Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why we are a much better team then last year

Veteran

Why we are a much better team then last year

Last year as you know the consensus is that we "Lucked" ourselves into the playoffs with a 9-7 record. I disagree with that completely. If you remember last year we were almost a dominant team we were in every single game and if you change 4-5 plays we are 13-3 or 12-4 instead of 9-7.

My biggest problem with the Jets last year, is that when critical moments in the game came up, the Jets were unable to make the plays and ended up costing us some games. Lets look at our first 9 games last year:

1. NYJ 24 @ HOU 7 - Win
    2. NE 9 @ NYJ 16 - Win
    3. TEN 17 @ NYJ 24 - Win
    4. NYJ 10 @ NO 24 - Loss
    5. NYJ 27 @ MIA 31 - Loss (Defense Gives up a td in the last 20 seconds)
    6. BUF 16 @ NYJ 13 - Loss (6 picks, and stupid penalties in OT cost us a fg)
    7. NYJ 38 @ OAK 0 - Win
    8. MIA 30 @ NYJ 25 - Loss (1 FUmble for 7, 2 Runbacks for 14, Sanchez fails to get us a td on the final drive)
    9. JAC 24 @ NYJ 22 - Loss (Defense gives up long drive, and FG to loose the game)

Record - 4-5

This year, our greatest improvement is the ability to make those plays in critical times. The game of football is determined by 2-3 plays and too often in the past the Jets teams failed to make them or rise to the occasion. Here is our record these first 9 games:

1. BAL 10 @ NYJ 9 - Loss
    2. NE 14 @ NYJ 28 - Win
    3. NYJ 31 @ MIA 23 - Win (Defense Seals the game with a pick)
    4. NYJ 38 @ BUF 14 - Win
    5. MIN 20 @ NYJ 29 - Win (Pick 6 to seal the game)
    6. NYJ 24 @ DEN 20 - Win (Sanchez TD Drive to win)
    7. GB 9 @ NYJ 0 - Loss
    8. NYJ 23 @ DET 20 - Win (13 Point comeback in final 3 minutes)
    9. NYJ 26 @ CLE 20 - Win (TD drive at the end of OT period)

So yes these are close games, but a major difference is that the Jets are making the plays they need to win the game. I know we were all excited to have a completely dominating team, but a team that doesn't loose, or get lost in the big moments of games like we did last year is a MAJOR improvement over what we have seen of Jets teams in the past.

The Patriots are a team that have always excelled in close games, and have always capitalized when given the opportunity. In fact if you look over many of the pats winning seasons, many of them are similar to what we have going now. Many times throughout their "Dynasty*' they were outplayed, or made mistakes, but they were ALWAYS able to sneak out a win by making just enough plays.

Now they have tom Brady and BB who are close vested, and we have the loudmouth REX and big talking defense so have more scruitnity. But if you ask me if I would rather blow bad teams out (like the giants) or to do something the Jets have NEVER done, which is rise to the occasion and make those critical plays. I choose the later.

Jets Insider VIP
    Very good post.

And brave of you , considering someone will be along with some nonsense. :rolleyes:

Despite what seems like a better defense last year. we are winning because we are on the plus side of the turnover margin. We basically have the same team, just a better Sanchez.

All Pro
    I agree that we're making and getting "those inches" as Al Pacino talked about. I'm totally fine with 7-2 and we are who we are, a team that needs to be on it's toes working harder every week.

My biggest concern is our defense eroding.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[B]Then[/B] last year what?

Jets Insider VIP
    I think its pretty simple.

10 Sanchez >> 09 Sanchez

We knew this going in: this team will be ultimately defined by the play it gets from behind center.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3824762]

My biggest concern is our defense eroding.[/QUOTE]

Our blitz is much worse than last year. Last year I loved third and ten, this year it scares the s*** out of me.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;3824774]I think its pretty simple.

10 Sanchez >> 09 Sanchez

We knew this going in: this team will be ultimately defined by the play it gets from behind center.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Improved QB play is the #1 reason that this team is better.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3824775]Our blitz is much worse than last year. Last year I loved third and ten, this year it scares the s*** out of me.[/QUOTE]

Ya.. I mean we've been struggling all year to get pressure on the QB, but last week... WOW. It was pathetic.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;3824774]I think its pretty simple.

10 Sanchez >> 09 Sanchez

We knew this going in: this team will be ultimately defined by the play it gets from behind center.[/QUOTE]

Plus improved ST's.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3824797]Ya.. I mean we've been struggling all year to get pressure on the QB, but last week... WOW. It was pathetic.[/QUOTE]

at least they stopped sending the cavalry when they figured out it wasn't working

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;3824800]Plus improved ST's.[/QUOTE]

Plus a team that rises to the occassion instead of one that comes oh so close only to let it slip through their fingers.

THAT is the biggest difference.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=Funaz;3824804]Plus a team that rises to the occassion instead of one that comes oh so close only to let it slip through their fingers.

THAT is the biggest difference.[/QUOTE]

Actually that is their biggest downfall, good teams don't put themselves in these situations or at least not as often and against lesser opponents, enjoy it while it lasts. They should beat Houston by at least 10 Sunday, Houston is not very good.

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3824803]at least they stopped sending the cavalry when they figured out it wasn't working[/QUOTE]

I think the Browns may have one of the top Olines in the league.
    They completely SMASHED the Patriots defense.

Rex & Pettine had to be careful to with Hillis coming out of the backfield if you send too many.
    How Denver let that guy go is a mystery I will never discern.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetster;3824814]I think the Browns may have one of the top Olines in the league.
    They completely SMASHED the Patriots defense.

Rex & Pettine had to be careful to with Hillis coming out of the backfield if you send too many.
    How Denver let that guy go is a mystery I will never discern.[/QUOTE]

we prepared for them like teams prepare for Sanchez, make the quarterback beat you.

Funaz u forgot to write next to the saints game that 2 of sanchez turnovers were touchdowns take them away and its a 10-10 game

Jets Insider VIP
    It is strange to compare us to last year. This year we do not run the ball as well as last year. This year, our defense is not as good as it was last year.

Yet, we are winning more games then we were last year.

I guess it boils down to the qb not giving the ball away as much as he was last year.

All League
    Simple...in years past we lose those close (lucky) games, now we are figuring a way to come out on the winning side , the ball is bouncing in our favor. If you look at all the championship teams in the past this is how there year goes, every once in a while the football Gods have to be on your side.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=david1023;3824716]Despite what seems like a better defense last year. we are winning because we are on the plus side of the turnover margin. We basically have the same team, just a better Sanchez.[/QUOTE]

+ 1

Less turnovers from Sanchez, but also clutch drives and plays

Defense isn't as good, O is better because Sanchez is better. The Saints, Vikings, Dallas and Colts aren't as good. To date this year unlike last year there is no dominating team in either confrence.

No elite teams better match ups against this years good teams on O and better QB play gives us a better shot to win a SB.