Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jim Leonhard calling out the coaches?

Jim Leonhard calling out the coaches?

In a New York Post article this morning I read this quote from Jim Leonhard - An honest question, was he calling out the coaches here? It reads, to me, like he was but I can't beleive he would do that...

“We put ourselves in bad situations, and [the Texans] found them,” safety Jim Leonhard said. “It’s just not smart football. You get a big lead like that, you have to change a way you’re calling a game, change how aggressive you are calling it and we didn’t do that and it should have gotten us beat today.

“Our defense played bad enough for us to lose. We’re lucky we snuck out of here with a win again, but we have too much to correct to get too excited about this.”

Read more: [url]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/defense_missing_kill_mentality_IOrrDGVACukOZSd9QxFZxN#ixzz16146ycFz[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=fidelioion;3829087]In a New York Post article this morning I read this quote from Jim Leonhard - An honest question, was he calling out the coaches here? It reads, to me, like he was but I can't beleive he would do that...

“We put ourselves in bad situations, and [the Texans] found them,” safety Jim Leonhard said. “It’s just not smart football. You get a big lead like that, you have to change a way you’re calling a game, change how aggressive you are calling it and we didn’t do that and it should have gotten us beat today.

“Our defense played bad enough for us to lose. We’re lucky we snuck out of here with a win again, but we have too much to correct to get too excited about this.”

Read more: [url]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/defense_missing_kill_mentality_IOrrDGVACukOZSd9QxFZxN#ixzz16146ycFz[/url][/QUOTE]

i'd say yes to a point....then again maybe he's talking about his horrendous ball skills and how he misplayed pass after pass in coverage when he was constantly out of position...

Jets Insider VIP
    Calvin Pace's comments were even more pointed, though not direct:

[quote=Calvin Pace][B]“There are some things I want to say, but it’s not right to say,” Pace said cryptically.[/B] “We just don’t have to make it that hard. We don’t need something like this to come back and bite us in our [butt]. You never know. Next time we might not be as fortunate to pull it out.”[/quote]

Read more: [url]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/defense_missing_kill_mentality_IOrrDGVACukOZSd9QxFZxN#ixzz1619bpkV4[/url]

With his increased role in play-calling, I'm starting to wonder if it isn't something that Pettine is responsible for at this point.:cool:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

He makes the calls for the secondary so he was calling himself out and how they played is the way I think he meant it..:yes:

The coaches ran Rhodes out of here and didn't replace him. We signed Jason Taylor to be the answer as our pass rusher and Pace off of roids simply is a scrub.

[QUOTE=Savage69;3829112]He makes the calls for the secondary so he was calling himself out and how they played is the way I think he meant it..:yes:[/QUOTE]

The secondary coverages are all pre-determined based on the formation the offense comes out in. Leonhard just determines the formation, he isn't out there calling coverages on the fly like Peyton Manning in a 2 minute drill.

If these idiots start chirping after the way they have played, CUT THEM.

[QUOTE=fidelioion;3829087]In a New York Post article this morning I read this quote from Jim Leonhard - An honest question, was he calling out the coaches here? It reads, to me, like he was but I can't beleive he would do that...

“We put ourselves in bad situations, and [the Texans] found them,” safety Jim Leonhard said. [U]“It’s just not smart football. You get a big lead like that, you have to change a way you’re calling a game, change how aggressive you are calling it and we didn’t [/U]do that and it should have gotten us beat today.
    [/QUOTE]

I do believe he was calling the coaches out. When you have zero pass rush it is difficult to imagine why you would continue to play agressive D with a 20 point lead in the 4th quarter. With our inability to pressure the QB combined with Texas' big play ability, it was clearly a time to consider switching to something like a Cover-2 forcing Texas to complete lots of short passes and burn the clock in order to get a score.

I love Rex, but there are times when I question whether coverage is the smart play, a time to go with a soft zone and not blitz. Simple fact, we do not have the anyone in the front 7 capable of consistently putting pressure on the QB.

On the flip side, perhaps with the injuries to Lowery and Coleman, the Jets didn't have enough decent defensive backs to play coverage and the best available strategy was to continue applying pressure on the pocket.

Has anyone else noticed how much the Defense struggles without Lowery. With him the D averages giving up 13.4 points per game; without him it is more than a TD worse at 22 points per game.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3829099]i'd say yes to a point....then again maybe he's talking about his horrendous ball skills and how he misplayed pass after pass in coverage when he was constantly out of position...[/QUOTE]

+1, I don't know how he manages to escape scrutiny.

The defense dominated the Texans for 3 1/2 quarters.

The play calling had NOTHING to do with the TE being wide open and Leonhard being owned on a blitz.

just wondering if he was referring to the play when up 23-10, both safeties blitzed, leaving dreesem wide open for an easy TD.

Let's hope they learn from this and get it worked out before the Thurs night game. We will be 9-2!

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3829099]i'd say yes to a point....then again maybe he's talking about his horrendous ball skills and how he misplayed pass after pass in coverage when he was constantly out of position...[/QUOTE]

He is the captain of the secondary and they said during the game that he makes the coverage calls. His "we" might very well have been more inclusive of himself than it sounds.

All Pro
    Calvin Pace should STFU. He is playing horrible right now and is not doing anything for what hes paid for like maybe, just maybe sacking the QB. He better get his act together.

Players should worry about themselves and not call out one of the greatest defensive minds in the game.

Maybe our pass rushers, Pace and Taylor, are too far past their prime. This is all Gholston's fault. He should have been our starting OLB or DE by now.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;3829151] Simple fact, we do not have the anyone in the front 7 capable of consistently putting pressure on the QB.

[/QUOTE]

Its scary.

:eek:

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;3829119]Rhodes ran himself out of here and the FO didn't replace him. We signed Jason Taylor to be the answer as our pass rusher and Pace off of roids simply is a scrub.[/QUOTE]

fixed.

[QUOTE=Gastineau99;3829122]The secondary coverages are all pre-determined based on the formation the offense comes out in. Leonhard just determines the formation, he isn't out there calling coverages on the fly like Peyton Manning in a 2 minute drill.[/QUOTE]

100% correct

Jim, STFU--you haven't exactly had an all-pro season. As far as the pass rush goes, it doesn't exist and it wont exist until we get different personnel. Its good enough to beat the Clevelands, Denvers, Detorits and Houstons (barely) but look at our schedule for the next six weeks--it ain't good enough to beat some of those teams. Obviously Taylor is finished, and Pace is either injured on not that good (could be a combo of both) This was a personnel miscalculation by Tannenbaum and the Emperor. Lets see how it plays out.

Jets Insider VIP
    I don't care what they say. Just get it fixed.