Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Controversial Scanners in Airports

JetsFan2012

Controversial Scanners in Airports

I haven't seen a thread on this and I thought it would be interesting to get everyone's take on it.

There are two sides to this issue: 1) Airport security is absolutely necessary and we should do what it takes to prevent another terrorist attack, including allowing scanners like these that show damn near everything and expose the body to harmful radiation. You can refuse this scanner, but then you must very intimately patted down by a TSA agent.

2) This is a clear violation of our constitutional rights, and there are better, less invasive security techniques that are employed across the world.

Where do you stand on it?

FYI, the NJ State Legislature is taking a bipartisan stand against these scanners and are looking at ways to eliminate them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H9HN...layer_embedded

Hall Of Fame
    Someone in the TSA has to have a relative that invented this scanner. Impressed as they might be, if given the option, there's no way I'm letting "trained professionals" look at my junk and have my nads zapped and I would encourage anyone I know travelling to also refuse.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Someone in the TSA has to have a relative that invented this scanner. Impressed as they might be, if given the option, there's no way I'm letting "trained professionals" look at my junk and have my nads zapped and I would encourage anyone I know travelling to also refuse.
    But the only alternative is to get felt up by some overworked, grumpy government employee.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    people blame the TSA but they are just following the orders coming out of congress.

also I wonder if the constitution right to privacy extends to a public place such as an airport.

No one's forcing anyone to go on a plane. They could train, bus, car or whatever to their destination.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    No one's forcing anyone to go on a plane. They could train, bus, car or whatever to their destination.
    Yeah. Take your radiation and like it. You live in Hawaii? Ball cancer and bags fly free, b*tch

No. These things are stupid. And they won't stop a terrorist attack...it'll just force the terrorists to come up with more inventive ways to attack.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't know - sounds like it could be fun.

paulie - what the are good alternatives to this that you alluded to?

Hall Of Fame
    The TSA is possibly the most INEPT group I have ever witnessed. Then again, DMV, Post office and mist government are inept.

Give the TSA this tacit power and all hell will break loose.

They are extremely unprofessional and poorly trained IMO.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 11-17-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    But the only alternative is to get felt up by some overworked, grumpy government employee.
    I have a problem with spiting myself. If it takes me a few more minutes, I'm not getting scanned.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    The TSA is possibly the most INEPT group I have ever witnessed. Then again, DMV, Post office and mist government are inept.

Give the TSA this tacit power and all hell will break loose.

They are extremely unprofessional and poorly trained IMO.
    At the Buffalo airport this past June, I saw a TSA employee texting when she should have been monitoring the carry-on x-ray machine. Had I not put my phone on the conveyor I would have taken her picture. Too bad she was done by the time I walked through.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

It beats the hell out of being blown out of the sky..

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    These things are stupid. it'll just force the terrorists to come up with more inventive ways to attack.
    So you think we should make it easy for them..

Interesting........

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    It beats the hell out of being blown out of the sky..
    When was the last time a commercial plane that took off from an American airport OR destined for an American airport was blown out of the sky and/or hijacked? If you guessed 9/11/01 you're correct. Why change what has been working since?

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

When was the last time a commercial plane that took off from an American airport OR destined for an American airport was blown out of the sky and/or hijacked? If you guessed 9/11/01 you're correct. Why change what has been working since?
    True but that has more to do with the ineptness of the underwear bomber and the shoe bomber.

You do remember them no?

Hall Of Fame
    True but that has more to do with the ineptness of the underwear bomber and the shoe bomber.

You do remember them no?
    Dean...you fly much? Ever watch them in action. They are truly the airport equivalent of the post office.

The TSA is the equvalent of 10 gallons of water to fill a one gallon bucket. The other 9 gallons is fat and bureaucratic waste. In the 2nd year of the TSA they held an employee recognition event at the Waldorf.

This group is a WASTE as currently set up. It is set up to benefit the employees more than the passangers.

Hall Of Fame
    So you think we should make it easy for them..

Interesting........
    Yeah. That's exactly what I think...

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Dean...you fly much? Ever watch them in action. They are truly the airport equivalent of the post office.

The TSA is the equvalent of 10 gallons of water to fill a one gallon bucket. The other 9 gallons is fat and bureaucratic waste. In the 2nd year of the TSA they held an employee recognition event at the Waldorf.

This group is a WASTE as currently set up. It is set up to benefit the employees more than the passangers.
    I know what you're saying South Park but I guess there is no easy answer.

You can't profile, thanks to politically correct liberal asstards.

80 year old Swedish grandmothers are to be looked at with the same indiscernible eye as young Muslim men.

All I'm saying is, if it keeps my loved ones from being blown out of the sky, I can live with it until something better comes along.....

Hall Of Fame
    I know what you're saying South Park but I guess there is no easy answer.

You can't profile, thanks to politically correct liberal asstards.

80 year old Swedish grandmothers are to be looked at with the same indiscernible eye as young Muslim men.

All I'm saying is, if it keeps my loved ones from being blown out of the sky, I can live with it until something better comes along.....
    Understood..but with that approach perhaps we could all charter a private plane. Probably cheaper when you consider the tax burden of this new servant class of "Workers". cough, cough.

Hall Of Fame

They pay them soooo well too! You do realize that the Air Marshal's are a part of TSA? Starting pay is 29k, you should be able to hire a ton of great people who are able to pass background and receive security clearances, easy man, its soo easy.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    They pay them soooo well too! You do realize that the Air Marshal's are a part of TSA? Starting pay is 29k, you should be able to hire a ton of great people who are able to pass background and receive security clearances, easy man, its soo easy.
    Ahhh..the defender of the post office chimes in.

Hall Of Fame
    Ahhh..the defender of the post office chimes in.
    Look at this "public servant". Just sitting around the job, collecting mad pension and ruining America.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Er, some might say flight 587 on Nov. 12, 2001, in Bell Harbor.

Prolly a shoe bomb.

Numerous accounts of an explosion were discounted by the NTSB before they blamed the pilots in the ridiculous Jet wake turbulance scenario.

In fact, hundreds of eyewitness interviews conducted by NYPD Detectives, many of which describe an explosion and fire prior to the vertical stabilizer detaching.... still lay unread and packed away in the custody of the NYPD, over 9 years later.

The NTSB never wanted them.