Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Damien Woody To Whiners: Sorry Guys, You Were RIGHT

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Damien Woody To Whiners: Sorry Guys, You Were RIGHT

[SIZE="5"]Rex tells Jets to put it all together[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]By MARK CANNIZZARO[/SIZE]

Rex Ryan likes to deliver his messages, whether to his Jets players, coaches, opposing teams or reporters, straight up and without a twist.

Case in point: Ryan's direct and impassioned plea on Wednesday to fans to turn the Meadowlands into a house of horrors for opposing teams so the Jets can make the place the home-field edge it's supposed to be.

Before he sent that message out to the fans, though, the Jets coach was busy hammering this message out to his players as they embark on Sunday's home game against the Texans: [SIZE="4"]Raise your level and play a complete game[/SIZE].

"Rex's emphasis this week has been: Let's take it up two notches -- not one notch but two notches -- and start separating ourselves from the pack," right tackle [SIZE="4"]Damien Woody[/SIZE] told The Post. "We're 7-2 and by no means are we a finished product. We don't want to keep waiting around until the end of the season to [SIZE="4"]play a complete game[/SIZE]."

Through nine games, the Jets have played one that could be considered complete -- their 38-14 thrashing of the Bills on Oct. 3. But privately, the players don't count that game because of the [SIZE="4"]Bills' weakling status[/SIZE].

Other than the Buffalo game, the Jets were probably at their best in the second half of their 28-14 win over New England in Week 2, a game in which they outscored the Patriots 18-0 after halftime.

But their season has been defined by great escapes. In Denver and Detroit, the [SIZE="4"]Jets were[/SIZE] virtually [SIZE="4"]gifted victories by inferior teams[/SIZE].

"Right now is the time of year to step up and play the way we're capable of playing," Ryan said. "Let's be dialed in right from the get-go and carry it on throughout the game. We all recognize the type of team we could be, but we have to prove it.

"If we don't [SIZE="4"]self-destruct[/SIZE] offensively with penalties and turnovers, wow, we really [SIZE="4"]could be special[/SIZE]."

The Texans (4-5), are smarting from three consecutive losses, and are fresh off a fluke loss to the Jaguars on a tipped Hail Mary pass for a touchdown.

This will provide the [SIZE="4"]perfect test[/SIZE] to see if the Jets can construct a [SIZE="4"]complete[/SIZE] performance against a team they're supposed to beat.

"Everyone has to play on a higher level," defensive end Shaun Ellis said. "Now it's [SIZE="4"]time to start blowing teams out[/SIZE]."

In the Jets' two losses -- 10-9 to Baltimore and 9-0 to Green Bay -- their defense played well, but the offense was absent.

The defense has had difficulty at times stopping teams in third-and-long situations, and last week allowed a game-tying touchdown to the Browns late in regulation.

The entire team has been guilty of untimely penalties; the Jets have committed the fifth-most in the league.

Interspersed among those sins have been gritty comebacks, stout defense and huge special-teams plays -- all of which make the Jets a tease, leaving fans to wonder how good they can be.

"You can see flashes of it, but it just hasn't come together for all 60 minutes," center Nick Mangold said.

The glass-half-full view is that the Jets are 7-2, tied with New England and Atlanta for the best record in the NFL, and they haven't even played a complete game yet.

"It's a [SIZE="4"]good thing we're 7-2[/SIZE] and a good thing that we aren't letting it go to their heads," Mangold said. "We understand [SIZE="4"]we haven't played a complete game[/SIZE] and if we are able to it'll be scary how good we can be."

SAR I

All League
    is that a ransom note?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3824589]"Everyone has to play on a higher level," defensive end Shaun Ellis said. "Now it's [SIZE="4"]time to start blowing teams out[/SIZE]."
    [/QUOTE]

:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    More of the obvious, now some people will be completely confused.

Oh good Lord, let the whining begin......... :yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=stanner;3824595]is that a ransom note?[/QUOTE]

Lolz....

As a SOJF, I agree with the premise.

Its one thing to love the record, its another to actually be impressed by the team in comparison to the teams we'll have to go through to win this whole thing.

What saR is saying is "Impress us".

I have no problem with that.

All League
    Great Post SAR. :clapper:

According to some on here, Ellis, Mangold, Woody, and Rex might not be real Jets fans because they said less than flowery sunshine and rainbows stuff about the team. :rolleyes:

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=JetBidi;3824615]Great Post SAR. :clapper:

According to some on here, Ellis, Mangold, Woody, and Rex might not be real Jets fans because they said less than flowery sunshine and rainbows stuff about the team.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=SAR I;3823122]I haven't seen an "A" game except up against the pathetic Bills. The second half vs. the Patriots was great, but it never repeated against another winning team.

We NEED to shout at the falling sky because [U]we in internet-land can actually make a difference[/U]. Similar to a news story being bulletin-board material, [U]passionate fans telling the 7-2 Jets that they're not very good[/U] may just be a small piece to force some positive change out there in Florham Park if it [U]hits the right set of eyes[/U].

