Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colts-Pats tomorrow: A different take on who to root for (am I crazy?)

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like

Colts-Pats tomorrow: A different take on who to root for (am I crazy?)

Okay, here me out before you just respond and say I'm over-thinking things. In 99% of cases, you obviously worry only about winning your division, which would make it obvious that we root for the Colts tomorrow. But, here are a couple things I've been thinking about which make me think that a Patriot victory tomorrow wouldn't be terrible.

1. The Jets are an outdoor team. Every other team in contention for a top seed other than the Colts plays outdoors. In my opinion, the worst case scenario for the Jets is playing indoors at the Colts in the playoffs.

2. The Colts are undefeated at home, and have lost 3 games on the road. Few teams have as pronounced of a home-field advantage as the Colts. Their entire team is built around playing on turf.

3. In my opinion, Peyton Manning is the best player in the NFL, and I think he also loses more playing outdoors than any other player. A Colts loss tomorrow would almost guarantee that they won't finish with a top 2 seed.

4. The Jets are undefeated on the road thus far, and they won 2 road playoff games last year as well. Winning on the road isn't a huge issue for this team.

5. I don't think the Patriots are THAT good. I think that if the Jets and Pats are both 8-2 by tomorrow night, the Jets can still beat the Pats for the AFCE title, thus ensuring a bye for the Jets, and the fact that the Colts have to travel in the playoffs.

What are everyone's thoughts? I won't say I'm rooting for the Pats, but I won't be upset if they win. Does anyone else feel the same way?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=njherdfan;3825723]Okay, here me out before you just respond and say I'm over-thinking things. In 99% of cases, you obviously worry only about winning your division, which would make it obvious that we root for the Colts tomorrow. But, here are a couple things I've been thinking about which make me think that a Patriot victory tomorrow wouldn't be terrible.

1. The Jets are an outdoor team. Every other team in contention for a top seed other than the Colts plays outdoors. In my opinion, the worst case scenario for the Jets is playing indoors at the Colts in the playoffs.

2. The Colts are undefeated at home, and have lost 3 games on the road. Few teams have as pronounced of a home-field advantage as the Colts. Their entire team is built around playing on turf.

3. In my opinion, Peyton Manning is the best player in the NFL, and I think he also loses more playing outdoors than any other player. A Colts loss tomorrow would almost guarantee that they won't finish with a top 2 seed.

4. The Jets are undefeated on the road thus far, and they won 2 road playoff games last year as well. Winning on the road isn't a huge issue for this team.

5. I don't think the Patriots are THAT good. I think that if the Jets and Pats are both 8-2 by tomorrow night, the Jets can still beat the Pats for the AFCE title, thus ensuring a bye for the Jets, and the fact that the Colts have to travel in the playoffs.

What are everyone's thoughts? I won't say I'm rooting for the Pats, but I won't be upset if they win. Does anyone else feel the same way?[/QUOTE]

You're going to get slammed for this :D. I know what you're saying.. in a way it's a win/win, but you have to root for the Pats to lose... win the division first and hope everything else falls into place.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=njherdfan;3825723]Okay, here me out before you just respond and say I'm over-thinking things. In 99% of cases, you obviously worry only about winning your division, which would make it obvious that we root for the Colts tomorrow. But, here are a couple things I've been thinking about which make me think that a Patriot victory tomorrow wouldn't be terrible.

What are everyone's thoughts? I won't say I'm rooting for the Pats, but I won't be upset if they win. Does anyone else feel the same way?[/QUOTE]

You've got too much time on your hands.

[IMG]http://www.thepurists.net/Patrons/Members/AlbertoS/Breguet/Hayek/Hayek_L.jpg[/IMG]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why am I not surprised something this absurd would come from one of the biggest Schitty defenders on the board. "The Pats winning is OK". Brilliant. How about this one? "The Jets are better off as a Wild Card team." Seriously dude, you're not crazy.....you're just an idiot.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indy already has 3 losses, so we control our own destiny with them.

I'll be rooting for Indy simply because of my hatred of the Pats, but I agree there is a positive to take from EITHER team winning . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RoadFan;3825732]Why am I not surprised something this absurd would come from one of the biggest Schitty defenders on the board. "The Pats winning is OK". Brilliant. How about this one? "The Jets are better off as a Wild Card team." Seriously dude, you're not crazy.....you're just an idiot.[/QUOTE]

I'll apologize for him. We all know he should have come to you in the first place . . . hopefully he'll learn from this unforgivable mistake of trying to form his own opinion . . . :rolleyes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom Brady is also 18-0 at home or something like that dating back to 07.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    My thoughts are this:

The Colts ARE beatable in Indianapolis. It has been done before by teams like Pittsburgh, San Diego and New England. The biggest factor for our team is to win the division. If you win you're own division, you take it from there. I feel like the Colts are going to lose two more games, besides the Patriot game, leaving them, depending on tomorrow, at 10-6 or 11-5. I feel like the Jets are a 12 win team so we don't have to worry about having a lower seed than the Colts.

The most important thing is to win your division and I don't feel like the Jets will be able to go into Foxborough and win on December 6th. I just don't. There's one team better at home than Indianapolis and that's New England. They have the best home record in the last 10 years, and it shows. Take last year for example: 8-0 at home, 2-6 on the road. Yes, they lost to Baltimore in the playoffs, but that is still impressive and something to take note of.

