Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets Have 3 of the 10 Least Productive Pass Rushing LB's This Season

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Jets Have 3 of the 10 Least Productive Pass Rushing LB's This Season

According to profootballfocus.com

[QUOTE]Pass-Rushing Productivity: Whoís making the most of their opportunities?
    November 19th, 2010 | Author: Khaled Elsayed

Itís back!

Our special formula, prized just slightly less highly than KFCís secret recipe, gives the truest sense of how productive each pass rusher is on a per-play basis.

While most of the football world reports dutifully on sack counts, we tell you whoís getting all of the pressure, and on what percentage of pass-rush snaps.

Pass-Rushing Productivity. We have missed you. There are more than a few surprises here, not the least of which is the overall leader, a guy that doesnít exactly conjure images of Bruce Smith or Lawrence Taylor.

For those unfamiliar with the formula, here it is. First, we total something called ďQB Disruption Points,Ē which values sacks over hits and pressures: QB Disruption Points = Sacks + Hits (0.75) + Pressures (0.75)

We arrived at that balance after a general audit of our grades and tracking over the past three seasons, and found that hits and pressures represent about 75 percent of the value of sacks.

Then, to arrive at a score that measures productivity per rush, itís simple: Pass-Rushing Productivity = QB Disruptions Points / Number of Pass Rushes x 100.

So, the final number represents the percentage of damage each rusher inflicts on his forays toward the backfield.

But enough of the waffle. You want some numbers, right? Well letís get straight into it. Hereís our overall top 10.

(Note: only players who rushed passer 100 or more times qualified)

[CODE]The Overall Top 10
    POS Team Name Rushes PRP
    LB San Francisco 49ers Manny Lawson 111 16.7
    LB Kansas City Chiefs Tamba Hali 306 15.8
    LB San Francisco 49ers Travis LaBoy 120 15
    LB Green Bay Packers Clay Matthews 242 14.5
    DE Atlanta Falcons John Abraham 218 14.3
    DE Seattle Seahawks Chris Clemons 297 14.1
    DE Minnesota Vikings Ray Edwards 277 13.9
    LB Cleveland Browns Marcus Benard 129 13.8
    LB Pittsburgh Steelers LaMarr Woodley 236 13.6
    DE St Louis Rams Chris Long 333 13.3[/CODE]

I know what youíre thinking. Manny Lawson? Manny Lawson! Yes, Manny Lawson.

Itís important to note that Lawson has only rushed the passer 111 times, and so this could possibly drop as the season goes on. He had a decent year in 2009, but only scored at 8.79 percent.

Indeed, itís far less surprising to look one spot below and see that Tamba Hali is a clear point ahead of all players who have rushed the passer more than 200 times. So as a full-time pass-rusher, itís safe to say that Hali (even with that less-than-stellar game against the Broncos) is in a league of his own.

What may be as interesting is that John Abraham (the man who gave Joe Thomas the worst day of his pro career) is the most productive defensive end, narrowly beating Chris ĎThe Bad Tackle AbuserĒ Clemons and Ray ďWill Somebody Pay MeĒ Edwards. Abraham featured highly on our 2008 and 2009 rankings and though he isnít as consistent as he was, he isnít showing any signs of slowing down.

One of the most interesting names in the top ten for defensive ends is rookie Brandon Graham. Weíve given his Eagles teammate Trent Cole an awful lot of (deserved) praise in declaring him our top candidate for defensive player of the year these past three weeks and itís no surprise heís in the top five for productive pass-rushers. But Graham (who admittedly struggles in run defense) hasnít been too far off the pace and is just two spots below, while Juqua Parker is 14th of all defensive ends. Want to know why I feel confident endorsing the Eagles as a Super Bowl favorite? The defensive ends have a big part to play in it.

[CODE]Top 10 Linebackers
    Team Name Rushes PRP
    San Francisco 49ers Manny Lawson 111 16.7
    Kansas City Chiefs Tamba Hali 306 15.8
    San Francisco 49ers Travis LaBoy 120 15
    Green Bay Packers Clay Matthews 242 14.5
    Cleveland Browns Marcus Benard 129 13.8
    Pittsburgh Steelers LaMarr Woodley 236 13.6
    Pittsburgh Steelers James Harrison 224 13.2
    Cleveland Browns Chris Gocong 102 12
    Miami Dolphins Cameron Wake 265 12
    San Francisco 49ers Parys Haralson 174 11.8[/CODE]

And what of those linebackers? Weíve already mentioned Lawson, but how about the fact that the 49ers have three players in the top 10 most productive pass-rushers at this spot? Granted it has been done on a lower level of snaps, but it paints a good (and realistic) picture of how theyíve been able to get pressure. Now if only their offense could match that kind of end result.

Elsewhere, part of why the Cleveland Browns are a team nobody wants to face is the pressure they get with their linebackers moving all over the place. Situational linebacker Marcus Benard and two-downer Chris Gocong are in the top ten but with full-timers Matt Roth (13th) and Scott Fujita (15th) also in the top 15, you have a unit that is making life extremely difficult for teams.

