Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Note to Rex: This is a passing team (merged)

All Pro

Note to Rex: This is a passing team (merged)

Forget Ground and Pound. This year we're just not very good at it. What we ARE good at, my rotund friend, is the passing game. As a wise man once said..."You are what you are".

Say it with me...we are a passing team. That didn't hurt, did it? :)

We'll rush for 200 yards vs Cincy this thursday, just enough to keep Schotty confused.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3827776]We'll rush for 200 yards vs Cincy this thursday, just enough to keep Schotty confused.[/QUOTE]

haha i lol'd

[QUOTE=John_0515;3827776]We'll rush for 200 yards vs Cincy this thursday, just enough to keep Schotty confused.[/QUOTE]

He is so confused already..............

All Pro
    Yes, but at least he didn't call a run on that last drive. Small steps...

I think deep down Rex is most comfortable with us being a top defensive team with a solid running game that puts up enough points to win. But there's no denying now that our passing attack can be a force to be reckoned with. And with the defense and running game stalling a bit of late, they can't be afraid to rely on the pass at times.
    Last edited by boxman; 11-21-2010 at 06:35 PM.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=nycdan;3827812]Yes, but at least he didn't call a run on that last drive. Small steps...[/QUOTE]

TBH...I half expected it.

calm down there guys going into this game against the Texans our QB was ranked 32nd in the NFL in completion percentage. Also lets not forget our O line was banged up today. When our O Line is at full strength and Woody and Slauson are both in there with the way our passing offense is executing, I say we're still a 55% run and 45% pass team. I would like to see more runs on 1st and 2nd down. We did it today but there were times where we could have done it more. our O line at full strength can take over any frontline if the passing game is a threat.

We've got to be a 60:40 pass:run team until teams stop overloading the box to stop the run. Teams are begging us to light them up through the air right now. We have the ability to do it, so we should. When teams take the safety out of the box, then we ground and pound.

REx, we are now a passing team--a high powered one at that like the Colts and Patriots--its all aerial--Our defense is average at best so let the Jets fly!!!!!!!!!!

[QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;3827817]calm down there guys going into this game against the Texans our QB was ranked 32nd in the NFL in completion percentage. Also lets not forget our O line was banged up today. When our O Line is at full strength and Woody and Slauson are both in there with the way our passing offense is executing, I say we're still a 55% run and 45% pass team. I would like to see more runs on 1st and 2nd down. We did it today but there were times where we could have done it more. our O line at full strength can take over any frontline if the passing game is a threat.[/QUOTE]

Slauson was out--thats news to me--Also, no we are not a beat up Oline---the Giants are--with three starters out. Ground and Pound is passe---and our defense isn't great.

[QUOTE=rextilleon;3827850]Slauson was out--thats news to me--Also, no we are not a beat up Oline---the Giants are--with three starters out. Ground and Pound is passe---and our defense isn't great.[/QUOTE]

Slauson wasn't out but he's banged up. I don't know why he's in there. Feel like Turner is a better fill in right now. Woody could have a MCL problem so there will be some problems.

Bro, everybody is nicked up at this point in the season. Anyway, Woody will be missed but I still think there were problems before he came up lame.

[QUOTE=nycdan;3827773]Forget Ground and Pound. This year we're just not very good at it. What we ARE good at, my rotund friend, is the passing game. As a wise man once said..."You are what you are".

Say it with me...we are a passing team. That didn't hurt, did it? :)[/QUOTE]

Couldn't disagree more. EVERY single opponent we have week in and week out presents us with the same gameplan. They load up the box to stop the run and challenge Sanchez to beat us through the air.

Yet still, we are the 5th ranked running attack in the league. That means we get the job done in the running game even when the opponent has more players at the point of attack than we do.

Certainly, our line play was horrible today and would make it hard for me to say what I'm saying, but the facts are still the facts.

We are a ground and pound team.

