, as we saw in '07.
    Last edited by GreenWave; 11-16-2010 at 03:55 AM.

[QUOTE=SAR I;3820829]What you don't understand is that we are playing beneath our capabilities. That might fly against the scrubs of the NFL in Denver, Detroit, and Cleveland, but we've got New England, Pittsburgh, and Chicago on the schedule and we're not going to beat them playing like we are this last month. Houston and Cincinnati are hungry, talented teams that we have to play in a single week and that's after back-to-back OT games on the road. We're in trouble.

SOJ never existed. It's just a myth. Get that theory out of your head. It's just that the stakes have never been any higher. We [I]are [/I]capable of winning the Super Bowl. We really [I]are[/I].

But only if we get our heads out of our asses and play a complete game.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Scrubs of the NFL? Ask New England and New Orleans what they think of Cleveland as "scrubs"

Jets Insider VIP
    I don't think SOJF are bandwagoneers from Hard Knocks, actually

I think they are made of of two elements....

long time Joe Benigno types who are professional gloom and doomers --- these are the ones whose main claim to fame is that the Jets haven't won a superbowl in 40 years. Thus, going to three AFC championship games and multiple postseason appearances, a 7-2 record, first place in the division, 5-0 on the road and the rest all mean nothing because our kicker had a bad day. Included in this group are geniuses who have actually stated that if the Jets don't win the superbowl in a year, they are a failure

the second group are the zip code fans, couch potato complainers and upper deckers who will never forgive the jets for moving them from the 50 yard line mezzanine seats they sat in for 75 bucks a game for 25 years. They are angry and will remain angry mainly because they were too cheap to invest a minimal amount (as low as 2500 bucks financed over 15 years) to get seats in the lower level or mezzanine where they could actually see and enjoy a football game.

I guess when the first group finally croaks and the second group gives up their tickets after this year the SOJF population will finally be reduced to the extremely small demographic it deserves to be,

[QUOTE=sameoldjets;3820840]really so same old jets fans are the problem? [/QUOTE]
    They're not "the problem" - they're just being tools on the internet.

[QUOTE=shakin318;3820975]I hear you. We're winning, but we're not winning in a way that satisfies you. Yep, that's definitely a long-suffering Jets fan, no doubt about it.[/QUOTE]
    Long suffering fan who's clearly acting like he's never been 7-2 before.

SOJF gets a lead and sh*ts his pants; SOJF goes 7-2 and sh*ts his pants.

Big picture, this league is survival - week by week and into the second season.

It is nothing less than fantastic to share the best record in the league and not being decimated by injury.

I'd love to hear some SOJFans explain to the Jets D how easy it is to tackle Peyton Hillis because, after all, the Browns were only 3-5 at the time.

Jets played good, timely football last Sunday and won on the road by overcoming some special teams setbacks. And it didn't rain yellow flags.

And yet, this is not enough.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=GreenWave;3821096]Outstanding. Can't believe so few people feel this way.

Oh, and don't forget last year's Chargers. 11 straight wins that probably would have satisfied the fans here who want domination of all "poor" teams, only to get smacked in the mouth by a tough team that they should have blown out.

With every one of these close games, our young QB is learning what it takes to be a leader, to be clutch. Rex is growing as a coach - these close games have led to some questionable decisions from him, but because most have ended in wins, he can count them as learning experiences. People can complain about the productivity all they want...I LOVE that the Jets are winning like this, and I'm still confident that there will be at least a game or two more this regular season where they put the Buffalo performance on somebody.

[B]By the way, there's a pretty good team in our division that literally squeaked out victories for three consecutive seasons. They won SBs in 2 of those 3 years. Then a few years later the team got all this talent, and dominated week in and week out. What happened when that team got to the SB?
    To me, winning hard-fought battles is what makes a team a tough out. And in the playoffs it's better to be a tough out than overconfident, as we saw in '07.[/B][/QUOTE]

Excellent point that I thought of later also. Those SB Patsie were known for winning close, ugly ones. They didn't break your spirit in the 1st quarter, they broke your heart in the 4th. The one year they did roll over everyone, look where it got them.

