Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets OC Schottenheimer considered one of the NFL's top young offensive minds

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets OC Schottenheimer considered one of the NFL's top young offensive minds

[QUOTE]The fickle fringe takes turns slapping labels on Brian Schottenheimer.

To them, the Jets offensive coordinator vacillates between competent and clueless, proficient and pinhead, Mensa and moron.

"If we win, he's a genius," running backs coach Anthony Lynn said with a laugh. "If we lose, he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about."

[B]Schottenheimer, of course, is regarded by general managers around the league as one of the game's sharpest young offensive minds. He was the favorite to land the Bills head coaching job last offseason before he took himself out of the running.

"He's ready to lead a team," said one AFC executive. "He's as creative as they come."[/B]

The 37-year-old Schottenheimer has learned to absorb all the criticism in the past five seasons with the Jets. He was ripped for not taking enough shots downfield in the season-opening loss to the Ravens. He was questioned for throwing too much in the home shutout loss to the Packers last month.

"I call a lot of plays, quite honestly, that really are bad, but the players make it work," Schottenheimer admitted. "I call a lot of plays that are really good, but maybe we get the perfect defense and something bad happens."

He took plenty of heat heading into the bye week despite having the third-highest scoring offense in the league at the time (26.5 points per game). The Jets, who are 13th in scoring (23.1 ppg), have the fourth-best rushing attack in the NFL.

"One of the things I'm most proud of is that I've held pretty strong in a tough market," Schottenheimer said. "You're not going to please everybody. So, I just stay true to myself."

That's good enough for Rex Ryan, who knew, within the first five minutes of meeting Schottenheimer, that he was going to retain him on his staff.

"I know without any hesitation whatsoever that Brian's going to have our guys prepared," Ryan said. "That's why I can sleep at night."

The most difficult part of Schottenheimer's job is developing personnel groupings each week. The process begins Mondays around 2:30 p.m. when he analyzes the upcoming opponent, breaking down formations and blitz tendencies to formulate the most ideal personnel packages for that game.

The Jets' plethora of talent at the skill positions has complicated the process this season.

Schottenheimer's two-digit labeling system identifies the number of running backs and tight ends on each play. For example, "21" means two running backs and one tight end. Schottenheimer then adds a wide receiver's name, college or school mascot to the "tag" to indicate which wideouts will be in the play. Earlier this season, the "21 Pirate" package was used for Santonio Holmes, whose high school mascot was a Pirate. Schottenheimer adds 4-6 new tags to the base personnel every week.

"There's definitely more tags because of what these guys can do," Mark Sanchez said. "But it's a good problem to have. Any coordinator would beg for that."

Schottenheimer builds a gameplan that includes seven or eight different calls for Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes and Jerricho Cotchery as the primary option. Of course, all of those plays aren't necessarily used on gameday. And Sanchez doesn't always go to the first option, either.

"Sometimes there's that fear of a guy falling off if he's not touching the ball," Lynn said. "You want to make him feel like he's contributing."

Defensive coverage schemes sometimes dictate which players get the ball from week to week. A Cover-2 shell, for example, with two safeties splitting the field, will generally create opportunities for players like Dustin Keller or Cotchery, who usually work in the middle of the field. If teams show quarters coverage (Cover-4) or single-high safety (Cover-1), outside receivers like Braylon Edwards could be targeted more often.

Schottenheimer adds one or two new personnel groupings each week. He used a three tight-end formation for the first time this season that confused the Browns last week. He's been a master at limiting tendencies.

The Jets have a nearly 50-50 run-to-pass split through nine games. They've run it more four times, passed it more three times and had an equal split twice.

"We have so many parts and pieces," Schottenheimer said. "That's where the creativity comes into it."

Schottenheimer's flexibility is perhaps his strongest asset. He relies on feel and keeps in constant communication with the players on the sideline during games.

"I'm not a guy that thinks he has all the answers," Schottenheimer said. "If they're frustrated, if they feel like they can win on something, come talk to me. Don't let it fester. Don't get angry.. In no way, shape or form am I going to do things that I don't want to do, but I'm definitely going to listen."

In Week 4 against the Bills, Schottenheimer made an adjustment that resulted in a 41-yard touchdown to Edwards, who had unsuccessfully tried an out-and-up against press coverage on the left side of the formation earlier in the game. Edwards noticed that Leodis McKelvin, the cornerback on the opposite side, was playing off coverage. So, Schottenheimer flipped Edwards to the right side of the formation and called the same play. The double move worked to perfection.

Last week, Holmes approached Schottenheimer in overtime and asked if he'd call a slant against off coverage. Schottenheimer listened and adjusted. Holmes, of course, scored the game-winning touchdown on that play.

"It's a bottom-line business," defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said. "All I know is that he's the play caller for the team with the best record in the NFL."
    [/QUOTE]

This dude should be fired...for realz.

