Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's holding this team back?

All Pro

What's holding this team back?

I'm going to suggest we look at penalties.

Why is it we chew up yards but don't score?

[url]http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/penalty-yards-per-game[/url]

We rank 6th in the league in penalties and 5th in penalty yards per game. We give up 2.6 first yards per game on penalties (3rd worst in league).

This year we are averaging 7.6 penalties per game vs. 5.7 last season for nearly a 25 yard per game difference.

2 more penalties and 25 more yards per game in penalties...

Maybe this is worth addressing?

What an original thought. I am sure the coaching staff is completely unaware of the fact that they are committing too many penalties.

All League
    [QUOTE=nycdan;3830676]I'm going to suggest we look at penalties.

[URL]http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/penalty-yards-per-game[/URL]

We rank 6th in the league in penalties and 5th in penalty yards per game. We give up 2.6 first yards per game on penalties (3rd worst in league).

This year we are averaging 7.6 penalties per game vs. 5.7 last season for nearly a 25 yard per game difference.

Maybe this is worth addressing?[/QUOTE]

It sure is. The coaching staff HAS been addressing this, but with limited success.

Since most of the blame here will go to Schotty anyway, I'll address on gripe with him...if there's ever a play called that has more than one person in motion and results in a false start, that play should be immediately tossed from the playbook to never be seen again.

However, the Jets were one of the least-penalized teams in the league under both Herm and Mangini (where Schotty was OC). So what is Rex going to do about the amount of penalties?

maybe they need to do more push ups. imo schitty is a big part of the problem. drawing up complex plays and then expecting them to be executed as drawn play in and play out is too much. they need to keep it simple.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

[SIZE="5"]Why is it we chew up yards but don't score?[/SIZE]

They can't score every drive, but they have to score 6 not 3, 3 won't do it against the better teams. We also have a new weak link in the O-line, it takes time.

[QUOTE=Apache 51;3830747]They can't score every drive, but they have to score 6 not 3, 3 won't do it against the better teams. We also have a new weak link in the O-line, it takes time.[/QUOTE]

this goes a long way towards explaining why the jets can't put teams away. the jets were up 23-7, with 3 fgs. if 1 of those fgs were a td, the texans don't take the lead. the jets are too often willing to settle for fgs when they're ahead which makes it easier for teams to catch up.

I don't know, but we can rule out the whole points things for sure.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=NYJets4life;3830751]I don't know, but we can rule out the whole points things for sure.[/QUOTE]

And 4th quarter QB play. That is definitely NOT holding us back ;)

What's holding us back? Plain and simple it's our DEFENSE!:steamin: Last year this defense was pure hell on opposing QB's.This year teams have adapted and are picking up our blitzes. Also "Mevis Island has sunk. Revis's game isn't the same as last year whether it's injury or lack of motivation he's not the shut down corner that he was last year. Until our defense gets to the opposing QB getting to the SB will be a long shot at best.

I heard an interesting quote this morning from Braylon Edwards and why he thinks Sanchez plays well in the 2 minute drill. According to Braylon, the plays are simpler, he does not need to worry about killing plays, does not need to worry about checking plays all he has to do is read the defense and deliver the ball to the open receiver. I dont want to derail the point of this thread and turn it into a Shotty debate but there is some truth to this. We have heard the same criticism from multiple players over multiple years. I think this directly corresponds to the Jets struggles in the red zone. Instead of dialing up 1 play (Holmes back of the end zone fade route) Shotty tries to get to cute. My case in point would be the goaline play against Cleveland where they have Keller roll on the ground like he is making a block on a second and goal roll out. Just my humble opinion.

[QUOTE=LI JET FAN;3830770]What's holding us back? Plain and simple it's our DEFENSE!:steamin: Last year this defense was pure hell on opposing QB's.This year teams have adapted and are picking up our blitzes. Also "Mevis Island has sunk. Revis's game isn't the same as last year whether it's injury or lack of motivation he's not the shut down corner that he was last year. Until our defense gets to the opposing QB getting to the SB will be a long shot at best.[/QUOTE]

Disagree with your statement about Revis. Andre Johnson is a top-3 receiver in the game and he had fewer yards in this matchup than he did last year. How is Revis underperforming?

