Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KICKING NEWS: Not Everyone Practiced at Florham Park

Hall Of Fame

KICKING NEWS: Not Everyone Practiced at Florham Park

[QUOTE]Westhoff sent K Nick Folk , P Steve Weatherford and long snapper Tanner Purdum to New Meadowlands Stadium after practice to work on the winds there.

Folk said the visit showed them similar wind patterns to their last home game against the Packers, with wind coming on through the sides of the stadium and pushing toward the visitor's sideline. Folk said "you can use it to your advantage" knowing the patterns.

Westhoff said Folk made 20-of-22 at the stadium. Folk said he made one as long as 58 yards.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/sources_cotchery_won_take_field_RyclWKdGMhsViKYFCFMGTN[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

I <3 Mike Westoff.

:yes:

Im pretty surprised we arent having the whole team practice at the stadium once a week, at least on home game weeks.

Sure its a bit of a pain to get everyone over there, but experience dealing with the wind, shadows, etc can only help sanchez and the other skill players get used to the conditions.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=eaglenj;3824900]Im pretty surprised we arent having the whole team practice at the stadium once a week, at least on home game weeks.

Sure its a bit of a pain to get everyone over there, but experience dealing with the wind, shadows, etc can only help sanchez and the other skill players get used to the conditions.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing its not really feasible in terms of staffing the place for a practice, having the lights on, the lockerrooms opened up and attended, etc.

With just two guys, they can simply hop a fence when the security guard isn't looking. :P

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=eaglenj;3824900]Im pretty surprised we arent having the whole team practice at the stadium once a week, at least on home game weeks.

Sure its a bit of a pain to get everyone over there, but experience dealing with the wind, shadows, etc can only help sanchez and the other skill players get used to the conditions.[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea and I agree 100 percent. As for it being a "pain" to get the players to the stadium, the team has buses and it's 20 minutes door to door from Florham Park to East Rutherford. I'm sure the players biggest concern is how their fat asses are going to put on a feed bag since I'm also sure the concession stands aren't open when the stadium is not hosting an event. :P

Seriously, have the practice facility cafeteria pack up some cold box lunches and hire a skeleton crew to clean up afterwards so the players could practice game day situations in a game day situation environment.

:yes:
    Last edited by Limolady; 11-19-2010 at 12:44 PM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3824908]I'm guessing its not really feasible in terms of staffing the place for a practice, [B]having the lights on[/B], the lockerrooms opened up and attended, etc.

With just two guys, they can simply hop a fence when the security guard isn't looking. :P[/QUOTE]

This...

The fact that Folk made about 98% of his kicks out of 22 total(including a 58 yarder) is very encouraging and lends more credence to the idea that last week was an aberration. :yes:

What concerns me a bit more is the fact that the Jets practiced inside early this week because it was too windy and Rex wanted to have a "crisp" practice but to me it would seem like practicing outdoors would be better for the preparation...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Vin;3824948]The fact that Folk made about 98% of his kicks out of 22 total(including a 58 yarder) is very encouraging and lends more credence to the idea that last week was an aberration. :yes:[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I agree with that. Obviously I'd rather hear a report of him nailing 98% vs. 70%, but until he puts 1 or 2 solid kicking games up, I'm a bit nervous about him. Kicking is largely mental and hopefully he can forget his shiite performance and move on....but until he knocks a few through, its a bit disconcerting.

We know he's talented and has a big leg - that part isn't in dispute.

Jets Insider VIP
    [quote]
    Special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff said because his special teams will be short manpower without Lowery and Cole, he'll use starting CBs Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie in some limited roles.
    [/quote]

This is a surprise to me.
    Not to disrespect special teams...but risking Revis or Cromartie on ST seems questionable to me.

[QUOTE=crasherino;3824959]I'm not sure I agree with that. Obviously I'd rather hear a report of him nailing 98% vs. 70%, but until he puts 1 or 2 solid kicking games up, I'm a bit nervous about him. Kicking is largely mental and hopefully he can forget his shiite performance and move on....but until he knocks a few through, its a bit disconcerting.

We know he's talented and has a big leg - that part isn't in dispute.[/QUOTE]

Look, considering that the last game was the first game he was truly awful, I'll give him another game of that same crap before hitting the panic button and bringing in some other kickers....

Until that happens, it was an aberration. Nothing more.

[QUOTE=GreenGeek;3824970]This is a surprise to me.
    Not to disrespect special teams...but risking Revis or Cromartie on ST seems questionable to me.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. There'll be opposing Special Teamers looking to make a name for themselves and try to deliberately injure Revis/Cromartie out there.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Time for me to play Homer.

Folks missed two from over 45 yards, in a windy stadium. My own rule of thumb is to generally not hold missed 45+'ers in outdoor locales against the kicker.

The short one though.....upright hitter or not, thats inexcusable.

So to my way of thinking, he had one inexcusable miss, and two "meh" misses.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... i assume he's thinking revis to return kicks ...

... what the heck could he be thinking with putting cro in there? ... certainly not tackling! ...

l_j_r

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Vin;3824972]Look, considering that the last game was the first game he was truly awful, I'll give him another game of that same crap before hitting the panic button and bringing in some other kickers....

Until that happens, it was an aberration. Nothing more.[/QUOTE]

I'm not for bringing in kickers now (I'm one bad performance away from that though)....but I'm also not yet calling it an aberration. Unfortunately he has a bit of a history. Hopefully he puts any doubts to rest in the next couple of weeks.

[QUOTE=nycdan;3824937]This...[/QUOTE]

I dont get the lights/lockerroom/lunch excuse....

Practice is about 2 hours usually....

Bus leaves at 930 after breakfast. Guys ride the bus dressed for practice (prob a good idea to do shells and helmets only).

Practice 10:45-12:45

Ride the bus back 1-1:30

Lunch at 2pm....

No lights, workers, lockerrooms, cafeteria, etc needed.

Team spends millions on preparing the players/team, seems like this is a bump in that road....

IMO - they will enclose the sides of the stadium before the Super Bowl.

The 4 open corners that allow in the wind were a mistake.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=frankiepapa;3824957]What concerns me a bit more is the fact that the Jets practiced inside early this week because it was too windy and Rex wanted to have a "crisp" practice but to me it would seem like practicing outdoors would be better for the preparation...[/QUOTE]I think when they're putting in the offense for the week, they don't want the environment to get in the way of learning.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=eaglenj;3825051]I dont get the lights/lockerroom/lunch excuse....

Practice is about 2 hours usually....

Bus leaves at 930 after breakfast. Guys ride the bus dressed for practice (prob a good idea to do shells and helmets only).

Practice 10:45-12:45

Ride the bus back 1-1:30

Lunch at 2pm....

No lights, workers, lockerrooms, cafeteria, etc needed.

Team spends millions on preparing the players/team, seems like this is a bump in that road....[/QUOTE]

Lunch at 2????? What is this Soviet Russia? Next thing you're gonna tell me is that the mustard is yellow.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3824979]Time for me to play Homer.

Folks missed two from over 45 yards, in a windy stadium. My own rule of thumb is to generally not hold missed 45+'ers in outdoor locales against the kicker.

The short one though.....upright hitter or not, thats inexcusable.

So to my way of thinking, he had one inexcusable miss, and two "meh" misses.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat.

The missed 48 & 47 can be disregarded, even if it was the game winner.

The missed 24 was reprehensible. No NFL kicker should miss a FG under 30 yds unless it's blocked or the holder drops the snap.