Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanchez on Endorsement Opportunities: "Less is More"

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanchez on Endorsement Opportunities: "Less is More"

[QUOTE]NEW YORK (AP) Mark Sanchez could have graced the covers of the September issues of several sports and men's magazines.

"I knew with 'Hard Knocks' coming up this year there would be so much exposure," the New York Jets quarterback said of HBO's preseason reality show that made him even more famous.

"We didn't need any more pressure than we already had," Sanchez added.

The second-year player, who turned 24 last week, sounded like a veteran business executive Tuesday talking about his brand, his marketing team, companies that align with his values.

"By doing very little, it amounts to a lot here in New York," Sanchez said. "That's the thing you have to remember: Less is more."

On Tuesday, Sanchez made one of those selective appearances for a home fitness video game, Ubisoft's "Your Shape Fitness Evolved." Sanchez noted that "you don't have to be an NFL player" to play the game, that it was perfect for somebody who hadn't worked out in a while and wasn't comfortable going to a gym.

A product that offers activities such as yoga to average folks hoping to lose weight may seem like an odd match for a pro football star, but Sanchez sees it as a natural endorsement.

"Their company values align with mine on keeping people active," he said. "Instead of just sitting down and moving your thumbs a little bit, it gets you really involved."

As the starting quarterback on a New York team tied for the league's best record, Sanchez is already one of the NFL's most high-profile players even though the Jets don't ask him to win games by himself with his arm. He said there was no reason to fret about the swelling in his right calf, which he hurt in the overtime win over Cleveland he expected to practice fully this week leading into Sunday's game against Houston.

Sanchez's broad appeal has led to many offers that have little to do with his sport. He said he was sticking to opportunities that were connected to football or charitable.

"For every one we do we probably turn away maybe hundreds, from TV shows to reality this and that, even charities," Sanchez said. "That's the hardest thing to do is to say no to charities."

It's been easy to say no to reality TV.

"I don't need my own reality show," Sanchez said. "That's just not my thing."
    [/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.ktla.com/sports/sns-ap-fbn-jets-sanchezs-brand,0,633820.story?track=rss[/url]

At least he's demonstrating that his principles determine his business opportunities. What he does endorse at least he believes in.

I just remembered Carson Palmer's hotdog endorsement.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still laugh at all the Brady Quinn endorsments

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Equilibrium;3832410][url]http://www.ktla.com/sports/sns-ap-fbn-jets-sanchezs-brand,0,633820.story?track=rss[/url]

At least he's demonstrating that his principles determine his business opportunities. What he does endorse at least he believes in.

I just remembered Carson Palmer's hotdog endorsement.[/QUOTE]

He's a perfect fit for this market. Humble but a presence in pop culture. No controversies and always says the right thing.

I can't help but get excited about the guy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    just a guess but I doubt Toyotas "core values" aligned with his yet I still see stupid commercial every 10 minutes on SNY.

more like the wad of cash they gave him aligned with his wallet.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Pac2566;3832420]just a guess but I doubt Toyotas "core values" aligned with his yet I still see stupid commercial every 10 minutes on SNY.

more like the wad of cash they gave him aligned with his wallet.[/QUOTE]

did he make more Toyota commercials or are you talking about the one from last year (that they still play) "my wife lays out my clothes"? The article above seems to be referring to the choices he made going into this season.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Pac2566;3832420]just a guess but I doubt Toyotas "core values" aligned with his yet I still see stupid commercial every 10 minutes on SNY.

A wad of cash and probably a car. I noticed on Hard Knocks that he drives a Toyota Land Cruiser.

Still, I've only seen him do that one commercial, and some promo stuff on the Toyota website. Not a whole lot.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the ugly Yankee-Jeter situation, Sanchez has an opportunity to become the biggest sports celebrity in the tri-state area now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=majormajor42;3832433]did he make more Toyota commercials or are you talking about the one from last year (that they still play) "my wife lays out my clothes"? The article above seems to be referring to the choices he made going into this season.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the one from last year - they still show it all the time.

