Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are Rex and Pettine spared on this board?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Why are Rex and Pettine spared on this board?

First off, I firmly believe that there's really no reason to bash the coaching staff of a team that is 8-2, regardless of how they get there. But there is at least one thread per page ripping Schotty on this board, and I'm wondering why there aren't any doing the same to Rex & Pettine?

This is a defense that has collapsed repeatedly in the fourth quarter, dating back to last season. Three times last year the defense surrendered a TD on the final drive of the game, and gave up an 11-point lead in the AFCCG. People want to see blowouts from this team this year, but:

The first Miami game is a blowout if the defense doesn't give up 350+ through the air.
    The Vikings game is a blowout if the defense doesn't allow Brett Favre's best half of football in 2010.
    The Texans game had blowout potential until the defense let Joel Dreesen work them for huge plays.

So why is it okay for Rex & the defense to allow these things to happen, but Schottenheimer catches hell whenever the team doesn't score 30 points (and apparently, also when they DO put up 30, because that's not enough :rolleyes:). It's the definition of scapegoating...I don't think Schotty is a great OC, and the red-zone struggles MUST be eradicated. But I do think he's good enough to win it all, and I have a question for those who think he specifically will be the reason this team doesn't go all the way:

If the Jets are up 30-24 in the 4th quarter of the SB with 2 minutes to go against Brees, Vick, or Manning, do you have any confidence that Rex's defense will come up with a stop? If you do, why? Because history shows us that this defense comes up short in those situations, whereas the offense has now produced three straight wins with their backs against the wall.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because Rex took over a team and had them in the championship game his first year.

Oh yeah, and he took over the team and instantly made the NUMBER 1 DEFENSE in his first year too.

He's earned the benefit of the doubt. Sorry that doesn't fit your SOJF mentality of wanting to ***** about the coach.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We keep talking about how we have no pass rush so why do you think everybody is soft on them?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the Jets are gonna blitz and they will live and die by the blitz. That can have ugly consequences when it fails but it's better than zoning up and playing prevent.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenWave;3829384]First off, I firmly believe that there's really no reason to bash the coaching staff of a team that is 8-2, regardless of how they get there. But there is at least one thread per page ripping Schotty on this board, and I'm wondering why there aren't any doing the same to Rex & Pettine?

This is a defense that has collapsed repeatedly in the fourth quarter, dating back to last season. Three times last year the defense surrendered a TD on the final drive of the game, and gave up an 11-point lead in the AFCCG. People want to see blowouts from this team this year, but:

The first Miami game is a blowout if the defense doesn't give up 350+ through the air.
    The Vikings game is a blowout if the defense doesn't allow Brett Favre's best half of football in 2010.
    The Texans game had blowout potential until the defense let Joel Dreesen work them for huge plays.

So why is it okay for Rex & the defense to allow these things to happen, but Schottenheimer catches hell whenever the team doesn't score 30 points (and apparently, also when they DO put up 30, because that's not enough :rolleyes:). It's the definition of scapegoating...I don't think Schotty is a great OC, and the red-zone struggles MUST be eradicated. But I do think he's good enough to win it all, and I have a question for those who think he specifically will be the reason this team doesn't go all the way:

If the Jets are up 30-24 in the 4th quarter of the SB with 2 minutes to go against Brees, Vick, or Manning, do you have any confidence that Rex's defense will come up with a stop? If you do, why? Because history shows us that this defense comes up short in those situations, whereas the offense has now produced three straight wins with their backs against the wall.[/QUOTE]

And Revis has helped with some of the collapse and the excuses are abundant for him..:yes: You can have the best D or O in the world but if the players don't execute it properly it will fail.. Sanchez missed 2 easy long td's yesterday but the majority probably think that was on Shotty..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenWave;3829384]First off, I firmly believe that there's really no reason to bash the coaching staff of a team that is 8-2, regardless of how they get there. But there is at least one thread per page ripping Schotty on this board, and I'm wondering why there aren't any doing the same to Rex & Pettine?

[B]If the Jets are up 30-24 in the 4th quarter of the SB with 2 minutes to go against Brees, Vick, or Manning, do you have any confidence that Rex's defense will come up with a stop?[/B] If you do, why? Because history shows us that this defense comes up short in those situations, whereas the offense has now produced three straight wins with their backs against the wall.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not, but Sanchez and the offense will get the ball back with :42 and score the game winning td on a 75 yard 3 play drive!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Why are Rex and Pettine spared on this board? [/QUOTE]

7th Ranked Defense in NFL. 5th Ranked in Points Allowed.