Read more: [url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/11/20/2010-11-20_jets_coordinator_brian_schottenheimer_is_considered_one_of_the_nfls_top_young_of.html#ixzz15rzfL3Tr[/url]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    His decisions are certainly offensive to me at times, I'll agree....:D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Monday-Saturday, I think Schotty's great. On Sundays, he's just average.

Of course, that could bode very well for him as a head coach, especially if he delegates the majority of the playcalling to his coordinator.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;3825933]Monday-Saturday, I think Schotty's great. On Sundays, he's just average.

Of course, that could bode very well for him as a head coach, especially if he delegates the majority of the playcalling to his coordinator.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Very similar to Jason Garrett, whom almost every Cowboys fan wanted fired at one point.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blaming the offensive coordinator is just part of being an NFL fan. Go to any message board for any team and there a bunch of fans walking around with pitchforks and torches looking to lynch the OC.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a known fact that whoever holds the title as the Jets' offensive coordinator, he is automatically hated amongst Jets fans.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    he calls everything ass backwards, hell sanchez was better at OC in the preseason

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;3825935]Blaming the offensive coordinator is just part of being an NFL fan. Go to any message board for any team and there a bunch of fans walking around with pitchforks and torches looking to lynch the OC.[/QUOTE]

A lot of Dolphin fans are convinced that if anyone other than Dan Henning was their OC, Chad Henne would be playing like the next coming of Dan Marino. I've read several comments over there saying that Henning would have even ruined Marino.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    For every Jon Gruden...there are 5+ guys like Marty Mornhinweg, Mike Tice, Cam Cameron, Scott Linehan, Josh McDaniels. Please spare me the Schitty endorsements. I can't take it anymore. He is so highly regarded that Rex nearly decked him in the locker room after a game. He has been called out publicly by both Nick Mangold and Edwards now. Mark would too if he had a little more pull. The guy costs the Jets at least 2 games, singlehandedly mind you, every year. He already has one this year, and possibly a second. The Lions game was brutal too but Mark saved his sorry ass in the hurry up. The worst thing of all is he doesn't learn from his mistakes. He makes the same ones over and over.
    His inability to find a use for Woodhead is another ringing endorsement of his "talents." The guy is making plays all over the field in New England of all places.
    Last edited by RoadFan; 11-20-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's bizarro Wor l d , Jerry.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://www.spreeblick.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/schoolforthegifted.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RoadFan;3825963]For every Jon Gruden...there are 5+ guys like Marty Mornhinweg, Mike Tice, Cam Cameron, Scott Linehan, Josh McDaniels. Please spare me the Schitty endorsements. I can't take it anymore. He is so highly regarded that Rex nearly decked him in the locker room after a game. He has been called out publicly by both Nick Mangold and Edwards now. Mark would too if he had a little more pull. The guy costs the Jets at least 2 games, singlehandedly mind you, every year. He already has one this year, and possibly a second. The Lions game was brutal too but Mark saved his sorry ass in the hurry up. The worst thing of all is he doesn't learn from his mistakes. He makes the same ones over and over.
    [B]His inability to find a use for Woodhead is another ringing endorsement of his "talents."[/B] The guy is making plays all over the field in New England of all places.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Damn you Shotty for not finding a place for Woodhead!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

schotty's clueless this article couldnt be more ass backwards.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clearly JI posters know more then NFL executives.... :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3826001]Clearly JI posters know more then NFL executives.... :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

LMAO

This article just took a dump at all the Schotty haters

The haters and their agenda will be wiping egg off of their face if and/or when Schotty leaves for a HC gig.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3826001]Clearly JI posters know more then NFL executives.... :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Meanwhile we are 7 and 2 and these same posters still have the need to dump on him. Oh well, most of the same ones do it with Slauson, McKnight, Folk, and they still are not hired on as NFL executives. Makes me wonder why? Notice none of them offer solutions, only criticisms, therefore they are part of the problem! Hindsight is 20-20 . Thus after the play is over or the game is over these alleged bright bulbs spew their venom.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 11-20-2010 at 09:15 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sean Payton was once universally reviled by the entire Giants fan base, while he was simultaneously coveted by one of the greatest football minds to ever enter the league in Bill Parcells.

Which only goes to demonstrate one crystal clear point, fans don't know s***!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]"He's ready to lead a team," said one AFC executive. [b]"He's as creative as they come."[/b][/QUOTE]

You can say that again.

Creativity is what you use when your game plan fails and you're lost for an answer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    All offensive coordinators make questionable decisions at times, and as others have already mentioned, every fan base seems to hate their oc.

I don't think Schotty is an offensive mastermind, but he also isn't nearly as bad as many on here think.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would question a fan's loyalty if they didn't WANT Schotty to be "one of the best in the biz".

However, I won't question it just because they don't think he actually is . . .