Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Greg Oden: Out for the year....again!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Greg Oden: Out for the year....again!!

Former # 1 pick has been out of the NBA 3 years in a row, he is done. He is a FA next year and I don't think any team will be crazy to sign this guy.

The Blazers picked Oden instead of Kevin Durant, who went to the Oklahoma City franchise and has blossomed into one of the NBA's best players.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 82nd Airborne View Post
    Former # 1 pick has been out of the NBA 3 years in a row, he is done. He is a FA next year and I don't think any team will be crazy to sign this guy.
    If his knee checks out I'd love for the Knicks to sign him to a cheap 1 or 2 yr deal...Why not take a shot and use him as a P/T defensive presence in the middle...

Didn't Amar'e have micro-fracture surgery?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    They also picked Sam Bowie ahead of Jordan in 1984. And Bowie was as brittle as Oden.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sam Bowie part deux.

Blazers should have seen from their freshman years in college that Durant was clearly the better prospect. Oden had a pretty meh year at Ohio State and that was before becoming an egg.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Talk about a mush/bust. #2 to Gholston in that department.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post

Blazers should have seen from their freshman years in college that Durant was clearly the better prospect. Oden had a pretty meh year at Ohio State and that was before becoming an egg.
    I disagree. Oden was a first-team all-american and an undisputed stud at a position that has very few of them. His freshman year was very comparable to Shaq's freshman year at LSU and he compared reasonably well as a young center prospect to both Shaq and Tim Duncan.

It is easy to second guess the pick in hindsight now that we see where Oden and Durant each ended up. But assuming that Oden had a clean bill of health on draft day, he was a very worthy #1 pick, even ahead of Durant.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    His size made him the better choice at the time, not knowing how good Durant would turn out to be.

Too bad he cant stay healthy