Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about being forced out of bounds

Question about being forced out of bounds

Just a quick question about NFL rules regarding going out of bounds. At the end of the game, Sanchez throws a beautiful ball on a rope to Braylon. He catches it, gets shoved by the safety, and he takes a few steps and goes out of bounds. Now sometimes, if a player is getting tackled before he gets out of bounds, but the play ends up out of bounds, the clock doesn't stop because he was "tackled" in bounds. I always thought it came down to if the player went out of bounds on his own volition. If he did, clock stops. If the defender forces his momentum out of bounds, clock doesn't stop.

So my question is, did Braylon just run out of bounds then? This makes sense, he made a nice grab on the sidelines and his first instinct was to get a few feet in and stop the clock. However, why wouldn't he just try to score then? Was it possibly because he was off-balance and his momentum had been altered enough by the safety to force him out?

I mean, I'm not complaining. We won the game and I couldn't be happier. I was just confused about this rule and wanted some clarification. Thanks in advance.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

He caught a pretty good shove, and his momentum probably would've carried him that way anyway. That said, the new rule is that if the ref judges that the player would've come down with both feet, one is acceptible.

[QUOTE=Johnny Rico;3830806]Just a quick question about NFL rules regarding going out of bounds. At the end of the game, Sanchez throws a beautiful ball on a rope to Braylon. He catches it, gets shoved by the safety, and he takes a few steps and goes out of bounds. Now sometimes, if a player is getting tackled before he gets out of bounds, but the play ends up out of bounds, the clock doesn't stop because he was "tackled" in bounds. I always thought it came down to if the player went out of bounds on his own volition. If he did, clock stops. If the defender forces his momentum out of bounds, clock doesn't stop.

So my question is, did Braylon just run out of bounds then? This makes sense, he made a nice grab on the sidelines and his first instinct was to get a few feet in and stop the clock. However, why wouldn't he just try to score then? Was it possibly because he was off-balance and his momentum had been altered enough by the safety to force him out?

I mean, I'm not complaining. We won the game and I couldn't be happier. I was just confused about this rule and wanted some clarification. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Your understanding of the rules is wrong. If a player goes out of bounds, the clock stops whether he was forced out or not.

Edwards was knocked out of bounds.

[QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;3830808]He caught a pretty good shove, and his momentum probably would've carried him that way anyway. That said, the new rule is that if the ref judges that the player would've come down with both feet, one is acceptible.[/QUOTE]

That's not the rule. What are you talking about?

The rule used to be a force out was judged if the player "would have gotten both feet in"... that recently changed (thank god) to the player has to get both feet in no matter what. As far as the clock stopping... you are thinking of plays where a receiver gets knocked backwards out of bounds... so although he goes out of bounds they rule "loss of forward motion" and thus the player was inbounds when the play ended. If the player is going forward and lands/steps out of bounds the clock will always stop.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;3830813]That's not the rule. What are you talking about?[/QUOTE]Guess it was changed according to the poster above. Seems odd that the rule would be changed so soon.

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;3830812]Your understanding of the rules is wrong. If a player goes out of bounds, the clock stops whether he was forced out or not.

Edwards was knocked out of bounds.[/QUOTE]

Alright, thanks. I am just mistaken then.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3830812]Your understanding of the rules is wrong. If a player goes out of bounds, the clock stops whether he was forced out or not.

Edwards was knocked out of bounds.[/QUOTE]

Unless he is judged to have been wrapped up and his progress stopped in bounds, and then he goes out of bounds.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;3830819]Guess it was changed according to the poster above. Seems odd that the rule would be changed so soon.[/QUOTE]

No it's not. The NFL got rid of the "force out rule" to get rid of subjective ref analysis. You need two feet.

EDIT: You changed it before I responded.

[QUOTE=Johnny Rico;3830820]Alright, thanks. I am just mistaken then.[/QUOTE]

See my post above.

[QUOTE=njherdfan;3830824]Unless he is judged to have been wrapped up and his progress stopped in bounds, and then he goes out of bounds.[/QUOTE]

Correct.

All Pro
    In regard to the clock stopping or not, it all comes down to forward progress. If the player's forward progress keeps him in bounds, then the clock keeps rolling.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Austin;3830826]No it's not. The NFL got rid of the "force out rule" to get rid of subjective ref analysis. You need two feet.

EDIT: You changed it before I responded.[/QUOTE]It was the right thing to do, just a bit suprised they did. How long did the "one-foot" rule last?

Actually, after a bit of searching on the interwebz, it seems that the clock doesn't stop if the forward momentum is halted in bounds. But that didn't happen.

Edit: Probably didn't need to do any searching, came back and this was already posted. Thanks for all the help!

[QUOTE=Johnny Rico;3830837]Actually, after a bit of searching on the interwebz, it seems that the clock doesn't stop if the forward momentum is halted in bounds. But that didn't happen.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. He'd have to go backwards basically for that to happen.

[QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;3830808]He caught a pretty good shove, and his momentum probably would've carried him that way anyway. That said, the new rule is that if the ref judges that the player would've come down with both feet, one is acceptible.[/QUOTE]

I think you are talking about the old "force out rule" which no longer exists when ruling if a player got 2 feet in. If a player jumps in the air to cathc a ball, and is pushed out of bounds, the pass is incomplete, regardless of whether he would have gotten 2 feet in without the push.

[QUOTE=Johnny Rico;3830806]Just a quick question about NFL rules regarding going out of bounds. At the end of the game, Sanchez throws a beautiful ball on a rope to Braylon. He catches it, gets shoved by the safety, and he takes a few steps and goes out of bounds. Now sometimes, if a player is getting tackled before he gets out of bounds, but the play ends up out of bounds, the clock doesn't stop because he was "tackled" in bounds. I always thought it came down to if the player went out of bounds on his own volition. If he did, clock stops. If the defender forces his momentum out of bounds, clock doesn't stop.

I mean, I'm not complaining. We won the game and I couldn't be happier. I was just confused about this rule and wanted some clarification. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Not positive, but I think as long as the player is running somewhat forward in an attempt to advance the ball, the clock will stop. I believe that if the player is running backwards (and sometimes sideways) to get out of bounds, and not attempting to gain yardage, the ref can call for the clock to continue running on the play.

Braylon was definitely moving forward when he stepped out of bounds and was clearly forced out, so there was no way for the refs to keep the clock running.
    Last edited by Gastineau99; 11-23-2010 at 11:36 AM.

I think the 2nd poster didn't read the original post...two completely different rules and situations.

[QUOTE=ironman61;3830871]I think the 2nd poster didn't read the original post...two completely different rules and situations.[/QUOTE]

Yup.

That's not the rule...

It depends...if he's tackled in bounds but the ball is out of bounds the clock stops...

If his body is out of bounds it is considered part of the ball so the clock stops...