Thread: Defense: Are We Better then Average

Defense: Are We Better then Average

After todays game, I have come to the conclusion that the defense is not championship calibre.

1. No pass rush even when they blitz. No pressure from Pace or Taylor and our interior guys are primarily run stoppers.

2. Past Revis and Cromarte, we have a weak secondary. That secondary has been exposed over the last four weeks. Safety play is very average.

3. Undisciplined---lots of blown coverages the last four weeks.

Anyhow, this is a huge disappointment in that I thought the Defense was among the tops in the NFL.

All League
    Yes they are better than average on defense. Are they good as most of us thought they would be or hoped they would be? Probably not, but a lot of people were expecting the '85 Bears. They are still an above average, actually they are a pretty good defense, just wouldn't consider them dominating.

Did you take into consideration that the Texans are a very strong offensive team? Also, that 10 of their points came off of Jet turnovers.
    Last edited by HawkeyeJet; 11-21-2010 at 06:14 PM.

All Pro
    Well, I think a lot of us hoped for an all world defense again yet there are a few reasons why we can forget about that this year: No Kris Jenkins, average at best safeties, no pass rush.

What has to happen this year so we can atleast be very very good: Calvin Pace has to step up and our safeties have to play better.

Next year: Get a ballhawking, athletic safety, get a stud edge rusher and add more team speed.

Excellent analysis my friends. Perhaps Pace is hurt? I think we would all agree that Jason Taylor is finished as a pass rusher.

All League
    I'm not really sure what the deal with Pace is, but he isn't close to the level he was at last year.

[QUOTE=iahawkeyejet;3828002]I'm not really sure what the deal with Pace is, but he isn't close to the level he was at last year.[/QUOTE]

He's off the juice.

Voila---time to roid up.

[QUOTE=Flaming Mo;3827915] No Kris Jenkins, [/QUOTE]

Didn't we miss Kris Jenkins last year, though? We had an all-world Defense with JUST Revis in the Secondary.....

Yeah--we played much better defense last year even with Jenkins out---Lets be honest---Rex has been figured out--the Emperor Has No Cloths--ie. no pass rush.

[QUOTE=rextilleon;3828036]Yeah--we played much better defense last year even with Jenkins out---Lets be honest---Rex has been figured out--the Emperor Has No Cloths--ie. no pass rush.[/QUOTE]

Thank God Rex doesn't follow the Emperor's Lead....I don't think I'd want to see his "Abs". :D

All League
    the problem as I see it, and it's already been said...
    a) no pass rush unless we send the house
    b) even when we send the house, we don't get there fast enough, QB can throw into our soft midsection
    c) midsection is soft BECAUSE we sent everyone and there's not enough left to cover the underneath

i doubt it will get fixed. we just don't have the speed to get to the QB with the guys we are rushing.

if we're to win this year, it's our offense that's going to have to bail out the 'd' shortcomings. special teams returns is average. need a dynamic & explosive KR.
    Brad Smith is commendable, but it takes a huge hole to bust him loose. he's thinking too much back there instead of just picking a spot and taking off.

All Pro
    Gholston pretty much had a sack today. The cavalry is coming over the hill as we speak.

I'm worried about next week. Revis and Cromartie should keep the covers on TO and Ocho, but this feels like one of those trap games again.

Rookie
    Average is being kind at this point. Don't ya think?

[QUOTE=Vin;3828053]Thank God Rex doesn't follow the Emperor's Lead....I don't think I'd want to see his "Abs". :D[/QUOTE]

Now don't go homoerotic on me.

The deal is teams don't even attempt to throw towards the Island or Cromagnom. There is plenty of space open to them with the rest of the secondary and linebacker coverage. No rushy, no Super Bowl.

PS. I think that the Emperor thought that Wilson would turn instantly into another Revis---he might some day but he is a work in progress.

there are tons of mental errors with blown coverages...I hope they correct it before we see Mr Brady.

Depth on the d-line is an issue. They are really missing Jenkins. Nobody has replaced him in the rotation. Pouha, Devito and Ellis are good but they can't take so many snaps, they need one more run-stopper in the rotation.

I was surprised they didn't bring back Marques Douglas, he played a lot of snaps last year and did well.

Pace may still be affected by his broken foot. He had 3 screws put in his foot. Bryan Thomas is no pass rusher either. Adalius Thomas would have been an interesting addition.

[QUOTE=JetsCrazey;3828264]Depth on the d-line is an issue. Pouha, Devito and Ellis are good but they can't take so many snaps, they need one more run-stopper in the rotation.

I was surprised they didn't bring back Marques Douglas, he played a lot of snaps last year and did well.

Pace may still be affected by his broken foot. He had 3 screws put in his foot. Bryan Thomas is no pass rusher either. Adalius Thomas would have been an interesting addition.[/QUOTE]

Good points--although we are pretty much stuck with what we have.