Thread: Football 101 Question: The Post Turnover Bomb

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Football 101 Question: The Post Turnover Bomb

Why is it that after a turnover, it seems like a nice long pass is a high percentage play? We have certainly capitalized on this tactic earlier in the season and then we saw it done on us this past sunday after the greene fumble. Perhaps it is just my perception that there often times seems to be a big play after turnovers?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=majormajor42;3830610]Why is it that after a turnover, it seems like a nice long pass is a high percentage play? We have certainly capitalized on this tactic earlier in the season and then we saw it done on us this past sunday after the greene fumble. Perhaps it is just my perception that there often times seems to be a big play after turnovers?[/QUOTE]

One possible factor is that the defense hasn't been preparing to enter the game as it would during a punt/FG/redzone play. Not sure how much, if any, that factors in, but I could see that giving the offense an slight edge to catch the defense out of position.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its called sudden change and is one of the most difficult things for defenses to adjust to. Immediately after a turnover, especially if you are on your own side of the field, the opposing offense is going to look to take advantage of the momentum swing and therefore the tendency is to be aggressive in their play-calling.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, it just happened to be the worst defensive call for that particular play. Sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some.

Jason Taylor was supposed to drop back and cover that TE, since the two safeties went in on a blitz. Blitz didn't get there, JT was out of position, and Cro was stuck covering two guys.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycdan;3830644]One possible factor is that the defense hasn't been preparing to enter the game as it would during a punt/FG/redzone play. Not sure how much, if any, that factors in, but I could see that giving the offense an slight edge to catch the defense out of position.[/QUOTE]

I've always thought this was it. The defense is on the sidelines, going over what happened on the last drive. Some of the guys are settling in to get a breather. Everyone is off with their position coach. BOOM. Turnover. Stop what you're doing. Players, drop your gatorade and put your helmets back on. Coaches, what's the personnel package? What's the playcall?

You're never really mentally prepared for a turnover, even though you know that they're coming. It's always a surprise, and you've got to quickly reorientate yourself.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Johnny Rico;3830788]Also, it just happened to be the worst defensive call for that particular play. Sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some.

Jason Taylor was supposed to drop back and cover that TE, since the two safeties went in on a blitz. Blitz didn't get there, JT was out of position, and Cro was stuck covering two guys.[/QUOTE]

If only Cro could clone himself like Naruto or something at that point. :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Momentum.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vin;3830884]If only Cro could clone himself like Naruto or something at that point. :D[/QUOTE]

He certainly has been trying to replicate the old-fashioned way as much as possible :)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycdan;3830935]He certainly has been trying to replicate the old-fashioned way as much as possible :)[/QUOTE]

OH SNAP.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycdan;3830935]He certainly has been trying to replicate the old-fashioned way as much as possible :)[/QUOTE]

:rimshot:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;3831200]:rimshot:[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I'll be here all week.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycdan;3831204]Thank you. I'll be here all week.[/QUOTE]

Will you be at the Jets Game this thursday, though? ;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vin;3831220]Will you be at the Jets Game this thursday, though? ;)[/QUOTE]

My in-laws and my mother are coming over. I would give your left kidney to be at the stadium this Thursday. But alas, no...I will be home trying to kick everyone out before the game starts. And I don't even have a dirty sister-in-law who drinks too much for entertainment...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=majormajor42;3830610]Why is it that after a turnover, it seems like a nice long pass is a high percentage play? We have certainly capitalized on this tactic earlier in the season and then we saw it done on us this past sunday after the greene fumble. Perhaps it is just my perception that there often times seems to be a big play after turnovers?[/QUOTE]

After the Greene fumble....we blew the assignment on Dreessen.
    It wasnt really a BOMB per say...more like a deep out that no one defended.

After the FOSTER fumble caused by DeVito....I would have loved to have seen a pass or two into the end zone. But the penalty killed us and set us back and we kicked the FG instead.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycdan;3831222]My in-laws and my mother are coming over. I would give your left kidney to be at the stadium this Thursday. But alas, no...I will be home trying to kick everyone out before the game starts. And I don't even have a dirty sister-in-law who drinks too much for entertainment...[/QUOTE]

Define "Dirty"..... [img]http://hfboards.com/images/smilies/naughty.gif[/img]