Thread: Want to know why games are close?

Want to know why games are close?

Our redzone Offense has been terrible. We really need to start punching the ball into the endzone on a more consistent basis. FGs aren't going to get it done. We let teams stick around.

for the previous weeks maybe, but not yesterday.

i agree our red-zone conversion needs to improve, but that's not what made the game close yesterday.

it was 23-7 in the 4th quarter before the defense decided it was time to bend over.

[QUOTE=GreenSpleen;3829212]Our redzone Offense has been terrible. We really need to start punching the ball into the endzone on a more consistent basis. FGs aren't going to get it done. We let teams stick around.[/QUOTE]

Even though Edwards and Holmes have both had some moderately deep catches, other teams do not respect our deep threat. Defenses against us anticipate the run and the short passing game. I wish Sanchez could hit our deep receivers consistently. It seems he either over throws them or under throws them.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3829227]for the previous weeks[B] maybe[/B], but not yesterday.

i agree our red-zone conversion needs to improve, but that's not what made the game close yesterday.

it was 23-7 in the 4th quarter before the defense decided it was time to bend over.[/QUOTE]

Maybe? Someone should look it up. I would be really surprised if, prior to yesterday, the Jets aren't in the bottom 4 or 5 in the league.

Completely agree. It seems they are happy getting 3 (or afraid to push for 7)

I get the feeling Schotty still doesn't trust Sanchez in the red-zone. It's time to fully take the training wheels off. Sanchez has clearly proven himself.

Sure he may throw an INT here or there in the red-zone - but you'll score a lot more TD's which will make up for the occasional INT...

Gotta get 7 when you can...

[QUOTE=fidelioion;3829280]Completely agree. It seems they are happy getting 3 (or afraid to push for 7)

I get the feeling Schotty still doesn't trust Sanchez in the red-zone. It's time to fully take the training wheels off. Sanchez has clearly proven himself.

Sure he may throw an INT here or there in the red-zone - but you'll score a lot more TD's which will make up for the occasional INT...

Gotta get 7 when you can...[/QUOTE]

Why does Rex trust Schotty?

Banned
    Maybe our moron OC should stop calling plays in the shotgun formation every time we get in the red zone.

[QUOTE=fidelioion;3829280]Completely agree. It seems they are happy getting 3 (or afraid to push for 7)

Gotta get 7 when you can...[/QUOTE]

i've noticed that when the jets have a lead, the playcalling tends to get very conservative in the redzone, especially if they're winning by at least a td. i think this directive filters down from ryan, who has (perhaps to a fault) such faith in his defense to protect even modest leads. but as the weeks go by and the offense keeps bailing out the defense, ryan and schotty may need to rethink how aggressive they get when they're at the opponent's 20-25 yard lines because clearly the lack of pass rush is much more of a factor this year than last year.

1st Quarter woes continue.
    Leonard takes punt to Houston 30 yard line.

Fans go crazy

Jets go ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft on offense

Folk kicks field goal

In New England, Pats take 1st three possessions the entire length of field & score consecutive TOUCH DOWNS to go up 21-0, the start of a game that essentionally SAVED their collective a*ses from being upset.

If Pats come out slow in that game, THEY LOSE!

The Jets D only allows TD's when the other team needs TD's.

[QUOTE=RoadFan;3829260]Maybe? Someone should look it up. I would be really surprised if, prior to yesterday, the Jets aren't in the bottom 4 or 5 in the league.[/QUOTE]

you're right.

i was just pointing out that while our red zone efficiency could've/should've been better yesterday, especially in the first possession, that it wasn't the reason why this particular game was close.

the offense did what they were supposed to yesterday, providing a 16-point lead in the 4th quarter. the defense just **** the bed.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;3829310]i've noticed that when the jets have a lead, the playcalling tends to get very conservative in the redzone, especially if they're winning by at least a td. i think this directive filters down from ryan, who has (perhaps to a fault) such faith in his defense to protect even modest leads. but as the weeks go by and the offense keeps bailing out the defense, ryan and schotty may need to rethink how aggressive they get when they're at the opponent's 20-25 yard lines because clearly the lack of pass rush is much more of a factor this year than last year.[/QUOTE]

I think you're on to something here. One thing that has to be emphasized is the less than stellar play of our offensive line, which is declining in pass protection and forcing a lot of pressures. No playcalling will survive that kind of disruption; it takes an offense out of its gameplan. Sanchez has survived by scrambling and extending the play, but that isn't a recipe I'd like to live on for very long. He'll eventually get killed. Also, I do think that the over-reliance on defense to hold conservative leads is a dangerous policy. The Jets don't get enough pressure up front for that to succeed. I agree with posters who argue for a more "gloves off" offense that takes more risks and plays as if we had the WORST offense not the best. The only thing that allows the offense to open up on all cylinders right now is desperation...

All League
    [QUOTE=CHIROJET-WPB;3829229]Even though Edwards and Holmes have both had some moderately deep catches, other teams do not respect our deep threat. Defenses against us anticipate the run and the short passing game. I wish Sanchez could hit our deep receivers consistently. It seems he either over throws them or under throws them.[/QUOTE]

+1

Exactly. We need to go deep often in the beginning of the game. If we connect on just one of them it will open our running lanes and keep the secondary honest for the rest of the game...

It would also help if we went deep a few times while we are lined up in one of our running formations. Teams know when we are running just based on our formations/substitutions/motions so it would be good to change it up for once and catch the opposing team sleeping. All in all Schotty called a good game yesterday though and his offense saved our sorry-a$$ 4th quarter D.

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;3829365]I think you're on to something here. One thing that has to be emphasized is the less than stellar play of our offensive line, which is declining in pass protection and forcing a lot of pressures. No playcalling will survive that kind of disruption; it takes an offense out of its gameplan. Sanchez has survived by scrambling and extending the play, but that isn't a recipe I'd like to live on for very long. He'll eventually get killed. Also, I do think that the over-reliance on defense to hold conservative leads is a dangerous policy. The Jets don't get enough pressure up front for that to succeed. I agree with posters who argue for a more "gloves off" offense that takes more risks and plays as if we had the WORST offense not the best. The only thing that allows the offense to open up on all cylinders right now is desperation...[/QUOTE]

i believe the team's identity is shifting, with sanchez and the wrs becoming the feared unit and the defense rightfully being perceived as just above average, with quality run stuffers and cbs and no pass rushers. this has to be challenging ryan's fundamental football principles of run first, play hard defense and don't take many chances in the air. however, when you look around, the best teams are airing it out. last year, the vikings, saints and colts were all tops in the nfl in offense (granted, they play in domes) and increasingly the nfl is changing the rules to favor the passing game. if the jets are to beat NE in foxborough, they're probably going to have to outscore them, rather than grind it out vs. them. and with no pass rush, the jets are inevitably going to give up more points than they expect, which in turn puts more pressure on the offense to match. the running game is still important and will rebound as teams realize that sanchez can shred them in the air, but ultimately, settling for fgs against teams like pittsburgh and NE will lead to deficits when elite qbs like brady and big ben wing it downfield with no pass rush to worry about and take quick leads on the jets.
    Last edited by augustiniak; 11-22-2010 at 11:11 AM.