Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 101 to 114 of 114

Thread: Don't be to proud....

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11,169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    +1

    My dad was diagnosed at 50, thankfully was caught early. I've been going since I was 31 because of that. I've heard that if they find something on the DRE it is a good chance that your cancer is being found very late in the game.
    I have a good fiend who's father died way too young. The doctor said that people are genetically predisposed to having a gene that causes colon cancer. He has 4 brothers, 3 of which have that gene including him, one of who had a couple of feet of his colon removed already. My friend has to get a colonoscopy twice a year.

    Good luck brother.

  2. #102
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,696
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Just had a finger shoved up my ass, everything up there is quite normal and the PSA came back just about negligible, so I'm good for another year.

    But the DRE was so loathsome, I am taking the rest of the day off and am going to sit at my pool and drink mojitos *****es.

    Get an early start on tomorrow.

    _
    I beat you. I had the "pleasure" of a cystoscopy.

    Dear God, it was painful. The after-effects? What I imagine the descriptions of peeing with an STD sound like.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I have a good fiend who's father died way too young. The doctor said that people are genetically predisposed to having a gene that causes colon cancer. He has 4 brothers, 3 of which have that gene including him, one of who had a couple of feet of his colon removed already. My friend has to get a colonoscopy twice a year.

    Good luck brother.
    Sorry about your friend's dad, man. I do my best to stay on top of my prostate and colon health. I wish more people would do the same, it's very survivable if found early.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11,169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    I beat you. I had the "pleasure" of a cystoscopy.

    Dear God, it was painful. The after-effects? What I imagine the descriptions of peeing with an STD sound like.



    Sorry about your friend's dad, man. I do my best to stay on top of my prostate and colon health. I wish more people would do the same, it's very survivable if found early.
    You hit the nail on the head. I believe people are somewhat afraid to go to doctors. If caught early, things have great chance to get it treated.

  4. #104
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    4,471
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never understood people who are afraid to go to the doctor for routine screenings as if seeing the doctor after ignoring your health/symptoms for years is a better choice. I'd rather see an MD and address any issues than wait for years and see one when You know the men who've done so have lamented why they weren't more proactive.

    The colonscopy is ridiculously easy and pain free, the worst part is drinking the prep the night before to poop you brains out.


    MACPAC- how are you doing?

  5. #105
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    The colonscopy is ridiculously easy and pain free
    For you. Because of the calluses.

  6. #106
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,308
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    I never understood people who are afraid to go to the doctor for routine screenings as if seeing the doctor after ignoring your health/symptoms for years is a better choice. I'd rather see an MD and address any issues than wait for years and see one when You know the men who've done so have lamented why they weren't more proactive.

    The colonscopy is ridiculously easy and pain free, the worst part is drinking the prep the night before to poop you brains out.


    MACPAC- how are you doing?
    Absolutely, but my doctor told me wait for 50. It does not make sense before that age ( unless family history )

  7. #107
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,308
    Post Thanks / Like
    My mother in law went in Monday to have this procedure and a few days later is in severe pain. Can someone recommend a hospital in the tri state area,that can be trusted, to let her know what they did wrong?

  8. #108
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    I never understood people who are afraid to go to the doctor for routine screenings as if seeing the doctor after ignoring your health/symptoms for years is a better choice. I'd rather see an MD and address any issues than wait for years and see one when You know the men who've done so have lamented why they weren't more proactive.

    The colonscopy is ridiculously easy and pain free, the worst part is drinking the prep the night before to poop you brains out.


    MACPAC- how are you doing?
    I feel the same way.

    At what age are you supposed to start getting these screenings?

  9. #109
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    WHILE WE ARE AT IT......

    I am sure, like me, you weren't concerned about sunburns growing up.

    If you have any moles or spots, have them checked! especially, if they are:

    New
    Dark
    Irregular shaped.

    Just lost a college roommate to Melenoma. It can spread fast.

  10. #110
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    4,471
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I feel the same way.

    At what age are you supposed to start getting these screenings?
    I believe its 40 if you have a family member with a histroy of cc or (benign) polyps but I think its 50 otherwise. Ask your physician during next check up- he'll know for sure based on your med history.

    As I've repeatedly said no worries as the test is easy and painless and if in the remote chance they find anything they can remove it "while they're in there". I've had family members that had benign polyps removed that potentially could've turned malignant in 6-15 years had they not been removed.
    Last edited by PatriotReign; 07-07-2012 at 04:43 PM.

  11. #111
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    4,471
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    My mother in law went in Monday to have this procedure and a few days later is in severe pain. Can someone recommend a hospital in the tri state area,that can be trusted, to let her know what they did wrong?
    I've never heard of anyone complaining of pain afterward...there is a small risk with every procedure but they are rare and as stated its indisputable that the exam can save your life. There are no shortage of quality hospital outpatient centers in the NY area- shouldn't be too difficult to find one.

  12. #112
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,940
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    For you. Because of the calluses.
    Ohhhhhhhhh!!!


  13. #113
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,308
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    I've never heard of anyone complaining of pain afterward...there is a small risk with every procedure but they are rare and as stated its indisputable that the exam can save your life. There are no shortage of quality hospital outpatient centers in the NY area- shouldn't be too difficult to find one.
    She is in serious pain. I'm doing the research, just wanted some opinions

  14. #114
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,696
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    She is in serious pain. I'm doing the research, just wanted some opinions
    Emergency room. They could have accidentally perforated her colon. Don't wait, that's serious.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us