Thread: Jets' home vs. road winning % broken down since 2001

Veteran

Jets' home vs. road winning % broken down since 2001

Excerpt from an ESPN.com chat today with Rich Cimini. I have not verified Derek in Canada's numbers. If someone wants to further examine this, please do.
    [url]http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/newyork/chat/_/id/35539[/url]

Derek (Canada)

I've always felt that the phrase home field advantage doesn't apply to my Jets. I decided to look into the numbers and here is what I came up with. From 2001 until last week the (playoffs excluded) the Jets have a 52.6% home winning percentage compared to 49.4% on the road. That is only slightly better than 3% at home versus on the road. The NFL avg for that same period is a little better than 57% for the home team. Why are the Jets so bad at home? Is it our fan base, over the past 25 years of bleeding green I have heard more boos at home than on the road? Breaking down the numbers a little further and looking at the home/away winning percentages in winning seasons versus losing seasons for the same time period I found the following: In the winning seasons we won 55.8% of our home games and an astonishing 66% on the road. Conversely during the losing seasons we had a respectable 45.8% home wins versus get this 12.5% road wins. This tells me that the Jets only feel support and comfort at home when they are losing. The great teams win at home, cause they feel the love and energy of the home crowd. Are the Jets fans (pessimists by nature) inhibiting the Jets from achieving greatness?

Rich Cimini (1:15 PM)

Good number crunching,Derek. It's a fascinating question. You can blame the new stadium and the corporate feel, and how they priced out the real, vocal fans, but that wouldn't explain the struggles at home over the past decade. It would help if the team actually does something in the first Q. The offense still hasn't scored a first Q TD at home.
    Last edited by RoadFan; 11-19-2010 at 05:26 PM.

New Jets fans suck.

Jets Insider VIP
    :yes:Im glad Im old skool

It means that anytime the team is good, people's expectations go through the roof. Our team was above .500 last year, therefore, we should contend for the Super Bowl this year. Then the team turns out to be about the same as it was the year before, and people get frustrated.

Even in a year like this, when we are better than we were last year, people are complaining that we are merely winning games, and not blowing people out. We're not a high flying, blow your door off team. We are a plodding, physical team, built to win low scoring games. Our fanbase is never happy, and loves to complain. The Phil Simms article posted on here is a perfect example of this. Jets fans on the plane were telling him "I don't know about Sanchez." Simms thought he was fantastic, but a lot of Jets fan still weren't happy with his performance.

Most of the Jets fanbase is very fickle. It might be due to years of losing, but that's not the current regime's fault. They're trying to change the culture, but are meeting heavy resistance from a lot of the fans, especially the older ones that find comfort in their familiar SOJF identity. The new stadium didn't help things, as it priced out many of the most loyal fans.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=JB1089;3825348]It means that anytime the team is good, people's expectations go through the roof. Our team was above .500 last year, therefore, we should contend for the Super Bowl this year. Then the team turns out to be about the same as it was the year before, and people get frustrated.

Even in a year like this, when we are better than we were last year, people are complaining that we are merely winning games, and not blowing people out. We're not a high flying, blow your door off team. We are a plodding, physical team, built to win low scoring games. Our fanbase is never happy, and loves to complain. The Phil Simms article posted on here is a perfect example of this. Jets fans on the plane were telling him "I don't know about Sanchez." Simms thought he was fantastic, but a lot of Jets fan still weren't happy with his performance.

Most of the Jets fanbase is very fickle. It might be due to years of losing, but that's not the current regime's fault. They're trying to change the culture, but are meeting heavy resistance from a lot of the fans, especially the older ones that find comfort in their familiar SOJF identity. The new stadium didn't help things, as it priced out many of the most loyal fans.[/QUOTE]

I agree with most of what you say. I really like your point about the current regime, especially Rex, trying to change the culture. They have already changed the culture of the team. The fans, it seems, are a much greater challenge. Old habits die hard. I am not sure about the "pricing out" of loyal fans. The Jets' lack of a homefield advantage was evident long before the new stadium, as Cimini pointed out. I find it hard to believe those loyals you refer to are any different, or louder, than the typical sit on your hands season ticket holder. Recently, it seems the crowd sounds significantly louder on TV for night games. Is that because it weeds out the lame season ticket holder and fills the seat with a younger, passionate guy that doesn't care about getting 3 hours of sleep before work the next day?

All Pro
    So the Jets don't win because they don't feel loved? maybe we should chant L O V E

[QUOTE=RoadFan;3825374]I agree with most of what you say. I really like your point about the current regime, especially Rex, trying to change the culture. They have already changed the culture of the team. The fans, it seems, are a much greater challenge. Old habits die hard. I am not sure about the "pricing out" of loyal fans. The Jets' lack of a homefield advantage was evident long before the new stadium, as Cimini pointed out. I find it hard to believe those loyals you refer to are any different, or louder, than the typical sit on your hands season ticket holder. Recently, it seems the crowd sounds significantly louder on TV for night games. Is that because it weeds out the lame season ticket holder and fills the seat with a younger, passionate guy that doesn't care about getting 3 hours of sleep before work the next day?[/QUOTE]

I didn't blame the new stadium, I just said that it didn't help. But that's going on all over the league. All of the new stadiums have a far more "corporate" feel to them. Only the Seahawks designed a new stadium where establishing a homefield advantage was made a priority (they used materials that would allow the crowd noise to reverberate throughout the stadium, and tried to direct as much of it as possible toward the field.

small sample size

there are the fb sites that deal with heavy math but there's not enough data in football to make meaningful conclusions.