Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Interceptions

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Interceptions

Something I think the Jets have been lacking this year. I'd like to see some more turnovers on defense (a few here and there so far).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3824563]Something I think the Jets have been lacking this year. I'd like to see some more turnovers on defense (a few here and there so far).[/QUOTE]

we haven't had an interception in FOUR consecutive games. i dont think i've ever heard of such a streak in the NFL in my life, let alone for a supposed "#1 defense." if it wasn't for the pass that Favre gift wrapped to Lowery, that streak would be SIX games.

5 interceptions in 9 games is absolutely pathetic, woeful, especially for a team that prides itself on having such a top defense. the worst part about the story is, it's not like guys are dropping interceptions (like the one that A. Elam dropped in the redzone last week), i dont think the Jets have had a single opportunity to pick a pass in the last 4 games. it's one thing if the balls are going to our defenders and they drop them, and that gets chalked up to that's why they're on defense, but when you have zero passes that are even in the vicinity of your guys over a 4 game stretch, that's alarming. we've been lucky to get away with it so far, but how does a team that prides itself on disrupting quarterbacks not even force a single pass in 4 weeks that's in the same vicinity as one of their defensive backs? either that trend is going to change in a hurry, or we're going to start losing in a hurry. it all starts with zero pressure on the quarterback, and then i guess it extends to a coverage scheme which doesnt seem to be putting any of our players in a position to make a play on a ball, ever.

how about Darrelle Revis and 0 interceptions on the year? can't chalk it up to people staying away from him all game, when in the most critical spot of the game, some 3rd string tight end named Evan Moore caught a pass with Revis on him that put the Browns a couple yards away from the end zone. maybe Revis could actually make an interception sometime before next Easter? i know it's so terrible to think that the greatest cornerback to ever play the game would actually make an interception, but maybe, just maybe Darrelle can get on the board this week, even though it's gotta be blasphemy to actually expect that our all world corner could get an interception...

in summation, five interceptions in 9 games is putrid. i'm glad you brought this up, because unless this team learns how to force turnovers, (and don't tell me about giveaway fumbles that the other team has gift wrapped us the last few weeks), it is going to come back and haunt us, big time. and maybe while the Jets are trying to rack up their 6th interception of the season, maybe they could even add on to their whopping 5 touchdown total that they've scored at home in 4 games so far?:steamin::steamin::steamin:
    Last edited by Pretzel M & M; 11-19-2010 at 01:49 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Pretzel M & M;3824565]we haven't had an interception in FOUR consecutive games. i dont think i've ever heard of such a streak in the NFL in my life, let alone for a supposed "#1 defense." if it wasn't for the pass that Favre gift wrapped to Lowery, that streak would be SIX games.

5 interceptions in 9 games is absolutely pathetic, woeful, especially for a team that prides itself on having such a top defense. the worst part about the story is, it's not like guys are dropping interceptions (like the one that A. Elam dropped in the redzone last week), i dont think the Jets have had a single opportunity to pick a pass in the last 4 games. it's one thing if the balls are going to our defenders and they drop them, and that gets chalked up to that's why they're on defense, but when you have zero passes that are even in the vicinity of your guys over a 4 game stretch, that's alarming. we've been lucky to get away with it so far, but how does a team that prides itself on disrupting quarterbacks not even force a single pass in 4 weeks that's in the same vicinity as one of their defensive backs? either that trend is going to change in a hurry, or we're going to start losing in a hurry. it all starts with zero pressure on the quarterback, and then i guess it extends to a coverage scheme which doesnt seem to be putting any of our players in a position to make a play on a ball, ever.

how about Darrelle Revis and 0 interceptions on the year? can't chalk it up to people staying away from him all game, when in the most critical spot of the game, some 3rd string tight end named Evan Moore caught a pass with Revis on him that put the Browns a couple yards away from the end zone. maybe Revis could actually make an interception sometime before next Easter? i know it's so terrible to think that the greatest cornerback to ever play the game would actually make an interception, but maybe, just maybe Darrelle can get on the board this week, even though it's gotta be blasphemy to actually expect that our all world corner could get an interception...

in summation, five interceptions in 9 games is putrid. i'm glad you brought this up, because unless this team learns how to force turnovers, (and don't tell me about giveaway fumbles that the other team has gift wrapped us the last few weeks), it is going to come back and haunt us, big time. and maybe while the Jets are trying to rack up their 6th interception of the season, maybe they could even add on to their whopping 5 touchdown total that they've scored at home in 4 games so far?:steamin::steamin::steamin:[/QUOTE]

