Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why not ihedigbo at safety?

why not ihedigbo at safety?

In the games that I watched.I took notice of james Ihedigbo making tantalizing hits as a special teamer.he has been with the team long enough to know the system.he can't be worse then smith.who I feel is a mediocre player at the safety position.

Have to figure he has real coverage issues...

All Pro
    I agree with this, said it to my buddy last week. Dude seems way more aggressive as a safety than Smith does, but from what I recall from Hard Knocks, Rex loves Smith's smarts.

[QUOTE=jets rooter;3823879]In the games that I watched.I took notice of james Ihedigbo making tantalizing hits as a special teamer.he has been with the team long enough to know the system.he can't be worse then smith.who I feel is a mediocre player at the safety position.[/QUOTE]

Eric Smith can hit...

Eric Smith can't cover... A safety that hits is not the issue...

All League
    ihedigbo is better as a linebacker/safety hybrid, which seems to be where he usually gets to play on D. i guess kinda like a run stuffing safety with the hitting of a linebacker.

[QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3823880]Have to figure he has real coverage issues...[/QUOTE]

Agree. I do like him as a blitzer in certain packages. Last week was a good example of that.

All Pro
    He's a great hitter, great in run support, and a good blitzer.

You'd have to assume he's worse in coverage than Eric Smith, which is all I need to know.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jets rooter;3823879]In the games that I watched.I took notice of james Ihedigbo making tantalizing hits as a special teamer.he has been with the team long enough to know the system.he can't be worse then smith.who I feel is a mediocre player at the safety position.[/QUOTE]

I strongly agree. If he has coverage issues we will know soon enough! Smith has the same issues so why not at least bring in the faster guy and better hitter?
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 11-18-2010 at 03:49 PM.

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3823953] why not at least bring in the faster guy?[/QUOTE]

if Eric Smith and James Ihedibo had a footrace, i'd bet money on Eric Smith.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=Rexipus Rex;3823938]Agree. I do like him as a blitzer in certain packages. Last week was a good example of that.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. He's a special teams player and situational blitzer, not a starting safety, and nothing wrong with that.

All League
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3823959]if Eric Smith and James Ihedibo had a footrace, i'd bet money on Eric Smith.[/QUOTE]
    ditto

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3823965]Exactly. He's a special teams player and situational blitzer, not a starting safety, and nothing wrong with that.[/QUOTE]

He seems like he is being groomed to be the eventual replacement for Eric Smith once Smith becomes too expensive and/or his athleticism declines with age.

All Pro
    How do we know if he isn't starting material when we haven't really got a chance to see what he can do in that role? He can't be any worse then smith?

I've been hoping to see Ihedigbo on the field for a while now but I assume if he hasn't gotten more playing time, there must be a reason....

Banned
    great hitter and tackler

poor coverage and really poor speed

They use him as a safety in the 46 defense because he is, like someone said, a hybrid player (S/LB).

you know what's funny? For all the Jets' problems filling the Safety position, a heck of a lot of ex Jets start at Safety elsewhere.

Atari Bigby - Green Bay
    Carrie Rhodes - Arizona
    John McGraw - Kansas City
    Erik Coleman - Atlanta
    Abe Elam - Cleveland

He can't cover. He is good in goal line situations because he can hit, sack and wont get beat on a 50 yarder. I love the guy, he is very intense, but he can't cover.

[QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;3824143]you know what's funny? For all the Jets' problems filling the Safety position, a heck of a lot of ex Jets start at Safety elsewhere.

Atari Bigby - Green Bay
    Carrie Rhodes - Arizona
    John McGraw - Kansas City
    Erik Coleman - Atlanta
    Abe Elam - Cleveland[/QUOTE]

I usually agree with you, but not this time.
    These guys all BLOW.
    Every one of them.
    You want no part of ANY of these 5 guys in our starting defense!

Ihedigbo plays what u would call a Rover for this team. he's not a coverage safety by any means. Eric Smith is hit or miss on this team. Some weeks he makes plays and he's not a liability and other days he looks like he should be sent to the practice squad like he just doesn't get it. He's extremely inconsistent and thats not a good thing for us. I remember one year the Pats put some corners in on safety and it worked pretty good for them. I would love to see if we can use Kyle Wilson or Coleman as a safety in coverage. These slot receivers have been killing us all year. Teams have picked up on A LOT of what we do. They have 2 years worth of film on Rex's D with this personnel and they are exposing us in a ton of areas. Rex has to make an adjustment and give them looks they ain't seen yet. Revis in the slot, showing a all out blitz but then dropping everyone back in coverage. We need to give teams a bunch of looks on these passing downs that they having seen. In a lot of ways I'm sure Rex won't say it publicly but I know he's struggling right now cause his guys aren't winning any 1 on 1's to get at the QB. thats making his job a lot harder. JT, Ellis, Bryan Thomas, and most of all Calvin Pace has to step up big time.