Yes I got the impression from the article he means going forward but felt like pointing out the mild hypocrisy (as slight as it may be).

and not for nothing but every time I try to convince myself this kid ain't gay he goes and does something like endorses a Yoga game... I don't particularly care if he lays with dudes but just seems funny I've waited my whole life for a franchise Jet QB and it winds up being Monroe from Too Close for Comfort. oh well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Pac2566;3832452]and not for nothing but every time I try to convince myself this kid ain't gay he goes and does something like endorses a Yoga game... I don't particularly care if he lays with dudes but just seems funny I've waited my whole life for a franchise Jet QB and it winds up being Monroe from Too Close for Comfort. oh well.[/QUOTE]

Okay, Col. Frank Fitts.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is Sancheese on the right or the left?

[IMG]http://130.18.140.19/mmsoc/GAY3.JPG[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;3832458]Okay, Col. Frank Fitts.[/QUOTE]

a reference so obscure I had to google it... at least Jm J Bullock was a big name in the 80's.

naw that's not me man.. who he wants to have pillow fights with doesn't matter to me in the least. I just think it's kinda funny.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3832442]A wad of cash and probably a car. I noticed on Hard Knocks that he drives a Toyota Land Cruiser.

Still, I've only seen him do that one commercial, and some promo stuff on the Toyota website. Not a whole lot.[/QUOTE]

Toyota sponsors the Jets. Probably a package deal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you ask me he's playing it smart. right now it's not like he needs the money. assuming the jets have some great success and he still comes off as a nice guy then his whole persona will have some real lasting ability. kind of like frank gifford or even joe dimaggio. jeter fits that mold too. we'll be seeing his name on things long after he hangs up the pin stripes.

and isn't that the way it should be? get the field accolades first and then translate them into endorsements. a lot of these athletes go out and do the endorsements without even playing a meaningful game. how much credibility can an advertiser have who uses an unproven guy?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=majormajor42;3832433]did he make more Toyota commercials or are you talking about the one from last year (that they still play) "my wife lays out my clothes"? The article above seems to be referring to the choices he made going into this season.[/QUOTE]

so, not long after typing the above, I start seeing these Pepsi Max commercials with Sanchez. I guess they are new commercials?

[IMG]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKFsLC9M0XM[/IMG]
    Last edited by majormajor42; 11-27-2010 at 06:29 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Toyota aligns with my core values, GREEN AND WHITE! :yes:

[IMG]http://inlinethumb49.webshots.com/22832/2937604000102895007S500x500Q85.jpg[/IMG]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kdelgado;3832417]He's a perfect fit for this market. Humble but a presence in pop culture. No controversies and always says the right thing.

I can't help but get excited about the guy.[/QUOTE]

a la #2 Jeter

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Pac2566;3832452]Yeah the one from last year - they still show it all the time.

Yes I got the impression from the article he means going forward but felt like pointing out the mild hypocrisy (as slight as it may be).

and not for nothing but every time I try to convince myself this kid ain't gay he goes and does something like endorses a Yoga game... I don't particularly care if he lays with dudes but just seems funny I've waited my whole life for a franchise Jet QB and it winds up being Monroe from Too Close for Comfort. oh well.[/QUOTE]
    i don't see the big deal about the toyota commercial. i doubt he had the volume of offers he has now. he probably had to be less strict. i think he's talking about his decisions now going forward. toyota doesn't exactly beat people and lock them in sweatshops or something. how would toyota exactly be against his principles?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3837388]Toyota aligns with my core values, GREEN AND WHITE! :yes:

[IMG]http://inlinethumb49.webshots.com/22832/2937604000102895007S500x500Q85.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Not quite green enough... :P

OT: how are the blind spots on that baby? Buddy told me blind spot mirrors are a must on this truck

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;3837455]Not quite green enough... :P

OT: how are the blind spots on that baby? Buddy told me blind spot mirrors are a must on this truck[/QUOTE]

As in environment friendly green or the green in your av? :D

Pretty bad to be honest, but I knew that going in. Your have to really use your mirrors (which I always do anyway), but a $4 pack for 2 circular fish-eye lens mirrors worked wonders. :yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't toyota a Jets sponsor? I guess it makes since since he plays for the Jets. JMO