:clapper:

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Pretzel M & M;3824565]we haven't had an interception in FOUR consecutive games. i dont think i've ever heard of such a streak in the NFL in my life, let alone for a supposed "#1 defense." if it wasn't for the pass that Favre gift wrapped to Lowery, that streak would be SIX games.

in summation, five interceptions in 9 games is putrid. i'm glad you brought this up, because unless this team learns how to force turnovers, (and don't tell me about giveaway fumbles that the other team has gift wrapped us the last few weeks), it is going to come back and haunt us, big time. and maybe while the Jets are trying to rack up their 6th interception of the season, maybe they could even add on to their whopping 5 touchdown total that they've scored at home in 4 games so far?:steamin::steamin::steamin:[/QUOTE]

Agreed aside from the points on Revis. For the most part this season he has not been the Darrelle Revis that we're all accustomed too but rather he was a "mortal" not the God of "Revis Island" who allows around 2 catches for 20 yards against the NFL's elite receivers. The past few games Revis has appeared to be back to form but no interceptions doesn't mean he's underperforming in those games. Yes he allowed that one catch to a 2nd string tight end but he was in great position the guy made a hell of a catch. Nnamdi Asomugha had one interception in each of these seasons 2007, 2008, and 2009. During those seasons he was widely regarded as a top 3 CB. Interceptions are an over rated stat that happen by chance more than skill. DeAngelo Hall leads the NFL in interceptions, you want him over Revis? Of course not. Point is yes we need more interceptions and it starts with the pass rush, they have too much time, which is why I agree with everything else you stated.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last 4 games:

McCoy-205 Yards 6.6YPA
    Stafford-240 Yards 6.7YPA
    A Rodgers-170 Yards 5 YPA league average 7.6YPA
    K Orton-209 Yards 6.1YPA league average 8.0YPA

Teams are throwing under neath on us not at our CB. As long as we stop the run and Sanchez continues to develop and not turn it over we are okay.

Last year the D had 17 INT's but the O had 21INT's. This year the D has 5 INT's but the O has only given it up 6 times.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ColdAndPointless;3825037]Agreed aside from the points on Revis. For the most part this season he has not been the Darrelle Revis that we're all accustomed too but rather he was a "mortal" not the God of "Revis Island" who allows around 2 catches for 20 yards against the NFL's elite receivers. The past few games Revis has appeared to be back to form but no interceptions doesn't mean he's underperforming in those games. Yes he allowed that one catch to a 2nd string tight end but he was in great position the guy made a hell of a catch. Nnamdi Asomugha had one interception in each of these seasons 2007, 2008, and 2009. During those seasons he was widely regarded as a top 3 CB. Interceptions are an over rated stat that happen by chance more than skill. DeAngelo Hall leads the NFL in interceptions, you want him over Revis? Of course not. Point is yes we need more interceptions and it starts with the pass rush, they have too much time, which is why I agree with everything else you stated.[/QUOTE]

Revis's job is to shut down his opposing receiver, to what he did to Megatron. He's never going to get an 8-10 INT season. It's the other CB's that must make the interception. Rex uses 4-5-6 CB sets at times and I'd like to see them make some plays.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You get interceptions when you are playing from ahead and everyone knows the opposing team is throwing.

Unfortunately we haven't been in that situation very much.

Plus, nobody is throwing at Revis or Cromartie and those are our best people to pick the ball off.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;3825062]Last 4 games:

McCoy-205 Yards 6.6YPA
    Stafford-240 Yards 6.7YPA
    A Rodgers-170 Yards 5 YPA league average 7.6YPA
    K Orton-209 Yards 6.1YPA league average 8.0YPA

Teams are throwing under neath on us not at our CB. As long as we stop the run and Sanchez continues to develop and not turn it over we are okay.

Last year the D had 17 INT's but the O had 21INT's. This year the D has 5 INT's but the O has only given it up 6 times.[/QUOTE]

This is a great point. Its hard to intercept passes when they are seven yard crossing patterns UNLESS we drop some lineman (Pouha almost had the one a couple of weeks ago) back in coverage and I think we will start to see more jamming the middle of the field as teams start to abuse the short middle on us...Rex will adjust to this....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    QB's throw the ball away a lot when facing the Jets. Does that count? Is there a stat for that?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3825066]Revis's job is to shut down his opposing receiver, to what he did to Megatron. He's never going to get an 8-10 INT season. It's the other CB's that must make the interception. Rex uses 4-5-6 CB sets at times and I'd like to see them make some plays.[/QUOTE]

That's the exact point I was making. Nnamdi only had one INT in three consecutive seasons yet was regarded as one of, if not the, top CB in the NFL during those seasons.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Week 1: Flacco - Cro picked him off and almost took it to the house if Leonhard could've thrown a big block downfield.

