Thread: The DC has something to say.......

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

The DC has something to say.......

[url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/11/defensive_coordinator_mike_pet.html[/url]

[QUOTE=Apache 51;3831655][url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/11/defensive_coordinator_mike_pet.html[/url][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]
    [B][SIZE="4"]Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine calls unit's performance in Houston win 'inexcusable'[/SIZE][/B]

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine called his unit’s performance “inexcusable” and a “perfect storm of things that went wrong.”

He also said the Jets defense planned to give the offense a giant thank you card for bailing them out in the team’s 30-27 win against Houston.

“Hey, the win is great, but at the same time, you look yourself in the mirror and say, ‘Did I do my job?’ ” Pettine said. “Did I do my job as coordinator? Did our players do their jobs on their assignments? There were some answers there that you might not necessarily like.”

Pettine, who shares the play-calling duties with coach Rex Ryan, said he felt that he didn’t have a great game, “especially late.” The Jets allowed the Texans to score 20 points in the fourth quarter, turning a comfortable 23-7 Jets lead into a four-point deficit with less than a minute to play. The offense dug them out with an improbable touchdown drive.

Pettine said the system he and Ryan use to call plays, in which Pettine has a greater hand this season, will not be modified -- and the defense won’t make any knee-jerk changes after Sunday’s win.

“There’s no panic,” he said. “We’ve told our guys we’re not flinching. We believe in what we do. We checked the sky today, and it ain’t falling.”
    But they have been working to clean up their miscues. There have been communication issues between the players on the field, and Pettine said it’s “hard” mixing in new guys like Brodney Pool, Jason Taylor and Antonio Cromartie, who are in their first year in year two of the system.

“We took a long, hard look at some of the things we were doing,” Pettine said. “I’m not going to get into specifics …We realized there were some scheme issues and some personnel issues, and we’ve addressed those.”
    Linebacker Bart Scott was frustrated with the defense’s performance and didn’t speak with reporters for two days after the game.

“Just upset,” he explained yesterday. “You’re happy you won the game, but you also want to play the way you’re capable of playing. When you’re upset like that, sometimes you need a cooling-off period. Out of respect for my teammates and my organization, I walked away.”[/QUOTE]

I added the story for us lazy people that don't click on links. :)

All League
    I hope they really did address some issues and that's not just coach speak.

All Pro
    Glad to hear the defense is looking to tighten things up. As good as they've been, you just can't blow leads like that.

When I read the title, I was expecting the "3 Men Walk Into A Bar" joke..... ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE]There have been communication issues between the players on the field, and Pettine said it’s “hard” mixing in new guys like Brodney Pool, Jason Taylor and Antonio Cromartie, who are in their first year in year two of the system.[/QUOTE]

That's no excuse, they weren't holdovers from before Rex and Pettine got here, they were handpicked and supposed upgrades. Cromartie's been great for the most part, but Taylor's only been a factor for the first two games when he picked up a couple sacks, and Pool is clearly inferior to the guy he replaced. All that said, I'm not even really down on the defense, they'll be winning games for us before the season is over, I just don't like that reasoning from Pettine.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3831773]That's no excuse, they weren't holdovers from before Rex and Pettine got here, they were handpicked and supposed upgrades. Cromartie's been great for the most part, but Taylor's only been a factor for the first two games when he picked up a couple sacks, and Pool is clearly inferior to the guy he replaced. All that said, I'm not even really down on the defense, they'll be winning games for us before the season is over, I just don't like that reasoning from Pettine.[/QUOTE]

You have to remember, though....Taylor got more playing time because CALVIN PACE WAS OUT. Once he came back, Taylor was used only sparingly so you really can't gauge his effectiveness properly.

Pool is the "Bust" here.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3831773]That's no excuse, they weren't holdovers from before Rex and Pettine got here, they were handpicked and supposed upgrades. Cromartie's been great for the most part, but Taylor's only been a factor for the first two games when he picked up a couple sacks, and Pool is clearly inferior to the guy he replaced. All that said, I'm not even really down on the defense, they'll be winning games for us before the season is over, I just don't like that reasoning from Pettine.[/QUOTE]

But when you look at that one play where the WR was left alone for a TD, guess what 2 guys were mixed up? Cromartie and Taylor.

It sucks but there always seems to be communication problems or whatever it may be..hopefully this wakes them up and do something about it. I would have to think one more performance like this and then we'll start hearing from Pettine that the sky is falling. Especially if it comes attached with a loss.

[QUOTE]Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine called his unit’s performance “inexcusable”[/QUOTE]

The secret panacea doesn't work if used improperly.

Supposed to be: "Play Jets f-kin' football. That's not good enough, that's BULLSH!T."

Now THAT gets 'em razzled.