Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seminole Offense is predictable

Seminole Offense is predictable

Why is it that every time Brad Smith lines up for the Seminole offense, I KNOW that it's gonna be a running play? He was the starting quarterback for Missouri and passed for 2,000 yards, but in our scheme, he's only running and pitching out! Confounding, yet completely indicative of what's wrong with our offense. IMO. :steamin:

Don't like it but 8 first downs 6.7YPC and 33% of the time for 1st downs doesn't suck. He also threw for a TD this year.

[QUOTE=FloridaJetsFan;3829571]Why is it that every time Brad Smith lines up for the Seminole offense, I KNOW that it's gonna be a running play? He was the starting quarterback for Missouri and passed for 2,000 yards, but in our scheme, he's only running and pitching out! Confounding, yet completely indicative of what's wrong with our offense. IMO. :steamin:[/QUOTE]

I actually think they do this on purpose, to build it so the defense sells out for the run. They keep doing this all year so teams know this is the tendancy and that smith won't throw. Then when its a really important game, he does - like last year in the AFCC game.

It drives me nuts too, but if it wins us a championship I'm good with that.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;3829578]Don't like it but 8 first downs 6.7YPC and 33% of the time for 1st downs doesn't suck. He also threw for a TD this year.[/QUOTE]

he did? I don't remember. When was that?

First of all, Smith can't throw. So let's remember that. I mean he physically can, but so can I. That doesn't mean either person can do it well.

Secondly, it's been extremely successful as it is going, AND the opposing teams MUST still honor the throw a little bit. No matter what, you are never going to get 2 safeties up top any time Brad Smith is dropping back, but as long as you get 1, you are gold.

[QUOTE=jetsfan_toronto_canada;3829584]he did? I don't remember. When was that?[/QUOTE]

Bills 3 yard TD.

All League
    Except that he can throw. They're rarely going to however because Rex and Schotty see the wildcat package as a means to gain a numbers advantage while running the ball. And they're right because Smith is rushing to a tune of 7 yards per carry.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;3829590]Bills 3 yard TD.[/QUOTE]

oh yeah! that was awesome.

So much for using it in really important games. lol.

All League
    They're waiting for the New England game to unleash Brad Smith and let him throw.

All League
    It'll be there when we need it. They WANT it to be "predictable".

They're saving it for the AFCC Game.

Well, they did throw a 50-yard pass versus Indy in the AFC title game out of it last year.

Bottom line: It's an effective way of running the ball, and teams assuming we're always going to run will be wrong at some point.

My only gripe about it is that Schotty always seems to go to it right after Sanchez gets in a groove, taking a streaky player off the field as he's warming up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=ozu;3829593]Except that he can throw. They're rarely going to however because [B]Rex and Schotty see the wildcat package as a means to gain a numbers advantage while running the ball. [/B]And they're right because Smith is rushing to a tune of 7 yards per carry.[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it. You've got your 5 lineman, a TE, at least one runningback (sometimes two) and that gives you more blockers than they have defenders.

It doesn't matter if you are running or throwing from the wildcat, the idea is the QB is not accounted for as a runner and that's why it works most of the time. They can't sell out to the run for the very fact that Smith has thrown from the formation. I have no issue with how this is being called.

Hall Of Fame
    The Seminole has been very effective this year. That kind of predictability I can live with.

Like some others I think we are waiting for bigger games to unleash Smith the gunslinger.

if it wasn't for Braylon's block in the back penalties, the seminole would be unstoppable.

I hope that's true. I just get so frustrated knowing that if I know what's coming, so does the defense. Guess that's why they didn't offer me the Vikings job .... Go Schotty!!!

[QUOTE=bitonti;3829660]if it wasn't for Braylon's block in the back penalties, the seminole would be unstoppable.[/QUOTE]

if it wasn't for Braylon's downfield blocking, a lot of those big plays wouldn't have happened.

All League
    [QUOTE=FloridaJetsFan;3829663]I hope that's true. I just get so frustrated knowing that if I know what's coming, so does the defense. Guess that's why they didn't offer me the Vikings job .... Go Schotty!!![/QUOTE]The whole idea is that because of the numbers advantage in blocking, Rex and Schotty don't care if the other team knows it's a run. They're going to pound it down their throat because they have the utmost confidence in their run blocking winning the battle.

Having watched him extensively at Mizzou, I'd love to see Brad get to throw it from time to time as well though.

[QUOTE=FloridaJetsFan;3829571]Why is it that every time Brad Smith lines up for the Seminole offense, I KNOW that it's gonna be a running play? He was the starting quarterback for Missouri and passed for 2,000 yards, but in our scheme, he's only running and pitching out! Confounding, yet completely indicative of what's wrong with our offense. IMO. :steamin:[/QUOTE]

They are setting something up. Here's a hint -

Year end stats:

Passing: Brad Smith, 1-1, 50 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, QB Rating 158

Receiving: Mark Sanchez, 1 reception, 50 yards, 1 TD, YPC 50