And I personally need to shout at the sky because I've seen this movie before.

First 10-1 team to not win its division (1986). Check.

First 6-1 team to not make the playoffs (2000). Check.

First 8-3 team to not make the playoffs (2008). Check.

When the wheels come off the Jets wagon, its usually not injuries. It's usually:

1. Bad early habits that the team has gotten away with, obscured by lucky W's.

2. Overconfidence in an easily-distracted metropolitan area.

3. Dumb losses at home to inferior opponents in November and December.

See the pattern? Afraid? You should be. We are going to lose both games this week, just you watch. Then demolished in New England. All because the team is in la-la land, puffed up by the softest 7-2 record in the NFL.

We need a chant this weekend. No, not J-E-T-S or any Firefraud stuff. "Wake the F*ck Up!" "Wake the F*ck Up!" "Wake the F*ck Up!" "Wake the F*ck Up!". Something like that.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

See, we may not cheer loudly enough at the games for everyone's tastes, doesn't mean we can't find other ways to impact the team.

SAR I

All Pro

According to some on here, Ellis, Mangold, Woody, and Rex might not be real Jets fans because they said less than flowery sunshine and rainbows stuff about the team. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

They're not fans. They're players. You people need to stop confusing the two. You are not on the team. It doesn't matter if you enjoy the victories and overlook the next opponent. So stop whining.

[QUOTE=32green;3824614]Lolz....

As a SOJF, I agree with the premise.

Its one thing to love the record, its another to actually be impressed by the team in comparison to the teams we'll have to go through to win this whole thing.

What saR is saying is "Impress us".

I have no problem with that.[/QUOTE]

You guys seem to misunderstand the SOJs.

SOJs seek out the most heart breaking, gut wrenching, cruel way to disappoint their fans. To start blowing teams out now would be typical SOJ. To build up hope, appear unstoppable, carry momentum into December, get everyone talking about how good they are - only to eventually pull the rug out from their fans - THAT's SOJ.

What we've seen so far this year - just win, don't worry about impressing anyone - is the new, better Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SAR I;3824619]See, we may not cheer loudly enough at the games for everyone's tastes, doesn't mean we can't find other ways to impact the team.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

[B]First 10-1 team to not win its division (1986). Check.

First 6-1 team to not make the playoffs (2000). Check.[/B]

The Problem with you whiners is you have to lie to make your negative posts.. Just from memory I can debunk 2 of them..Last season Denver started 6-0 and didn't make the playoffs and you don't win the Division playing just 11 games but the Pats didn't win in 08 going 11-5..:rolleyes:

Rex thinks the team can play better.

I'm glad I am in agreement with Rex.

7-2 is great, very enjoyable for us fans.

You don't win any title trophies or rings for being 7-2.

And Rex knows it.:yes:

I, like Rex, hope we start playing better, up to the superior talent this roster posesses.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;3824706]But if the playoffs started today[/QUOTE]

They don't.

And unlike alot of Fans, Rex seems to know it.;)
    Last edited by Warfish; 11-19-2010 at 10:10 AM.

This is a wonderful message by Rex to his players. He is telling the Jets that its nice to be 7-2 but we can play a whole lot better then this. Good message.

But if the playoffs started today, the Jets would still have as good a chance as any other AFC team to play in the Super Bowl-despite their spotty play. Because the bottom line is that no team in the league has been consistently good all season. As an example, the Patriots have proven to be more then capable of laying an egg (see Cleveland, second half of Jets game). And like the Jets, the Pats have been fortunate to win some games as well. There are times when their defense has looked miserable. Same with the Steelers and Ravens.

None of this means the Jets should relax and not improve. Which is why the opening article is so encouraging. But the idea that this team needs to be afraid of the patriots, steelers or any other team is more SOJ garbage. The only team they need to fear is themselves...
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 11-19-2010 at 09:57 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3824675]Rex thinks the team can play better.

I, like Rex, hope we start playing better, up to the superior talent this roster posesses.[/QUOTE]
    God save us from the dopes who see nothing questionable in our record.

God save us from the a$$holes who have appointed themselves arbiters of who is a "real Jets fan". Seriously GFY with a cactus or something.

God save us from the chickensh!t morons who five weeks after telling people that they are not real Jets fans are themselves nowhere to be found when it turns out they were wrong.... Yet again... For the umpteenth time.

7-2 is great. I think this is the best Jets team I have seen since we were 10-1 in 1986. This thing can go one of two ways given a closer look at how we have actually played. I hope the results continue to be good. I am not such a complete idiot that I cannot see areas for improvement. Clearly some of the posters in this thread are precisely that kind of complete idiot.

Let's see how this thing plays out. Can the JETS lose the next two, hell, they

can lose the next seven. I'm just going to sit back and watch. Whatever

happens, happens. It's out of my control.

If they *hit the bed, so be it.

I believe this team is different than past teams we have watched.

I believe this team will rise above the ghosts of JETS past and grab the brass

ring.