Jets Insider VIP
    40+ years w/o a championship will make ya a little grumpolicous

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=RazorJet;3820929]If the season ended today, we'd have home field throughout. No matter how we got there.
    If this team ever comes together completely, I'll Namath the SB, b/c we'll be hands down favorites.[/QUOTE]

Being 2-2 at home, is that really an advantage?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Piper;3821223]Being 2-2 at home, is that really an advantage?[/QUOTE]

No. We've already established that the new breed of PSL "fans" are incapable of contributing to a home field advantage. And they've already told us how it doesn't matter.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=sg3;3821116]I don't think SOJF are bandwagoneers from Hard Knocks, actually

long time Joe Benigno types who are professional gloom and doomers --- these are the ones whose main claim to fame is that the Jets haven't won a superbowl in 40 years. Thus, going to three AFC championship games and multiple postseason appearances, a 7-2 record, first place in the division, 5-0 on the road and the rest all mean nothing because our kicker had a bad day. Included in this group are geniuses who have actually stated that if the Jets don't win the superbowl in a year, they are a failure

the second group are the zip code fans, couch potato complainers and upper deckers who will never forgive the jets for moving them from the 50 yard line mezzanine seats they sat in for 75 bucks a game for 25 years. They are angry and will remain angry mainly because they were too cheap to invest a minimal amount (as low as 2500 bucks financed over 15 years) to get seats in the lower level or mezzanine where they could actually see and enjoy a football game.

I guess when the first group finally croaks and the second group gives up their tickets after this year the SOJF population will finally be reduced to the extremely small demographic it deserves to be,[/QUOTE]

And you certainly deserve each other...

Maybe you could use some of that cash to learn something about the game, Mr. internet rich guy.

Love your pom poms, but they have nacho sauce on them. Probably made messy when the lights went out in the new fab stadium.

"Investment" - that's funny.
    Last edited by Piper; 11-16-2010 at 09:41 AM.

[QUOTE=sg3;3821116]I don't think SOJF are bandwagoneers from Hard Knocks, actually

I guess when the first group finally croaks and the second group gives up their tickets after this year the SOJF population will finally be reduced to the extremely small demographic it deserves to be,[/QUOTE]

Great post.

I am optimistic because all teams go through good and bad stretches during a season. Most Jets fans want to be perfect every game, i am more than happy to work out the kinks in weeks 6-10 and steal a few victories and then by the time the playoffs come around we start rolling. The worst thing a team can do is shoot their load early in the season and then hit a bad stretch in January.

Jets Insider VIP
    thanks for the props.

I'm hoping that pipers post confirms that he will be joining the zipcoders, cheapskates and assorted other malcontents in the upperdeck in dropping his tickets and making the seats available to more positive Jet fans who really want to be there
    Last edited by sg3; 11-16-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=sg3;3821397]does that mean you are leaving the upper deck cheapskates, piper?? That would be great, if true[/QUOTE]

For the lower level chardonnay sippers? Probably after this season.

Only great if the team wants to be .500 or worse at home infront of a bunch of people who squat when they pee. And think funding a stadium for a billionaire = an investment.

Jets Insider VIP
    don't move down to the lower level, piper. Most of the people down there like the Jets so you wouldn't be that comfortable. I suggest getting out altogether and watching the games back in L. I NY (where the Jets used to be from)

Jets Insider VIP
    and you don't have to get angry just because every single PSL purchased by any fan of any NFL team if held for 3 seasons has generated a profit.

it's not my fault you missed out on this opportunity.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=sg3;3821414]don't move down to the lower level, piper. Most of the people down there like the Jets so you wouldn't be that comfortable. I suggest getting out altogether and watching the games back in L. I NY (where the Jets used to be from)[/QUOTE]

So, I don't like the Jets because I want them to play better?

Wow. No wonder you are proud of your PSL investment.

So you can sit in the quiet lower level while the real fans upstairs try and bring noise from even further away.