[CODE]Top 10 Interior Defensive Linemen
    Team Name Rushes PRP
    New England Patriots Mike Wright 183 11.5
    Cleveland Browns Shaun Rogers 164 10.1
    Seattle Seahawks Brandon Mebane 140 8.75
    [B]New York Jets Shaun Ellis 250 8.5[/B]
    Kansas City Chiefs Wallace Gilberry 212 8.14
    Washington Redskins Albert Haynesworth 114 8.11
    Cincinnati Bengals Geno Atkins 167 7.93
    San Francisco 49ers Justin Smith 304 7.81
    Green Bay Packers Cullen Jenkins 234 7.8
    Oakland Raiders Richard Seymour 248 7.76[/CODE]

And itís another somewhat surprising name at the top of our interior (combined defensive tackles and 3-4 ends) defensive lineman rankings. The Patriotsí Mike Wright has a substantial lead, and while his run defense isnít always up to scratch, getting that kind of production from a role player is why the Patriots are such a good franchise year in and year out.

Interesting that we get to see the sub-package tackles come in and kick some backside after losing their starting roles this year. Not many people are talking about Shaun Rogers, but the guy is about as tough to block as a man of his size can be, and itís no surprise to see him ranked second. If thereís a guy who may be tougher to block, itís Albert Haynesworth. Heís in a spot now where he canít justify the amount heís getting paid with how much action he sees, but when heís on the field he does everything in his power to do so. Given the talent there, it wouldnít surprise to see him rise as the year progresses and the Redskins realize they need to get him on the field more.

[CODE]Bottom 10 Defensive Ends
    Team Name Rushes PRP
    Carolina Panthers Tyler Brayton 183 2.05
    St Louis Rams George Selvie 136 3.13
    New York Giants Jason Pierre-Paul 136 3.31
    Indianapolis Colts Keyunta Dawson 199 4.15
    Tennessee Titans William Hayes 170 4.41
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers Kyle Moore 149 4.53
    Cincinnati Bengals Michael D. Johnson 184 4.62
    Seattle Seahawks Kentwan Balmer 129 4.65
    Cincinnati Bengals Antwan Odom 109 4.82
    Cincinnati Bengals Robert Geathers 274 5.29[/CODE]

In some respects isnít not a surprise to see Tyler Brayton here. He moves inside on third-down situations and has played hurt. But he should be doing better than that, and when you compare the productivity of Brayton to Charles Johnson (15th-ranked defensive end) you get an immediate impression of where the Panthers need to improve. It doesnít help that the guy who was meant to replace Julius Peppers (who is 23rd ó a reasonable tradeoff given his production in the running game) is struggling. Everette Brown has the 14th-lowest score.

Most notable is the presence of three Bengals players in the bottom 10. Ouch. Thatís why youíre 2-7 ó because your defenders canít get any pressure. It was always risky relying on Antwan Odom coming back from injury, but the warning signs have been there for a while when you look at Robert Geathers.

[CODE]Bottom 10 Linebackers
    Team Name Rushes PRP
    Arizona Cardinals Clark Haggans 189 3.84
    Green Bay Packers Frank Zombo 147 3.91
    Washington Redskins Andre Carter 296 4.05
    [B]New York Jets Jason Taylor 219 4.22[/B]
    Baltimore Ravens Jarret Johnson 218 4.59
    [B]New York Jets Calvin Pace 139 4.68
    New York Jets David Harris 109 5.05[/B]
    Buffalo Bills Chris Kelsay 214 5.37
    Green Bay Packers Brad Jones 116 5.82
    Washington Redskins Lorenzo Alexander 167 6.14[/CODE]

It doesnít exactly make great reading for Packers fans, does it? You get an idea of just how reliant they are on Clay Matthews when you see that Brad Jones and Frank Zombo are among the worst in the league when it comes to getting to the quarterback. Still, itís prettier than looking at the Redskins. Andre Carter went from one of the most productive guys to one of the least while Lorenzo Alexander may do a lot of things, but rushing the passer isnít one of them. You do really question that transition to a 3-4 more and more.

The Pass Rushing Productivity rating doesnít tell us who the best pass-rushers are. Weíve got a grading system for that. But it does offer an insight into why guys with big sack counts might not necessarily be having the season some would lead you to believe. Take Ndamukong Suh, for example. Elite talent and big playmaker. But on a per-play basis he is only the 20th-most productive interior defensive linemen at generating pressure, worse than fellow rookie Geno Atkins and comprehensively beaten by Gerard Warren (13th) and Antonio Garay (16th).

Weíll leave you to ponder that. If youíre interested in finding out more about specific players or teams or have a media request for more information, contact [email]khaled.elsayed@profootballfocus.com[/email] and weíll see what we can do.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2010/11/19/pass-rushing-productivity-whos-making-the-most-of-their-opportunities/[/url]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well thats it then, we shouldn't resign Harris in the offseason, guy is clearly a bum.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't resign Harris.

