Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good read about Sione Pouha

Veteran

Good read about Sione Pouha

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/columns/story?columnist=cimini_rich&id=5822801[/url]

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Coaches and teammates marvel at Sione Pouha's strength. He can squat-lift 600 pounds, flip a weighted blocking sled as though it were made of plastic and immobilize offensive linemen with one arm. He's among the two or three strongest players on the New York Jets, a blue-collar tough guy who believes in hard work.

And the spiritual power of his long, curly black hair.

[+] EnlargeSione Pouha
    As Sione Pouha's father, Sonasi, was dying last year of pancreatic cancer, his final act was to stroke his son's hair.
    "Every time I need help or find myself in a tough situation," Pouha said, "I'll touch my hair."

In those moments, the massive, 325-pound nose tackle gently strokes his hair because his father, Sonasi Pouha, touched it as he lay on his death bed. It was his final gesture on earth, a father's way of telling his only son he was proud of him. This was July 2, 2009, at the family's home in Salt Lake City. Sonasi, 76, his body ravaged by pancreatic cancer, could no longer speak, but he didn't need words to convey a lifetime of love..............................

I think people who follow the team understand how important he is.

Good to see him getting his credit now too because we would be in trouble without him.

Veteran
    Great read, thanks Tennessee. Good to see him get some well deserved recognition.

He always plays smart as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3824660]I think people who follow the team understand how important he is.

Good to see him getting his credit now too because we would be in trouble without him.[/QUOTE]

I have been on the Sione's bandwagon since we drafted him, a great player and a great man.

He was overlooked by many because he entered the draft a few years later then most for fulfilling his religious mission/obligations before pursuing his football career. How many guys do you know that have that kind of discipline?

A shoutout to # 91 the man in the middle of the Jets D-Line. :thumbup:
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 11-19-2010 at 09:48 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3824686]I have been on the Sione's bandwagon since we drafted him, a great player and a great man.

He was overlooked by many because he entered the draft a few years later then most for fulfilling his religious mission/obligations before pursuing his football career. How many guys do you know that have that kind of discipline?

A shoutout to # 91 the man in the middle of the Jets D-Line. :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

And there was a large and vocal contingent on this site who loudly proclaimed at every opportunity what a complete bust this guy was. A waste of a roster spot. How he did not deserve to be in the CFL let alone in the NFL. A joke.

Many of those people are high post count posters who still contribute here today. How embarrassing it must be for them to see how well he has done. Not quite as bad as Bitonti with DRob or Gholston but close.

All Pro
    Him and DeVito are really the unsung heroes of our season so far. Without their toughness and physicality upfront, we would never be as good a defense as we are now.

[QUOTE=EM31;3824725]Many of those people are high post count posters who still contribute here today. How embarrassing it must be for them to see how well he has done. Not quite as bad as Bitonti with DRob or Gholston but close.[/QUOTE]

I always believed in Pouha does that pay down my Drob debt? i always believe in the Jets players no matter how little they seem to contribute. they can put that on my tombstone "He loved the Jets"

All Pro
    BTW very touching piece by Cimini... it is easy to root for guys like Sione...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=EM31;3824725]And there was a large and vocal contingent on this site who loudly proclaimed at every opportunity what a complete bust this guy was. A waste of a roster spot. How he did not deserve to be in the CFL let alone in the NFL. A joke.

Many of those people are high post count posters who still contribute here today. How embarrassing it must be for them to see how well he has done. Not quite as bad as Bitonti with DRob or Gholston but close.[/QUOTE]

I still have healing bruises from the bashing I took on this board for proclaiming that Pouha would be "A force in the middle of the Jets D-Line", I even had Sione in my signature with that very quote for quite a while.

But for every one that I get right, I get some wrong too, like Kellen Clemens & Adrien Clarke. :(

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=EM31;3824725]And there was a large and vocal contingent on this site who loudly proclaimed at every opportunity what a complete bust this guy was. A waste of a roster spot. How he did not deserve to be in the CFL let alone in the NFL. A joke.

Many of those people are high post count posters who still contribute here today. How embarrassing it must be for them to see how well he has done. Not quite as bad as Bitonti with DRob or Gholston but close.[/QUOTE]

:clapper:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3824751]I always believed in Pouha does that pay down my Drob debt?[/QUOTE]
    It certainly does!

:D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3824764]I still have healing bruises from the bashing I took on this board for proclaiming that Pouha would be "A force in the middle of the Jets D-Line", I even had Sione in my signature with that very quote for quite a while.

But for every one that I get right, I get some wrong too, like Kellen Clemens & Adrien Clarke. :([/QUOTE]
    I was in the "Great story, wait and see" camp. Hats off to those who thought he would be a force.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3824660]I think people who follow the team understand how important he is.

Good to see him getting his credit now too because we would be in trouble without him.[/QUOTE]

Quite right.

Two years in a row he has had to step up into a bigger and critical role after Jenkins went down.

Saw him on "Jets GamePlan" recently. Pretty cheerful guy. Could use a Comb, though. 'cause his hair was sticking out all over the place. :D

Jets Insider VIP
    very excellent story,
    Thanks for the post!

Pouha's dad his mane man forever

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/columns/story?columnist=cimini_rich&id=5822801"]New York Jets tackle Sione Pouha[/URL]

Great article/video by Rich Cimini!

Pouha's been so underrated the past couple of years. I hope the Jets resign him before everyone begins to realize he's a top 5 NT in the league.

EDIT: Sorry mods, please merge.
    Last edited by Miracle In The Meadowlands; 11-19-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=bitonti;3824751]I always believed in Pouha does that pay down my Drob debt? i always believe in the Jets players no matter how little they seem to contribute. they can put that on my tombstone [B]"He loved the Jets....but was wrong about D'Rob[/B]"[/QUOTE]

That's fair.

Pouha is our secret weapon. Hopefully he can keep this up for the next few years. He's already 31 years old.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3824751]I always believed in Pouha does that pay down my Drob debt? i always believe in the Jets players no matter how little they seem to contribute. they can put that on my tombstone "He loved the Jets"[/QUOTE]

Try telling that to Joe McKnight, Adrian Clarke and Matt Slauson. you hated them and never gave an inch re mcKnight & Clarke. Slauson well if he give sup a sack I am sure you will go into your usual war dance.