Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: One thing I would LOVE to see going forward...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I would LOVE to see going forward...

on 3rd and <5 and also in the Red Zone, I think this formation could really help us raise our conversion rate.

A Wildcat [I]inspired [/I] play set with Sanchez under center, Tomlinson and Greene as split backs, Braylon and Santonio out wide and Keller either tight into the formation as TE or moved out as a slot.

On any given play you can have Greene running a dive between G and T and faking the pitch to Tomlinson going the other way; or vice versa fake the dive if the defense collapses and pitch to Tomlinson.

We can also run an array of play action passes varying from 3 receivers running routes to 5 depending on what the D shows. There is no reason to have our "Ground and Pound" Fullbacks being involved in our passing game.

I dunno, this just makes too much sense to me...not sure why they wouldn't do it :huh:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFreak89;3821215]on 3rd and <5 and also in the Red Zone, I think this formation could really help us raise our conversion rate.

A Wildcat [I]inspired [/I] play set with Sanchez under center, Tomlinson and Greene as split backs, Braylon and Santonio out wide and Keller either tight into the formation as TE or moved out as a slot.

On any given play you can have Greene running a dive between G and T and faking the pitch to Tomlinson going the other way; or vice versa fake the dive if the defense collapses and pitch to Tomlinson.

We can also run an array of play action passes varying from 3 receivers running routes to 5 depending on what the D shows. There is no reason to have our "Ground and Pound" Fullbacks being involved in our passing game.

I dunno, this just makes too much sense to me...not sure why they wouldn't do it :huh:[/QUOTE]

I like it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFreak89;3821215]on 3rd and <5 and also in the Red Zone, I think this formation could really help us raise our conversion rate.

A Wildcat [I]inspired [/I] play set with Sanchez under center, Tomlinson and Greene as split backs, Braylon and Santonio out wide and Keller either tight into the formation as TE or move:(d out as a slot.

I dunno, this just makes too much sense to me...not sure why they wouldn't do it :huh:[/QUOTE]

On a related note... I would love to see the actual wildcat in goal line situations more. I really think it would work well.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Twice now I have seen Sanchez uncovered when he lines up wide. They need to throw to him in a playoff game.

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting idea. A couple questions though if you don't mind. You said Sanchez under center, instead of shotgun, right? How come?

Also, would these fake dives/pitches that you talk about be pre-determined or would Sanchez have to make these decisions every play. I only ask because I don't think Sanchez has any experience running a read option, and that could lead to some mistakes in execution. Also, would this primarily a passing or running formation, or an even split?

I like the thought though and I think the offensive line could do some good things with misdirection, and having both backs on the field at the same time is something they do occasionally, but I'd definitely like to see it more.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet;3821239]Twice now I have seen Sanchez uncovered when he lines up wide. They need to throw to him in a playoff game.[/QUOTE]

They will absolutely do this at some point this season.

Sanchez can catch.

Remember Hard Knocks? "Best hands on the team."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Polidore22;3821233]On a related note... I would love to see the actual wildcat in goal line situations more. I really think it would work well.[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt mind seeing the Wildcat more in all situations. I think they try to keep it for a "gimmick" type play, but its not like teams dont know its a possibility.

Smith picks up some good chunks of yards on those option type plays, and YOU KNOW he is going to throw it here soon.:yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3821310]They will absolutely do this at some point this season.

Sanchez can catch.

Remember Hard Knocks? "Best hands on the team."[/QUOTE]

Dec.6th would be a good date for it

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This will NOT happen. You need "Creativity" and a Brain to do this. Schotty has neither.

THE END.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=njherdfan;3821306]Interesting idea. A couple questions though if you don't mind. You said Sanchez under center, instead of shotgun, right? How come?

Also, would these fake dives/pitches that you talk about be pre-determined or would Sanchez have to make these decisions every play. I only ask because I don't think Sanchez has any experience running a read option, and that could lead to some mistakes in execution. Also, would this primarily a passing or running formation, or an even split?

I like the thought though and I think the offensive line could do some good things with misdirection, and having both backs on the field at the same time is something they do occasionally, but I'd definitely like to see it more.[/QUOTE]

I say Sanchez under center because I think it will help when we call play action. If he is in Shotgun it gives the D more of an opportunity to see that he didn't actually hand the ball off. While it would be probably be best if Sanchez made the decision to pitch or dive, like you said he doesn't have the experience so it would more than likely have to be predetermined. I honestly think this formation could be an even split between pass and run.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a bad thought... could work. Concerns are it is minimum protection for passing and minimum blocking for a draw, ie Mike Martz offense. If you watched the Bears at all this weekend, they were more successful with added pass protection.

If we run play action, they would have to bite on a formation that screams pass, and it would have to be a timing route because if initial guy not open, probably going to result in sack. I can't say I wouldn't mind running a draw on that play, but probably going to have 5 blockers for 6 defenders. Could count 6 blockers if Greene or LT blocks, but what is that worth?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you imagine the reaction if schotty called this and it failed miserably?