Week 2: Brady - 4 picks total through 9 games. Half of his picks on the season were against us. Even without a healthy Revis we picked off one of the best QBs of the decade - twice.

Week 3: Henne - Got the pick when it counted. This was our best opportunity to rack up INTs.

Week 4: Fitzpatrick - The guy had a 2:1 TD to INT ratio - threw only 27 times in the game.

Week 5: Favre - Leads the league in picks and it was inevitable we'd get one. Cro also would've had another if Moss hadn't tackled him for the offensive PI in 2nd half.

Week 6: Orton - Doesn't throw many INTs....only 5 in 9 games.

Week 7: BYE WEEK

Week 8: Rodgers - Smart QB that was willing to throw the ball away and sacrifice completion % to not force it into coverage. Take away the 2 BS "INTs" where Cotch and Keller are stripped and the stupid turnovers and we win the game while virtually shutting down the Packers O.

Week 9: Stafford - Dude has thrown 1 INT in the 3 games he played. Nickel and safeties got chewed up. Cro and Revis had the outside on lockdown and they rarely threw at them.

Week 10: McCoy - EXPOSED the safeties. Guys were repeatedly wide open over the middle of the field on drag routes. Cro and Revis yeielded catches where either the guy made a great catch (on Revis) or there was a pick route (Cro's allowed 3yd TD)

The problem we're having is that the nickel and safety coverage has been attrocious. Add that to the fact that we blitz safeties half the time, we don't have any tipped ball INTs. Also, we're rushing 6 and not getting any pressure on the QB to force bad throws. Cro and Revis are playing great on the outside and defending passes, but rarely have help over the top that's actually in position for a tipped ball INT. The lack of INTs is half the system, half the weakness of our nickels and safeties in coverage.
    Last edited by Goodfellaz; 11-19-2010 at 02:40 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best record in the NFL #3 in points per game.

Arbitrary interception stat is arbitrary.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chupa;3825158]Best record in the NFL #3 in points per game.

Arbitrary interception stat is arbitrary.[/QUOTE]

Haters gonna hate....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not many QBs are going to throw an interception when they have time to set up, sit down in a comfortable lounge chair, pour themselves a cup of tea, survey the defense, add milk and sugar, survey the defense again, drink said tea, survey the defense some more, then decide who it is they are going to throw the ball to.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought for sure this thread would be about Vinny Testaverde when I saw the Title. :rolleyes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3825252]Not many QBs are going to throw an interception when they have time to set up, sit down in a comfortable lounge chair, pour themselves a cup of tea, survey the defense, add milk and sugar, survey the defense again, drink said tea, survey the defense some more, then decide who it is they are going to throw the ball to.[/QUOTE]

yep, it's definitely an alarming trend that will hold this team back if it doesn't get rectified at some point.

wouldn't it be nice to pressure the **** out of Schaub all day and register like 5 sacks and 3 INT's or so?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3825252]Not many QBs are going to throw an interception when they have time to set up, sit down in a comfortable lounge chair, pour themselves a cup of tea, survey the defense, add milk and sugar, survey the defense again, drink said tea, survey the defense some more, then decide who it is they are going to throw the ball to.[/QUOTE]

I think this post is a big part of it.....

Also, JMO, but the Jets usually play a man coverage on the outside (not always, but very often) and i think it is less sophisticated of a system for younger QB's to beat. Sure, they have to deal with the complex blitz packages that the jets bring, but at the same time there are less complex cover/zone packages to process for a QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't intercept a pass unless the quarterback presents you with an opportunity to do so. INTs aren't in the DB's control, that's why you don't usually see the same guys leading the league in INTs every year. Jairus Byrd had 9 INTs last year, he has 0 so far this year. Asante Samuel is the only real constant over the last few years. As far as teams go, Green Bay is always near the top, everyone else is up and down.

I'd guess that about 80% of INTs are mistakes by the offense. A bad throw, a bad read, a receiver running the wrong route, or a simple miscommunication. I don't have any numbers to back this up, but I would guess that most INTs come against zone coverage. The Favres and Cutlers of the world will try to squeeze balls through small windows, and young QBs have a much more difficult time reading zone coverage than they do man to man. Also, I would assume that it's easier to make and interception when your back isn't turned to the ball when it's thrown.