Top 10, despite having lost Jenkins (again), and despite having no pass rush talent of any kind, slow-poor-covering LB's, and a bagful of barely-talented nobodies at Safety.

Coaching is not our D's problem. A lack of talent at a few key spots is.

If Safety and Pass Rush are not draft priorities next draft, I'll eat my hat.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely. What the fuk arethey doing all of the sudden?

Stop blitzing Leonhard and Eric Smith...PLEASE!!!!
    They are not getting to the QB in time and one of them should have been on Dressen on that 43 yard Touchdown.
    Brodney pool is invisible.
    The scheme's to stop what had been killing us in the past weeks, still killed us yesterday. No pass rush......Ellis, Taylor, Gholston, .......none of them get to the QB....its quite sad.

No pass rush, no championship.
    There is no way around it.
    With Leonhard and Smith in coverage versus big TE's, we wont go far in teh playoffs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3829398]And Revis has helped with some of the collapse and the excuses are abundant for him..:yes: You can have the best D or O in the world but if the players don't execute it properly it will fail.. Sanchez missed 2 easy long td's yesterday but the majority probably think that was on Shotty..[/QUOTE]

Speaking of Revis, one of the things that has not been discussed was the fact that he was burnt for a HUGE play but the WR lost the ball in the sun and couldn't make the catch and it wasn't even Andre Johnson!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why are they spared?? How about cause they know what they're doing.. Are you kidding me?? Have you watched the Jets play in the last 16 months?? We've been in a position to win 90% of the games we've played.

We don't have a pass rush, and we don't have the talent to get one. I'd say we're managing pretty fricken' good considering the situation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frankiepapa;3829406]Speaking of Revis, one of the things that has not been discussed was the fact that he was burnt for a HUGE play but the WR lost the ball in the sun and couldn't make the catch and [B]it wasn't even Andre Johnson!![/B][/QUOTE]

Even worse he was a white player..:eek:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Defense has been absolutely dominant most of the time this season. A few breakdowns and stupid penalties are stopping them from playing complete games.

The defense will be fine.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frankiepapa;3829406]Speaking of Revis, one of the things that has not been discussed was the fact that he was burnt for a HUGE play but the WR lost the ball in the sun and couldn't make the catch and it wasn't even Andre Johnson!![/QUOTE]

Get away from the ledge. revis is going to miss some plays now and again!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, does it seem to anyone else that we "Rex Blitz" ALOT less this year than last? Seems we don't "bring the heat" with last years "everyone and the kitchen sink" type blitzing much at all this season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3829417]By the way, does it seem to anyone else that we "Rex Blitz" ALOT less this year than last? Seems we don't "bring the heat" with last years "everyone and the kitchen sink" type blitzing much at all this season.[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely the case. I think that was stopped because we kept giving up so many 3rd and longs and we had real coverage issues early on in the season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3829398]And Revis has helped with some of the collapse and the excuses are abundant for him..:yes: You can have the best D or O in the world but if the players don't execute it properly it will fail.. [B]Sanchez missed 2 easy long td's yesterday but the majority probably think that was on Sho[/B]tty..[/QUOTE]

A guy behind me did exactly that...He blamed Schotty when Sanchez overthrew Edwards who was wide open for a TD....

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3829401]7th Ranked Defense in NFL. 5th Ranked in Points Allowed.

Top 10, despite having lost Jenkins (again), and despite having no pass rush talent of any kind, slow-poor-covering LB's, and a bagful of barely-talented nobodies at Safety.

Coaching is not our D's problem. A lack of talent at a few key spots is.

If Safety and Pass Rush are not draft priorities next draft, I'll eat my hat.[/QUOTE]

+1

I really believe if you give our defense to any other coach in the league we are near the bottom of the league. We have some good players but not enough to be a top 10 defense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3829417]By the way, does it seem to anyone else that we "Rex Blitz" ALOT less this year than last? Seems we don't "bring the heat" with last years "everyone and the kitchen sink" type blitzing much at all this season.[/QUOTE]

Hate to say it, but difference is we had Rhodes for coverage insurance when we sent in the troops last year

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

You know I wonder if Pace is really 100%. He doesn't seem like the same player since he came back from the injury.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3829424]A guy behind me did exactly that...He blamed Schotty when Sanchez overthrew Edwards who was wide open for a TD....[/QUOTE]

Well maybe shotty should make sanchez throw it better