Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trent Dilfer's Man Love for Sanchez Reaches New Levels (merged)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Trent Dilfer's Man Love for Sanchez Reaches New Levels (merged)

Dilfer's been on Sportscenter all morning saying that Mark Sanchez is the 4th best QB in the AFC.

They had him rank the 5 best QBs in the AFC this year and he had them in this order:

1. Philip Rivers
    2. Tom Brady
    3. Peyton Manning
    4. Mark Sanchez
    5. Ben Roethlisberger

He says that Sanchez is the next elite NFL QB. I can't imagine the reaction this would get from some other fanbases. I'm going to try to find a video of it and post it on finheaven.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Video would be fantastic for trolling purposes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    <3 Dilfer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Feeling turgid right now :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    well, even if you hate the jets, and have no love for sanchez, you simply can't ignore what he's doing. when you look at how much sanchez has improved off of last year and how he played in the playoffs, and the 15 tds (2 more running) vs. 7 ints, well, yeah, i think sanchez is a top 5 qb in the afc.

it's not always about the stats. it's about which qbs you want in cricital situations. truth, i'm not sure how much i'd want rivers in key games. sanchez already outdueled the guy in his own stadium.

i'd take big ben over sanchez though. brady, peyton, big ben. you have to put those 3 first. they're all clutch qbs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;3831060]well, even if you hate the jets, and have no love for sanchez, you simply can't ignore what he's doing. when you look at how much sanchez has improved off of last year and how he played in the playoffs, and the 15 tds (2 more running) vs. 7 ints, well, yeah, i think sanchez is a top 5 qb in the afc.

it's not always about the stats. it's about which qbs you want in cricital situations. truth, i'm not sure how much i'd want rivers in key games. sanchez already outdueled the guy in his own stadium.

[B]i'd take big ben over sanchez though. brady, peyton, big ben. you have to put those 3 first. they're all clutch qbs.[/B][/QUOTE]

Even if you say that and say Sanchez is 5 - that's quite impressive and very hard to argue with right now.

This year Sanchez has been a better QB than Ben...but again - who belongs in the top 5 other than Sanchez?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fidelioion;3831077]Even if you say that and say Sanchez is 5 - that's quite impressive and very hard to argue with right now.

This year Sanchez has been a better QB than Ben...but again - who belongs in the top 5 other than Sanchez?[/QUOTE]

after those 3, i think it's all a fair debate. many wouldn't hesitate to put rivers there, but he's really never won a key game. i don't think 'top' qbs are all about the stats. you have to deliver when your team needs it most. plus, rivers has played in a crappy division so it's not like he's had to win big divisional games just to win the afc west. the division has basically been handed to them by default all these years. then you have schaub, who is rivers w/o the divisional championships. i think sanchez is top 5.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Trent Dilfer really DOES love Sanch!

On espn just now Trent calls Sanchez the number 4 QB in the AFC, over Roethlisberger! Our boy getting some serious recognition..in other news, he's got almost as many yard as he did all last season already!

They grow up so fast, don't they:rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;3831093]after those 3, i think it's all a fair debate. many wouldn't hesitate to put rivers there, but he's really never won a key game. i don't think 'top' qbs are all about the stats. you have to deliver when your team needs it most. plus, rivers has played in a crappy division so it's not like he's had to win big divisional games just to win the afc west. the division has basically been handed to them by default all these years. then you have schaub, who is rivers w/o the divisional championships. i think sanchez is top 5.[/QUOTE]

Look, I don't like Rivers at all BUT it was a rank of the 5 best QBs in the AFC [b]THIS YEAR,[/b] not Career-Wise.

Though I'd still put Brady and Manning ahead of Rivers, though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vin;3831142]Look, I don't like Rivers at all BUT it was a rank of the 5 best QBs in the AFC [b]THIS YEAR,[/b] not Career-Wise.

Though I'd still put Brady and Manning ahead of Rivers, though.[/QUOTE]

but ranking qbs lends itself to the debate of which is more important, pure passing stats, wins, or clutch play?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best part about that statement is that there is no way to challenge it. Sanchez is undoubtedly a top-5 QB in the AFC, just by looking at the rest of the conference. Schaub and Orton are the only two guys that could have challenged, but both are leading sub-.500 teams and neither has played very well as of late.

Jets haven't had a top-5 conference QB since 2002. And this guy has far more upside than the other guy did.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I think W/L, total TD's and TD/INT are probably the best indicators of QB performance, but it's also cool that Sanchez is starting to put up big yardage numbers as well.

3 consecutive 300-yard passing games (well one was 299 but I'm going to count that anyways :D), which is the most passing yards by any QB in the league during that span.

He not only wins and leads clutch comeback drives, but he's also putting up the big stats.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;3831023]Dilfer's been on Sportscenter all morning saying that Mark Sanchez is the 4th best QB in the AFC.

They had him rank the 5 best QBs in the AFC this year and he had them in this order:

1. Philip Rivers
    2. Tom Brady
    3. Peyton Manning
    4. Mark Sanchez
    5. Ben Roethlisberger

He says that Sanchez is the next elite NFL QB. I can't imagine the reaction this would get from some other fanbases. I'm going to try to find a video of it and post it on finheaven.[/QUOTE]

Besides talent, other reasons Dilfer likes Sanchez:

1. Sanchez doesn't make weird faces while playing.
    2. Sanchez doesn't rape guys in bars.
    3. Sanchez doesn't have a grossly misshapen head.
    5. Sanchez doesn't rape girls in bars.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenWave;3831169]The best part about that statement is that there is no way to challenge it. Sanchez is undoubtedly a top-5 QB in the AFC, just by looking at the rest of the conference. Schaub and Orton are the only two guys that could have challenged, but both are leading sub-.500 teams and neither has played very well as of late.

Jets haven't had a top-5 conference QB since 2002. And this guy has far more upside than the other guy did.[/QUOTE]

I haven't been this confident about a Jets QB since Vinny was here(the '98 and 2000 version, that is).

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree with Trent and I for one have always felt that "Big Ben" was always overated!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;3831193]
    [/QUOTE]

... when did calvin pace start playing qb? ...

l_j_r

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3831184]I think W/L, total TD's and TD/INT are probably the best indicators of QB performance, but it's also cool that Sanchez is starting to put up big yardage numbers as well.

3 consecutive 300-yard passing games (well one was 299 but I'm going to count that anyways :D), which is the most passing yards by any QB in the league during that span.

He not only wins and leads clutch comeback drives, but he's also putting up the big stats.[/QUOTE]

I wish DWC were here to break them down for us. :(

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vin;3831194]I haven't been this confident about a Jets QB since Vinny was here(the '98 and 2000 version, that is).[/QUOTE]

2002 Chad was amazing. Probably one of the best statistical seasons by a Jets QB in the history of the franchise.

Off the top of my head I'd say:
    Vinny 1998
    O'Brien 1985
    Todd 1981
    Chad 2002

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The most amazing part of Sanchez season is that he is suppost to be going through his "sophmore slump" as most QBs do in year 2. Just like Marty said on HKs, if you can get the QB to equal his production from year 1 in year 2 and not take a step backwards, then you've made progress.

Can't deny how great of a job the Coaching Staff has done with Sanchez this year, its amazing all the progress he has made.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;3831193]Besides talent, other reasons Dilfer likes Sanchez:

1. Sanchez doesn't make weird faces while playing.
    [B]2. Sanchez doesn't rape guys in bars.[/B]
    5. Sanchez doesn't rape girls in bars.[/QUOTE]

I lawled. Lots! :D