Yup--Ground and Pound won the last four games for us. Maybe we are watching a different team.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;3827856]Slauson wasn't out but he's banged up. I don't know why he's in there. Feel like Turner is a better fill in right now. Woody could have a MCL problem so there will be some problems.[/QUOTE]

Turner was in for MOORE on a few plays. His temper is dangerous and it cost us today. Slauson will get well as will Woody. Brick was average at best today and NICK did allopw some pressure up the gut! I do not know why Moore sat down for a few plays.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;3827925]Couldn't disagree more. EVERY single opponent we have week in and week out presents us with the same gameplan. They load up the box to stop the run and challenge Sanchez to beat us through the air.

Yet still, we are the 5th ranked running attack in the league. That means we get the job done in the running game even when the opponent has more players at the point of attack than we do.

Certainly, our line play was horrible today and would make it hard for me to say what I'm saying, but the facts are still the facts.

We are a ground and pound team.[/QUOTE]

Against DET we ran for 110 yards on 30 attempts and passed for 336 on 22 attempts. Our rushing TD was on a Sanchez sneak.

Today we ran for 103 yards on 31 attempts (3.3 avg) and passed for 315 on 22 attempts. All three TDs came through the air.

I don't want to get into an argument over this, but the last few weeks we have been less effective running and much more effective passing. No doubt this is in reaction to how teams are defending us, but the bottom line is, this team has 5 outstanding receiving options and a QB who can make all the passes. Why the hell would we not use that more?

[QUOTE=nycdan;3827773]Forget Ground and Pound. This year we're just not very good at it. What we ARE good at, my rotund friend, is the passing game. As a wise man once said..."You are what you are".

Say it with me...we are a passing team. That didn't hurt, did it? :)[/QUOTE]

Always the extreme with some fans, before today, the Jets were a top rushing team. Houston played great up front, and often had 8 in the box daring Sanchez to beat him with the pass, so that is what we did.

It's about balance, do what is effective, of what becomes effective during a game when adjustments are made, the Jets are doing that.

Why does that mean that "we are not a running team?

No, it means we are a well balanced team.

[QUOTE=nycdan;3827982]Against DET we ran for 110 yards on 30 attempts and passed for 336 on 22 attempts. Our rushing TD was on a Sanchez sneak.

Today we ran for 103 yards on 31 attempts (3.3 avg) and passed for 315 on 22 attempts. All three TDs came through the air.

I don't want to get into an argument over this, but the last few weeks we have been less effective running and much more effective passing. No doubt this is in reaction to how teams are defending us, but the bottom line is, this team has 5 outstanding receiving options and a QB who can make all the passes. Why the hell would we not use that more?[/QUOTE]

Well, we may have to, especially if teams continue to stack the box and shut down the running game. The OL MUST play better. That was our greatest strength in the playoffs last season and if we do not show that kind of domination in the playoffs this season, we won't get very far.

[QUOTE=rextilleon;3827850]Slauson was out--thats news to me--Also, no we are not a beat up Oline---the Giants are--with three starters out. Ground and Pound is passe---and our defense isn't great.[/QUOTE]

Slauson's injured reserve was in there. The real Slauson was not in there lets be honest. He wasn't even meant to play that much but since Woody went down the Jets had no choice. Slauson barely practiced all week. Our O Line is banged up plain and simple. Mangold never fully recovered from his injury this year. Turner and Hunter got a lot of reps today in there and sometimes at the same time. If you think thats not banged up then something is wrong with you. I'm not comparing our situation with the Giants, obviously there's is worse doesn't mean we don't have health issues upfront either. Anyways after this week I have a feeling teams will focus hard on shutting down Santonio and just worried about braylon deep and letting him catch the short one's. Keller should be able to make plays within the next 2 weeks and we still need to run the ball. Our D is still good but in the 4th quarter this year and on 3rd down I have no clue what the issue is. These things can be fixed and I'm hoping Rex tweaks things up a bit and fixes the holes in this defense.