I also believe in mermaids and fairy's since my little girl makes me promise.:)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

According to some on here, Ellis, Mangold, Woody, and Rex might not be real Jets fans because they said less than flowery sunshine and rainbows stuff about the team. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

First of all there's coachspeak. The Jets could be underfeated and Rex say the same exact things too get them up for an opponent/game.

And with regards to the players and coaches, saying you need to play better or need to play a complete game is NOT the same as saying the Jets are over rated, the Jets have been lucky, the Jets aren't as good as team X, the Jets would get killed by team blah, or that the Jets won't win another game this season.

Big difference so don't pat yourself on the back just yet, players aren't in agreement with SOJFs

[QUOTE=Warfish;3824675]Rex thinks the team can play better.

I, like Rex, hope we start playing better, up to the superior talent this roster posesses.

They don't.

[b]And unlike alot of Fans,[/b] Rex seems to know it.;)[/QUOTE]

What fans thought the season ended last week?

I don't think there is anybody here that is killing SAR for his nonsense the past couple of weeks, or any chicken little that wouldn't agree that the team can and needs to improve, that goes without saying.

I'll speak for myself, but the criticism and chicken littling is complete crap and uncalled for.

Half of the fans here have spent the first 9 weeks of the season, *****ing about the team, players, offensive schemes, coaches, luck, kicker, QB, Rex, etc, instead of enjoying the season a little more.

We are 7-2, in a great position, and a team that has NOT reached its peak.

I don't want the Jets peaking now, blowing out teams, I want them persevering through the marathon that is an NFL season, getting better every week, and being ready when the season really counts, and when it really matters.

IMO, I want to be exactly where we were last year, but with a better record, which we are, so that we have a better chance at a bye week and home field advantage.

IMO, the best part about the season so far, is the growth and maturation of Sanchez, and the fact that he is fast becoming a franchise QB that can put the team on his shoulders if we need him to.

The defense is going to improve as key players who missed time earlier in the season are now healthy.

Holmes is now further integrated into the offense and gaining chemistry with a maturing and developing Sanchez.

I think the team is right where it needs to be, and I love what Rex is doing here for this week.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=EM31;3824718]God save us from the dopes who see nothing questionable in our record.

God save us from the a$$holes who have appointed themselves arbiters of who is a "real Jets fan". Seriously GFY with a cactus or something.

God save us from the chickensh!t morons who five weeks after telling people that they are not real Jets fans are themselves nowhere to be found when it turns out they were wrong.... Yet again... For the umpteenth time.

7-2 is great. I think this is the best Jets team I have seen since we were 10-1 in 1986. This thing can go one of two ways given a closer look at how we have actually played. [B]I hope the results continue to be good. I am not such a complete idiot that I cannot see areas for improvement. Clearly some of the posters in this thread are precisely that kind of complete idiot.[/B][/QUOTE]
    We have yet to play a game with all 3 parts of the team clicking together and we must improve in order to do well in the playoffs.. However I can't see calling people idiots because they are happy with 7-2 nor can I see anyone saying someone isn't a "Real Jet fan" because they constantly whine and live in a world of negativity.. Annoying perhaps but it should have no bearing on what type of fan they are.. The problem I have is instead of just a discussion of the pro's and con's of the team it's gets to name calling if you don't agree with the poster no matter which side he's on..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Damien Woody should be focusing on his own sub-par play, almost getting Sanchez killed.

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3824758]What fans thought the season ended last week?[/quote]

All the ones whose been reponding that fans who want to see improvement are "bad SOJ fans", "depressed", "not enjoying it", and "Stupid".

If you don't recall there replies, might I suggest the "Search" feature above.

Add in all the "sit back, enjoy it (i.e. shut up!), if the season ended today..."

[QUOTE]I don't think there is anybody...that wouldn't agree that the team can and needs to improve, that goes without saying.[/QUOTE]

Then we agree.

[QUOTE]I'll speak for myself, but the criticism and chicken littling is complete crap and uncalled for.[/QUOTE]

Define "chicken littleing" please. Cite an example.

Would simply saying "the play vs. Detriot and Cleveland isn't good enough to beat good teams like Pittsburgh and New England" count, in your eyes, as "chicken littling", or is it a logical observation?

[quote]I think the team is right where it needs to be, and I love what Rex is doing here for this week.[/QUOTE]

I agree, sitting at 7-2 having played (in some minds) below their abillities/talent, in first place and top in the conference.

And yet Rex, like me, OCCH, Piper and SAR, still thinks the team can and should be playing better. Which is all most of us have said (SAR a bit more trolltasticly, as is his style), and we have taken alot of abuse for that this week. Implication being we should simply shut up and "enjoy it".

The point is legit, the season does not end today, and 7-2 is great, but the quality of play isn't good enough yet. And we (the named above) simply believe this team has the talent to play much better than they have.

And for that, we've been called bad sojf and worse all week. For believeing int he team, and it's potential.

One can only lol sometimes.
    Last edited by Warfish; 11-19-2010 at 11:00 AM.