Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: The defense is better than last year

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

The defense is better than last year

Statistically, we are ranked higher than last year at this point in the season.

The "pass rush" was basically the same last year, Jets have more sacks than last year.

We have played significantly tougher competition this year.

While the team gave up late drives to the Browns and the Texans, it came up big against the dolphins, pats, broncos, vikings, and lions late in games. Last year, the defense was SIGNIFICANTLY worse in game winning situations.

The entire team is playing inconsistently. THe defense was BRILLIANT for 3 1/2 quarters last week, they just need to put complete games together.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    rex pointed this out today on open mic...it definitely is reason to be optimistic that they can start really steam rolling as the end of the season and playoff time comes around but the truth is last year you expected some growing pains with a new system and now with a year under most players belts you would have expected they be a bit more dominant this season...we are 8-2 and haven't played our best football so I have no complaints at all

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stats schmats, I'll take the best record in the league (tied) over the best stats in the league. Thank you.

For the first 8 weeks the Chargers or their fans could care less how high they ranked on the stats when they sucked at getting the W.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the goal was to lead the league in ****in' wins? I didn't see anything about leading the league in sacks or total defense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;3830408]I thought the goal was to lead the league in ****in' wins? I didn't see anything about leading the league in sacks or total defense.[/QUOTE]

C'mon now. The OP is just responding to all the posts about how bad our defense is this year compared to last. I agree, and I'm sure OP agrees, that wins are the bottom line. The question is are we heading in the right direction defensively. I would add that the same argument is being made about the offense. If we had a 60/40 balance to the run game this year, we would be 5-5. We have much better balance as an offense and are in a learning curve with a range of new talent and options. The fact that we're 8-2 while doing so is pretty damn good. The red zone will come, just as the penalties have started to improve (with the exception of the idiotic Rob Turner). I think everyone agrees that the Jets have a higher ceiling than their performances thusfar. That's everything. We're NOT overachievers.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    As hard as it is to watch the defense crumble like it did late Sunday, the Jets held the Texans to 7 points through 3 quarters and forced a lot of three and out throughout the game. I think Houston was 4-12 on thrird down as well. I would rather a blown coverage be the reason a team scores as opposed to just being a bad defense which we are far from. We are still stout against the run and are getting better against the pass. It's just the timing where we give up plays that creates the issues. This team will tighten things up, there are too many experienced defensive players as well as a great deal of coaching knowledge on the sidelines!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It sure doesn't feel like our defense is better than last year!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the one area that is most concerning is our record on 3rd downs - I think on Sunday they showed a graphic that said we rank LAST IN THE LEAGUE on 3rd downs defensively. Whether that's due to pass rush or coverage or whatever, if we could improve on that even a little bit, it'd make a huge difference - controls time of possession, gives our O a shorter field to work with, all that good stuff.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frankiepapa;3830513]As hard as it is to watch the defense crumble like it did late Sunday, the Jets held the Texans to 7 points through 3 quarters and forced a lot of three and out throughout the game. I think Houston was 4-12 on thrird down as well. I would rather a blown coverage be the reason a team scores as opposed to just being a bad defense which we are far from. We are still stout against the run and are getting better against the pass. It's just the timing where we give up plays that creates the issues. This team will tighten things up, there are too many experienced defensive players as well as a great deal of coaching knowledge on the sidelines!![/QUOTE]

Reality is the game is 4 quarters. Matt Shaub looked like a deer in the headlights through much of the first half. I think he had a left over tick from last years game. When he finally figured out that there was no pressure and settled his feet down the D was picked apart.

The Jets D is slowly sliding down the team stat line every week while the O is slowly moving up the stat line every week.

Don't forget even though our O doesn't score a ton it does own TOP and that means our D is defending less plays than most teams every week.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    The D has had some bad series where they have allowed points and the O has bailed them out, however, a D can only hold so long O has to put up points while the D is holding the opponent to 16 an under for most of the game. Nobody said this D is like the Bears,Ravens, or Giants great D's so it takes all 3 phases to win.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No way in hell they're better this year. The team is better because the passing game is better.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chupa;3830297]Statistically, we are ranked higher than last year at this point in the season.

The "pass rush" was basically the same last year, Jets have more sacks than last year.

We have played significantly tougher competition this year.

While the team gave up late drives to the Browns and the Texans, it came up big against the dolphins, pats, broncos, vikings, and lions late in games. Last year, the defense was SIGNIFICANTLY worse in game winning situations.

The entire team is playing inconsistently. THe defense was BRILLIANT for 3 1/2 quarters last week, they just need to put complete games together.[/QUOTE]

This year we have played teams to date with a combined 44 & 56 record. 3 Teams with winning records, 1 team at 500 and 6 teams with lossing records.

Through 10 games last year we played 4 teams with winning records, 1 team with a 500 record and 5 teams with lossing records. Their combined records for the year was 82 and 78.

We played tougher competition last year.

Last year the pass D ranked first in Yards let up, first in TD's let up and 13th in INT's

This year we rank 16th in passing yards let up, 11th in passing TD's let up and 30th in INT's.

The pass D is significantly worse this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex needs to fire his math geek and get himself a new one. Claiming this defense is ahead of last year's just sounds stupid. Now if he said "our defense in the first three quarters is ahead of where it was last year" I would consider agreeing. How's that gonna feel in the 4th quarter against the Patriots when we're up by 6 with 2 minutes left?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JamesR;3830532]I think the one area that is most concerning is our record on 3rd downs - I think on Sunday they showed a graphic that said we rank LAST IN THE LEAGUE on 3rd downs defensively. Whether that's due to pass rush or coverage or whatever, if we could improve on that even a little bit, it'd make a huge difference - controls time of possession, gives our O a shorter field to work with, all that good stuff.[/QUOTE]

The 3rd down % hasn't been an issue since the Minnesota game. The D has been great on 3rd down the past 5-6 weeks.