Thread: True or False: Dwight Lowey is the key to this season

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

True or False: Dwight Lowey is a (the?) key to this season

Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? But let's think about it. Every team (especially these past 3 weeks) has had success with their tight ends against us. It's been unreal how well they've been able to get open against our safeties. The ONLY player I see on our roster capable of covering these quicker tight ends from the safety position is Dwight Lowery.

Now why is this the KEY to the season? Because if we want to reach our goals we're going to have to beat New England.

The key area that New England has improved upon since week 2 (besides the maturation of their defense and the inclusion of Woodhead) is the increased roles of their rookie tight ends. New England doesn't have 1 tight end capable of beating you...they have TWO. We cannot afford to play the way we've been playing and expect to beat them.

I see that Lowery is out again tomorrow...and I fear that Gresham will have a field day. Ultimately though, I hope that Lowery is 100% to go against New England on December 6th.
    Last edited by JamaicanJetFan; 11-24-2010 at 12:33 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Odly enough, the stats say: True

The Defense struggles without Lowery. With him the D averages giving up 13.4 points per game; without him it is more than a TD worse at 22 points per game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly. I don't think it's a coincidence that Lowery has missed these last 3 games, and these tight ends have all had good games.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    When is he due to return?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    But they still won the last three games.

Lowery is a role player on defense, nowhere close to a "Key To The Season"

Come on, man. Let's not overstate the value of a player who isn't even an every down starter.

Covering the TEs was a problem from week 1 (see Todd Heap) and will continue to be a problem until they find a LB who can cover one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lowery has only missed one game so far, against Houston.

he's already been ruled out for this week, though.

but he played against DET and CLE, just mostly on special teams.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3832268]Lowery has only missed one game so far, against Houston.

he's already been ruled out for this week, though.

but he played against DET and CLE, just mostly on special teams.[/QUOTE]

Missed the 2nd half of the Cleveland game after getting dinged on the 2nd half KO

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3832271]Missed the 2nd half of the Cleveland game after getting dinged on the 2nd half KO[/QUOTE]

OK, so he has missed 1.5 games, not 3.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... false ...

... sanchez playing like he has in the last couple of 4th quarters & OT is the key to whether we will win the big one ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;3832222]Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? But let's think about it. Every team (especially these past 3 weeks) has had success with their tight ends against us. It's been unreal how well they've been able to get open against our safeties. The ONLY player I see on our roster capable of covering these quicker tight ends from the safety position is Dwight Lowery.

Now why is this the KEY to the season? Because if we want to reach our goals we're going to have to beat New England.

The key area that New England has improved upon since week 2 (besides the maturation of their defense and the inclusion of Woodhead) is the increased roles of their rookie tight ends. New England doesn't have 1 tight end capable of beating you...they have TWO. We cannot afford to play the way we've been playing and expect to beat them.

I see that Lowery is out again tomorrow...and I fear that Gresham will have a field day. Ultimately though, I hope that Lowery is 100% to go against New England on December 6th.[/QUOTE]

I agree that we struggle with TEs and that Lowery should help that. As for New England, I think we will treat Hernandez as a WR and cover him with Cromartie. I am interested to see how we man up with New England now that Moss is gone. WEelker and Hernandez are obviously their 2 biggest weapons on Offense now, so does Revis shadow Welker all game like he did in 2008? Does cro follow Hernandez around and take our chances with Coleman/Wilson on Tate? I think we matchup pretty well. Will be interesting to see how we handle it, especially with almost a week and a half to prepare.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This guy is the D's X factor...possibly:

[IMG]http://www.mkrob.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/large_vernon14.jpg[/IMG]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know about "key to the season"....that's kind of of an ESPN-type way of asking a much more complicated question. Obviously, there's no one "key" to the whole season, and even there was, it probably wouldn't involve a back-up DB.

But I do agree that he's more important than he's given credit for being.

And I'm definitely concerned about his health. The fact that Rex announced on Monday that he was definitely out for Thursday's game worries me -- this must be a severe concussion we're talking about, and he must still be having significant symptoms. Don't like to say it, but this may linger for a while, and even when he does come back, it may take him a while to get in the full swing of things. If he sustained the type of concussion I suspect he might have, it can mess with a guy's desire to even play this game. Hope I'm wrong on this one and they're just being ultra-cautious about this week.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking that if Jen Sterger had agreed to polish Lod Favre's knob back in the day that we might be sitting here today suffering through Minnasota's season from hell.

Jen Sterger is the key to our season :D

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting thread. I like Lowery, he's not fast but he's got pretty good instincts and ball skills (for a reserve DB). Wilson was benched for a stretch of bad play, I hope Rex does the same to Drew Coleman and Eric Smith and gives Lowery a chance.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, anyone know exactly when/how Lowery got that concussion?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3832494]Also, anyone know exactly when/how Lowery got that concussion?[/QUOTE]

Cleveland game, kickoff.

I think it may have been the opening kickoff of the second half.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished playing Madden 11 with my son for most of the past 48 hours, and I gotta say Lowery is a difference maker in Madden 11. He is all over the place making plays. Just sayn' .... art imitates life....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So...uh...this just became a pretty big deal huh?