Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else HATE the wildcat?

[QUOTE=ctjetfan;3821377]I cringe everytime I see it!! Also, it seems shotty runs it when the offense is just getting into a good rythem.

Maybe it helps in keeping the opposition on their toes...IDK... maybe if they threw out of it more.[/QUOTE]

I took a stab at that topic and the majority of responses I got was that its working and very well. I too cringe when we line up, but we usually capitalize. I just hope it doesn't cost us an important game in the future.

It can't work every time... nothing does. But my brain works in percentages and we are way over 50% first down conversion or successful plays with this formation. Typical third down conversion is less than 50%.

Having said that, if this is overused, it will not work as well. It is a change of pace, and utilizes a lot of misdirection to take advantage of overpursuit. You can run option and reverses out of this set, and most of the time, someone is guarding pitch and Smith is able to cut inside for 5-10 yards.

I like the formation, but I get scared when they run the option out of it. The option is a dangerous play in the NFL given the speed of NFL linebackers. Smith usually tucks it away, but I always fear an errant pitch or a bobble by the RB.

I'd like to see Smith throw a few times out of this formation just to keep defenses honest. I think a screen to LT would work well out of the wildcat formation.

I do think they will eventually throw one to Sanchez out of this formation.

The biggest thing is catching them in the wrong personnel on the field because we can break the huddle like normal and then all the sudden they are screwed and we can catch them off guard. That's what I think makes it work so well.

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;3821487]I like the formation, but I get scared when they run the option out of it. The option is a dangerous play in the NFL given the speed of NFL linebackers. Smith usually tucks it away, but I always fear an errant pitch or a bobble by the RB.

I'd like to see Smith throw a few times out of this formation just to keep defenses honest. I think a screen to LT would work well out of the wildcat formation.

I do think they will eventually throw one to Sanchez out of this formation.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but did you see the linebacker play that option pitch and Brad just ran right by him because he was flat footed? It was a pretty great play.

I'd like to see them get Sanchez off the field for it and get an additional back or receiver in there.

[QUOTE=LIDeadHead;3821456]I took a stab at that topic and the majority of responses I got was that its working and very well. I too cringe when we line up, but we usually capitalize. I just hope it doesn't cost us an important game in the future.[/QUOTE]

I hope it doesn't cost us a game like I hope any random pass or running play doesn't cost us a game. Its helped us win games in the past so if it ever does cost us a game that is fine. No play call is guaranteed to work every time.

[QUOTE=southside;3821492]The biggest thing is catching them in the wrong personnel on the field because we can break the huddle like normal and then all the sudden they are screwed and we can catch them off guard. That's what I think makes it work so well.[/QUOTE]

That might be even more effective now if Cotchery is out and Smith is in the line-up on most plays. Other teams won't know if he is going to line up as a WR or as QB in the wildcat.

[QUOTE=OHJet;3821500]I'd like to see them get Sanchez off the field for it and get an additional back or receiver in there.[/QUOTE]

Like some noted before, I fully expect Sanchez to get a ball thrown to him if a team decides to completely ignore Sanchez.

All League
    I LOVE the Seminole/Tiger package.

It keeps opposing defenses on their toes and injects a bit of fun trickery which is THE POINT of PLAYING FOOTBALL.

I really don't get these "football traditionalists" who seem to forget that football is a game in which it should be encouraged to tastefully celebrate and come up w/quirky plays that are ENTERTAINING.

People who criticize the Seminole/Tiger packages are maroons. It's the same as criticizing Rex for putting in defensive schemes that only have ONE D-Lineman, 3 LBs and 7 D-backs. Hey, it's SUPPOSED to cause confusion and IT WORKS!

Brad Smith: 7 yards per attempt. Nuff Said:cool:

[QUOTE=Gas2No99;3821513]I LOVE the Seminole/Tiger package.

It keeps opposing defenses on their toes and injects a bit of fun trickery which is THE POINT of PLAYING FOOTBALL.

I really don't get these "football traditionalists" who seem to forget that football is a game in which it should be encouraged to tastefully celebrate and come up w/quirky plays that are ENTERTAINING.

People who criticize the Seminole/Tiger packages are [B]maroons[/B]. It's the same as criticizing Rex for putting in defensive schemes that only have ONE D-Lineman, 3 LBs and 7 D-backs. Hey, it's SUPPOSED to cause confusion and IT WORKS!

Brad Smith: 7 yards per attempt. Nuff Said:cool:[/QUOTE]

:dunno:

All League
    [QUOTE=LIDeadHead;3821456]I took a stab at that topic and the majority of responses I got was that its working and very well. I too cringe when we line up, but we usually capitalize. I[B] just hope it doesn't cost us an important game in the future[/B].[/QUOTE]

As another posted above, ANY PASS or RUN can cost us the game if not EXECUTED properly; no different out of the Seminole/Tiger package.

ANOTHER NOTE: The "Wildcat" was run by the Jets under Parcells and one of the main reasons why Ray Lucas has a broadcasting career in NYC. It was the Wildcat that cost us the playoffs in '97 when Parcells subbed Lucas in for Neil O'Donnell against the Detroit Lions:

[B]Parcells introduced Lucas in 1997 by putting him in at quarterback with second string QB Neil O'Donnell lined up at wide receiver. Lucas set up in a shotgun formation and ran the ball himself for 15 yards, befuddling the Vikings defense in a play that eventually led to a Jets victory.
    He attempted his first NFL pass in Week 17 of 1997 against the Detroit Lions. Lucas went 3 of 3 for 28 yards before throwing an interception.[/B]

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Lucas[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

It's a great way to get the ball in Brad Smith's hands, and as mentioned before we average 7 yards on those plays.

All League
    [QUOTE=southside;3821530]:dunno:[/QUOTE]

It's a polite way of saying Moron without it "technically" being a direct personal attack or insult:D

Rookie
    I really don't mind it at times, but Shotty seems to call it at the strangest times. The Off. is getting into rythem running the ball getting 2nd and two's and all the sudden they are in the wildcat formation?
    I wouldn't mind seeing it used for a whole series if the Off. is sputtering.

All Pro
    as far as the people who wondered about throwing out of the formation - wasn't in the AFC Championship game last year when Brad threw out of it and caught the Colts completely unaware - I think that was due to not tipping your hand too often that lead to that play.

I don't get it. Why is anyone complaining about a formation that is extremely successful for us?

All League
    Just call it the Bradcat.

All League
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3821802]I don't get it. Why is anyone complaining about a formation that is extremely successful for us?[/QUOTE]

Because Jets fans are the whiniest fanbase in the league?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

enjoy it (or hate it) now..brad smith will not be a Jet in 2011