Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Desirable Coach to Play For (no surprise really)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Most Desirable Coach to Play For (no surprise really)

[SIZE="5"]Rex gets love from opponents
    [/SIZE]

In the current issue of Sports Illustrated, there's a survery of NFL players, based on the following question: For which other coach would you like to play for?

The winner, in a landslide, is Rex Ryan of the New York Jets. A total of 279 players were polled from across the league, and Ryan received nearly one quarter of the votes. Here's the breakdown:

Ryan, 21%
    Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh Steelers), 12%
    Sean Payton (New Orleans Saints), 9%
    Jeff Fisher (Tennessee Titans), 8%
    Bill Belichick (New England Patriots), 7%

Let's call it the Rex Effect. He turns off a lot of opponents because of his extreme confidence and big-talking style, but he also commands respect because of ... well, his extreme confidence and big-talking style. Players like him because he's fearless and speaks their language. He also doesn't run a boot camp; he tries to pace players through a season by allowing their bodies to rest. Not all coaches are like that. (See Belichick).

Evidently, HBO's "Hard Knocks" had the desired effect, with Ryan's popularity soaring. If nothing else, that should help the Jets' recruiting in free agency.

By Rich Cimini[SIZE="5"][/SIZE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remember in the offseason after the 2007 season where we had to wildly overpay the likes of Faneca and Pace to get them to come here because nobody wanted to be here?

Not a problem any more.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;3830834]Remember in the offseason after the 2007 season where we had to wildly overpay the likes of Faneca and Pace to get them to come here because nobody wanted to be here?

Not a problem any more.[/QUOTE]

Remember how Faneca was let go? I forget...Was HE the reason or was it just a Monetary thing?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gangrene;3830818][SIZE="5"]Rex gets love from opponents
    [/SIZE]

In the current issue of Sports Illustrated, there's a survery of NFL players, based on the following question: For which other coach would you like to play for?

The winner, in a landslide, is Rex Ryan of the New York Jets. A total of 279 players were polled from across the league, and Ryan received nearly one quarter of the votes. Here's the breakdown:

Ryan, 21%

Let's call it the Rex Effect. He turns off a lot of opponents because of his extreme confidence and big-talking style, but he also commands respect because of ... well, his extreme confidence and big-talking style. Players like him because he's fearless and speaks their language. He also doesn't run a boot camp; he tries to pace players through a season by allowing their bodies to rest. Not all coaches are like that. (See Belichick).

Evidently, HBO's "Hard Knocks" had the desired effect, with Ryan's popularity soaring. If nothing else, that should help the Jets' recruiting in free agency.

By Rich Cimini[SIZE="5"][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

A [B]POSITIVE [/B]article by Cimini! See Rich, I knew you could do it!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [/SIZE]

Ryan, 21%

Yeah but Mike Francesa doesn't like him so who cares.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [/SIZE]

Ryan, 21%

Just curious what the comment about Belichick running a "boot camp" is based upon. Seemingly absolutely nothing as he is one of the most experienced coaches in the league at pacing players (especially older veteran players) for the grind of an 18-19 game season. Coaches like Sean Payton are on the record as stating they bring in Patriots players not just for their playing abilities but for guidance on how Belichick handled players and various "scheduling" matters.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;3830834]Remember in the offseason after the 2007 season where we had to wildly overpay the likes of Faneca and Pace to get them to come here because nobody wanted to be here?

Not a problem any more.[/QUOTE]

Keep telling yourself that...We barely outpaid the Dolphins for Pace...I'm not even sure we did...and...well I don't remember the Faneca situation too much, but Hutchinson had already raised the price of LGs anyway...These guys want to get paid no matter how much they like the coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Well that settles it, Rex is 3x the coach the Belicheck is. And he'll soon be 3-1 against him head-to-head as well. Simple math.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3830996]Well that settles it, Rex is 3x the coach the Belicheck is. And he'll soon be 3-1 against him head-to-head as well. Simple math.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me, as a CPA it adds up:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3831005]Sounds good to me, as a CPA it adds up:yes:[/QUOTE]

CPA?? A Chad Pennington Attacker... Oh Noes...:eek:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we win the SB that would clinch it, pick of the litter, Players saying Rex and SB chance?! sign me up, vet min. just get me a ring.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CraigFL;3831031]If we win the SB that would clinch it, pick of the litter, Players saying Rex and SB chance?! sign me up, vet min. just get me a ring.[/QUOTE]

Lucky for us we would still have the JI faithful to keep Rex grounded and pounded when he goes wrong..:yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3830996]Well that settles it, Rex is 3x the coach the Belicheck is. And he'll soon be 3-1 against him head-to-head as well. Simple math.[/QUOTE]

And that's after lap-band surgery! :eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycdan;3831038]And that's after lap-band surgery! :eek:[/QUOTE]

Prior to the surgery a small band could have played in his lap..:P

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Much ado about Nothing;3830953]Keep telling yourself that...We barely outpaid the Dolphins for Pace...I'm not even sure we did...and...well I don't remember the Faneca situation too much, but Hutchinson had already raised the price of LGs anyway...These guys want to get paid no matter how much they like the coach.[/QUOTE]

+1 and don't forget tax structures. Teams in states like Florida with no personal income tax can underbid and still hit bottom line figures of those teams in states that do have personal income tax. This issue also inpacks although in a small way teams cap totals. Say in a small way but when you look at a 54 man roster and add up what teams over pay to be competive in total compensation it is significant.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3831041]Prior to the surgery a small band could have played in his lap..:P[/QUOTE]

I'd like this band to play in my lap: [IMG]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/nycdan/1189534885184hj4am9.gif[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycdan;3831057]I'd like this band to play in my lap: [IMG]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/nycdan/1189534885184hj4am9.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

anyone else licking their screen??

:drool:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hope Tamba Hali or Ngata wants to play for Rex next year. Should be our top FA targets for 2011.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycdan;3831057]I'd like this band to play in my lap: [IMG]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/nycdan/1189534885184hj4am9.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Where the hell do you get these Pics from? Hustler.com?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    maybe if peyton continued to give his players oxycontin he'd be ranked higher?