Thread: Damien Woody says he sprained MCL

Practice Squad

Damien Woody says he sprained MCL

Damien Woody says he sprained MCL By Ian Begley
    ESPNNewYork.com

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Jets right tackle Damien Woody left Sunday's 30-27 win over the Texans late in the first quarter with a right knee injury. He didn't return and said after the game that he suffered a sprained right MCL, but would likely undergo an MRI on Monday to confirm the exact extent of the injury. Woody was also unsure if he'd be available for Thursday night's home game against the Cincinnati Bengals. Woody went down after Texans defensive end Mark Anderson rolled over his leg. Woody was protecting Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez on a 3rd and 8 from the Jets' 21 with under two minutes to go in the opening quarter. He was engaged in a block of Texans defensive end Mario Williams on the play and didn't seem to see Anderson. Woody was on the ground for several minutes and was attended to by the Jets training staff before he left the field on his own accord.

Probably won't be in the lineup on Thursday. That'll give him a good 2 weeks to heal up for NE.

Wayne Hunter better eat his Wheaties.

All Pro
    Ugh, hope he's OK. We need him for the Pats game.

We need him desperately. Completely different offensive line without him

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=fullblast;3828446]Probably won't be in the lineup on Thursday. That'll give him a good 2 weeks to heal up for NE.

Wayne Hunter better eat his Wheaties.[/QUOTE]

After seeing Hunter today, I'd rather have Ducasse out there to see what he can do. The way Slauson has been playing, Vlad won't see LG at all next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    I hope Woody is not seriously hurt. I think HUNTER will be ok with more conssistency with the OL. Ducasse is just NOT ready for major work yet. Hunter has done well in the past. Why we did not have Hartstock assist him is beyond reason!

All League
    For all the people who bash Woody, you saw his true value today when he
    went out. HOU moved their rushers over to the right side and Hunter
    allowed pressure on Sanchez all game

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;3828454]After seeing Hunter today, I'd rather have Ducasse out there to see what he can do. The way Slauson has been playing, Vlad won't see LG at all next year.[/QUOTE]

Interesting idea. At the very least, I think Ducasse will be activated and ready.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3828458]I hope Woody is not seriously hurt. I think HUNTER will be ok with more conssistency with the OL. Ducasse is just NOT ready for major work yet. Hunter has done well in the past. Why we did not have Hartstock assist him is beyond reason![/QUOTE]

agreed...

[QUOTE=fullblast;3828446]Wayne Hunter better eat his Wheaties.[/QUOTE]

The good news.....Mario Williams doesnt play for the Bengals.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

FFFFFFFF

That sucks, I was hopeful after seeing him walk around on the sideline that they were just keeping him out of the game as a precaution. But we've been fortunate with our offensive line staying healthy, so tough to complain about a sprain

All Pro
    Honestly, I'd be surprised if the ACL wasn't torn too, that mechanism is exactly how you do it.

Why doesn't he wear knee braces like offensive linemen are supposed to?

[QUOTE=KRL;3828461]For all the people who bash Woody, you saw his true value today when he
    went out. HOU moved their rushers over to the right side and Hunter
    allowed pressure on Sanchez all game[/QUOTE]

+1..And Mario Williams isn't cut and picked up by Cincy :D

Anyone see Sanchez's stats when under pressure? This may be the best thing to happen :)

[SIZE="1"]No, not really[/SIZE]

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... sprained mcl as the only damage is a huge positive if true ...

... agree with the poster who stated that this hit looked exactly like a typical torn acl/mcl combo ...

... there def was a big dropoff once woody went out in protection & runblocking ...

... that being said ... he has been battling it out with slausen for who is the worst performing of our starting 5 all season ...

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;3829194]... sprained mcl as the only damage is a huge positive if true ...

... agree with the poster who stated that this hit looked exactly like a typical torn acl/mcl combo ...

... there def was a big dropoff once woody went out in protection & runblocking ...

... that being said ... he has been battling it out with slausen for who is the worst performing of our starting 5 all season ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

I would think the medical staff would have picked up a torn ACL on examination alone. Would be surprised if it was indeed torn.

[QUOTE=OrangeJet;3829167]Anyone see Sanchez's stats when under pressure? This may be the best thing to happen :)

[SIZE="1"]No, not really[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I saw those. Teams might start playing back and try to confuse Sanchez.

I think Hunter will be the guy as opposed to Ducasse but it appeared that Hunter was in on a few defensive snaps late in the game. Do we want an important part of the OLINE playing both ways? I think it would be more important for him to be resting up on the sidelines and listening to the coaches as opposed to going the ironman route when we need this guy healthy for now...

Jets Insider VIP
    if it's a sprained MCL only, it should be 2-4 weeks depending on the severity

maybe he can buy that Wittle Wesley Wabbit brand HGH and be back sooner than that

[QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;3829194]... sprained mcl as the only damage is a huge positive if true ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

Correct.

Sprained MCL would be GREAT news. At first look, that was your typical ACL tear type of contact.

That said, Woody won't be ready for the Pats even if it is a sprained MCL. He's going to miss a few weeks. That's fine though because it's the playoffs that matter.