Do agree with the rest - the defense is where all of the concern should be, as that is the unit that will prevent this team from closing out ball games. If the opposing team's offense has a chance to score on its final drive to win the game, I have no confidence that this defense can come up with a stop.

[QUOTE=kennedy fried Toon;3830780]I heard an interesting quote this morning from Braylon Edwards and why he thinks Sanchez plays well in the 2 minute drill. According to Braylon, the plays are simpler, he does not need to worry about killing plays, does not need to worry about checking plays all he has to do is read the defense and deliver the ball to the open receiver. I dont want to derail the point of this thread and turn it into a Shotty debate but there is some truth to this. We have heard the same criticism from multiple players over multiple years. I think this directly corresponds to the Jets struggles in the red zone. Instead of dialing up 1 play (Holmes back of the end zone fade route) Shotty tries to get to cute. My case in point would be the goaline play against Cleveland where they have Keller roll on the ground like he is making a block on a second and goal roll out. Just my humble opinion.[/QUOTE]

Even as someone who supports Schotty, this is a point that cannot be ignored. I don't want to put too much stock into it just yet, but if the RZ offense doesn't improve then there's no way to ignore Braylon's input.

Hall Of Fame
    The main problem?

It's on either Greene, LT, or the OL putting Sanchez in constant 2nd and 8 situations. We'd be killing teams if there were more 2nd and 4 situations so the defense wouldn't know the next play is going to be a pass. This is the reason we aren't killing teams and settling for field goals.

The pass rush and penalties would be next.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=LI JET FAN;3830770]What's holding us back? Plain and simple it's our DEFENSE!:steamin: Last year this defense was pure hell on opposing QB's.This year teams have adapted and are picking up our blitzes. Also "Mevis Island has sunk. Revis's game isn't the same as last year whether it's injury or lack of motivation he's not the shut down corner that he was last year. Until our defense gets to the opposing QB getting to the SB will be a long shot at best.[/QUOTE]

our pass rush is getting worse every week, i don't know what's going on.
    I keep waiting for them to turn it around, but I don't think it's the play calling,
    I think we just lack the ability. This defense needs constant pressure from both olb's and it just isn't there.

Yes, Revis's game isn't the same as last year 'cause he's given up a bunch of big plays and TDs, right? [b]GIVE ME A BREAK, MAN!![/b] :steamin:

Have you ever considered that the Reason it's not the same is because the opposing QBs aren't stupid enough to throw his or Cromartie's way...[b]AND ARE INSTEAD THROWING TO THE TE's WHERE WE SUCK AT DEFENDING?[/b]

Think about it for a sec... Pool, Smith, Leonard...Those 3 have to defend the TE and/or #3 Receiver. Both of which have absolutely TORCHED these guys.

The Problem, as you see, ISN'T Revis. And can you and everyone else please STFU about this "Mevis" garbage? That was over once Revis's holdout ended.... Let it go, man. Let it go.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The fear of having to wear green pants again.

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3830839]The main problem?

It's on either Greene, LT, or the OL putting Sanchez in constant 2nd and 8 situations. We'd be killing teams if there were more 2nd and 4 situations so the defense wouldn't know the next play is going to be a pass. This is the reason we aren't killing teams and settling for field goals.

The pass rush and penalties would be next.[/QUOTE]

i'll word this a bit differently.

i'd say it's a head coaching philosophy that emphasizes 'ground and pound' rather than 'let's just go out and try to score'. rex wants to control the game rather than rack up points, which generally lets the other team keep the score close b/c if they play the run on 1st down, they know the jets are a fairly predicatable offense until they're losing. many of these games follow the same pattern. the jets force runs in the first half, teams are able to stop it and force obvious passing downs, the score is inevitably close at the end of the first half. then the other team gets a bit of momentum, scores some points, which forces schotty to open up the offense, which is when sanchez is at his best. then sanchez and the offense is forced to bail out the team, which many claim is luck.

i think as the weeks go by, it's becoming more obvious that the hc coaching philosophy is the main reason all these games are close.

how about inability to presure the QB and cover tight ends.

IM curious werent we good in penalty ydg last year? if so it cant be the coaching..maybe this is 1 downfall to the new type of guys we bought in this year..though i wouldnt do anything different..they have been great..just saying? maybe discipline is not there strong suit??

Veteran
    Penalties, more importantly when they occur. Also red zone efficiency on both offense and defense.