Easily replacable.

Bart Scott, although not on the list, sucks too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need a big boy upfront badly. If only Jenkins wasn't Mr.Glass things would be so much different. Hope we can find someone in the off season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pouha didn't make the list? CAN HIM! Plus his name is hard to spell and impossible to pronounce! C'mon - a "P" that's pronounced like a "B"?! WTF?! :mad:

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chupa;3832517]Well thats it then, we shouldn't resign Harris in the offseason, guy is clearly a bum.[/QUOTE]

This article pertains only to pass-rushing, and only for the 10 games of the 2010 season. The stats here just confirm what everyone's been saying they see - we can't get to the QB, the linebackers in particular.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3832512]According to profootballfocus.com

[url]http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2010/11/19/pass-rushing-productivity-whos-making-the-most-of-their-opportunities/[/url][/QUOTE]

I think I saw John Abraham on the "top 10 productive" list

:censor:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't need some BS stats to tell me that Calvin Pace, David Harris and Jason Taylor aren't good pass rushers. If you watch the games closely, you can gather that on your own.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally think that the league just allows a helluva lot more holding than they used to.
    Save the QB at all costs is this leagues mantra.
    I would love to see holding stats in 2010 compared to other years.

I can't remember the last time the Patriots have been called for holding on the oline, or for blocking before the ball has been released!
    They make their living on this one. Pats are the kings of the pick, rub off & blocking to early.
    The only people that see it are the people at home watching the replays.

It's hilarious, the announcers even blow it off with, "well, could have been a holding call on that play" or "may have been a block just a tad early, oh well"

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank God for Rex and Revis, otherwise this D would suck

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3832535]This article pertains only to pass-rushing, and only for the 10 games of the 2010 season. The stats here just confirm what everyone's been saying they see - we can't get to the QB, the linebackers in particular.[/QUOTE]

We don't even blitz David Harris as a pass rusher that much so these stats are meaningless. Pace and Scott blitz.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BleedGreen314;3832552]I think I saw John Abraham on the "top 10 productive" list

:censor:[/QUOTE]

yeah he finally got off the "top 10 injured" list

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Calvin Pace is garbage this year. Might be cut-worthy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our linebackers suck.

I would not give Harris another dime. And, if there is a way to get rid of Scott without taking a salary cap hit under the future CBA, I'd dump his worthless ass as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds about right. Our pass rush is awful, and when we do get some pressure on a rare occasion, it seems to come from a blitzing DB most of the time.

JT started the season well, but he's dropped off big time. Harris, Scott, and Thomas are run stuffing thumpers, not blitzers. Pace seems like he's not playing at full strength, and it appears he never fully recovered from his broken foot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    imo there are other reasons. taylor was quite a good pass rusher with the dolfins. i guess he may have lost it but he was still very productive last season. as for harris and pace, harris is used mainly for run stopping. pace has been a bit of a disappointment so far. but so much of this depends on what the rest of the team is doing. are the safeties covering? db's covering? is the dline blowing up the oline? it all interplays so the most telling stat is points against. thus far the jet defense is doing pretty well in that regard.

[QUOTE=Jack Straw;3832554]I don't need some BS stats to tell me that Calvin Pace, David Harris and Jason Taylor aren't good pass rushers. If you watch the games closely, you can gather that on your own.[/QUOTE]

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jack Straw;3832554]I don't need some BS stats to tell me that Calvin Pace, David Harris and Jason Taylor aren't good pass rushers. If you watch the games closely, you can gather that on your own.[/QUOTE]

If the stats confirm what you see when you watch the game, wouldn't that make them good :huh:

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    8-2

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;3832582]We don't even blitz David Harris as a pass rusher that much so these stats are meaningless. Pace and Scott blitz.[/QUOTE]

yeah man I agree I don't even care if Harris never gets another sack for the rest of the year. He takes on O Lineman all day and bounces off of them to make tackles at will. Vilma was man handled prior to Harris and seeing how Harris deals with this, unless a guy is completely proven I don't think we should think about somebody else. Harris is a strong football player and a beast. Frankly he's been a bit beat up this year as well and I think thats hindered some of his numbers obviously. pace is our main pass rusher and he's played horrible as far as a pass rusher. Lowery has as many sacks as he does. Scott I don't expect huge sack numbers but Taylor has made plays this season where he's pressured a QB and not made the sack but forced him to make a mistake. Pace will be infront of the QB and the QB will treat him like he doesn't exist cause he's easily avoidable. I just didn't understand why we didn't draft some young kid who can get at the QB this year. I didn't mind the Wilson pick but evenutally I thought we'd go after a speedy line backer who can get to the QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3832622]8-2[/QUOTE]

silly WCO, wins and losses don't matter.

it's all about teh Statz!!!