I am rooting for the Colts because the most important thing is winning your division. After that you can start worrying about seeding.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;3825736]I'll apologize for him. We all know he should have come to you in the first place . . . hopefully he'll learn from this unforgivable mistake of trying to form his own opinion . . . :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I'll apologize for the personal attack. It was over the top. However, his thinking is undeniably absurd. This is such a simple concept. The Jets, and their fans, clearly root for the Colts. The Pats are a divisional rival and the Jets' first goal is to win the AFCE. A Patriot victory is in direct conflict with that goal. His reasoning is nothing more than an overly analytical rationalization of a poor premise. Reminds me of Schitty's playcalling...the only one he outsmarts is himself.
    Last edited by RoadFan; 11-20-2010 at 01:12 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Always root against the pats

2. Always root against the pats

3. Always root against the pats

Also....Im not so sure the Jets are great outdoor team, but thats another disscussion

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Your logic is flawed for one reason....it's not going to matter what the Colts record is if they win their division and we don't win ours.

If they finish 9-7 and win the South and we finish 11-5 second in the East to the Pats at 12-4....guess what....we're the #5 seed and will be on the road against any of the division winners no matter what their record is.

Division winners get 1-4 seeds, wildcards get 5 & 6 seeds, even if the wildcard team has a better record than one of the division winners.

We need to win the division, we need the Pats to lose.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ill be pulling for Indy for a few reasons. One Im not worried about meeting them in the playoffs because I dont think they will win their division. They play too poorly away from home to win.

Two I trust the Patriots to win more of their remaining games than I trust our guys to do the same. I know everyone will point to the Browns game for the Patriots but Mangini is a tremendous off the bye coach and that played a big role. When you look at their schedule their hardest remaining game is versus the Packers at home, where NE usually throttles teams. Statistically they should not lose another game based on schedule and home and away splits.

I want to have as much leeway as possible when it comes to having tiebreakers if we lose to them. I see NE as a more dangerous regular season team than a playoff team. They dont play up or down, they just play games. Their defense stinks but the team takes advantage of bad situations and when the Ravens and Chargers slipped up they won. Those same mistakes usually dont happen in the playoffs when teams are peaking and 100% focused. Our guys clearly play down right now which makes the possibility of us losing a game much higher than NE. Pats lose this week and it drastically increases our divisonal chances.

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=IndianaJet;3825754]Your logic is flawed for one reason....it's not going to matter what the Colts record is if they win their division and we don't win ours.

If they finish 9-7 and win the South and we finish 11-5 second in the East to the Pats at 12-4....guess what....we're the #5 seed and will be on the road against any of the division winners no matter what their record is.

Division winners get 1-4 seeds, wildcards get 5 & 6 seeds, even if the wildcard team has a better record than one of the division winners.

We need to win the division, we need the Pats to lose.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that it's important that the Jets win their division. But I think it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that the Colts will also win their division, whether they win or lose this weekend, and they will get a top 4 seed. I think that the Jets are good enough to win the AFCE even if the Pats win this week, I just don't want the Colts having home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.

The one place I think the Jets will have the hardest time winning is at Indy.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you seen the way we play after having a week off? I dont want a bye. It may just be the one thing that can KILL our chances. This team has not yet learned to handle success.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RoadFan;3825741]The Pats are a divisional rival and the Jets' first goal is to win the AFCE. A Patriot victory is in direct conflict with that goal. His reasoning is nothing more than an overly analytical rationalization of a poor premise. Reminds me of Schitty's playcalling...[B]the only one he outsmarts is himself[/B].[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree that there's NO WAY you root for the Colts unless you're looking "down the road" which is a dangerous thing to do.

However, there is the chance that we'll look back some day and be "glad" the Pats won, simply because things played out in such a way that it helped us.

I don't think we should ROOT for that to happen (which is why I agree with you), but it is certainly a possibility, which is why I didn't think the premise was as far off as some are treating it . . .

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't see any scenario where I would want the colts to lose. The colts are going to win their division. So they will host at least 1 game. If the Jets do not beat out the Patriots, their is a good chance the Jets end up in Indy during the wild card weekend.

I'd rather have the Colts win tomorrow so that the patriots drop to 7-3 and the Jets have some margin for error when they go into New England on Dec 6th.

If the Pats do win, we're going to have a 9-2 vs 9-2 heavyweight battle on monday night. Ratings will be through the roof for that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets_Penguin;3825770]Have you seen the way we play after having a week off? I dont want a bye. It may just be the one thing that can KILL our chances. This team has not yet learned to handle success.[/QUOTE]

Your quote seems to disagree with your status:huh:

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure we should be trying to get a bye. We always seem to play worse after a rest.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=King Chrebet;3825744]1. Always root against the pats

2. Always root against the pats

3. Always root against the pats
    [/QUOTE]

Amen !!

F*ck the Pasts*

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3825739]Tom Brady is also 18-0 at home or something like that dating back to 07.[/QUOTE]

Right. If I were a Jets fan, the last thing I want is to go into Foxboro on Dec. 6 tied for the lead of the AFCE.