Thread: Why Work?

All League

Why Work?

Someone at work sent this article to me. I have no idea if the numbers are accurate or not and I'm sure that anyone with an agenda can slant numbers anyway they want, but thought it was an interesting read nonetheless.

In Entitlement America, The Head Of A Household Of Four Making Minimum Wage Has More Disposable Income Than A Family Making $60,000 A Year

Submitted by Tyler Durden on 11/21/2010 23:18 -0500
    Federal Tax

Tonight's stunning financial piece de resistance comes from Wyatt Emerich of The Cleveland Current. In what is sure to inspire some serious ire among all those who once believed Ronald Reagan that it was the USSR that was the "Evil Empire", Emmerich analyzes disposable income and economic benefits among several key income classes and comes to the stunning (and verifiable) conclusion that "a one-parent family of three making $14,500 a year (minimum wage) has more disposable income than a family making $60,000 a year." And that excludes benefits from Supplemental Security Income disability checks. America is now a country which punishes those middle-class people who not only try to work hard, but avoid scamming the system. Not surprisingly, it is not only the richest and most audacious thieves that prosper - it is also the penny scammers at the very bottom of the economic ladder that rip off the middle class each and every day, courtesy of the world's most generous entitlement system. Perhaps if Reagan were alive today, he would wish to modify the object of his once legendary remark.
    From Emmerich:
    You can do as well working one week a month at minimum wage as you can working $60,000-a-year, full-time, high-stress job.

My chart tells the story. It is pretty much self-explanatory.

Stunning? Just do it yourself.
    Almost all welfare programs have Web sites where you can call up "benefits calculators." Just plug in your income and family size and, presto, your benefits are automatically calculated.

The chart is quite revealing. A one-parent family of three making $14,500 a year (minimu wage) has more disposable income than a amily making $60,000 a year.
    And if that wasn't enough, here is one that will blow your mind:
    If the family provider works only one week a month at minimum wage, he or she makes 92 percent as much as a provider grossing $60,000 a year.
    Ever wonder why Obama was so focused on health reform? It is so those who have no interest or ability in working, make as much as representatives of America's once exalted, and now merely endangered, middle class.
    First of all, working one week a month, saves big-time on child care. But the real big-ticket item is Medicaid, which has minimal deductibles and copays. By working only one week a month at a minimum wage job, a provider is able to get total medical coverage for next to nothing.

Compare this to the family provider making $60,000 a year. A typical Mississippi family coverage would cost around $12,000, adding deductibles and copays adds an additional $4,500 or so to the bill. That's a huge hit.
    There is a reason why a full time worker may not be too excited to learn there is little to show for doing the "right thing."
    The full-time $60,000-a-year job is going to be much more demanding than woring one week a month at minimu wage. Presumably, the low-income parent will have more energy to attend to the various stresses of managing a household.
    It gets even scarier if one assumes a little dishonesty is throwin in the equation.
    If the one-week-a-month worker maintains an unreported cash-only job on the side, the deal gets better than a regular $60,000-a-year job. In this scenario, you maintain a reportable, payroll deductible, low-income job for federal tax purposes. This allows you to easily establish your qualification for all these welfare programs. Then your black-market job gives you additional cash without interfering with your benefits. Some economists estimate there is one trillion in unreported income each year in the United States.

This really got me thinking. Just how much money could I get if I set out to deliberately scam the system? I soon realized that getting a low-paying minimum wage job would set the stage for far more welfare benefits than you could earn in a real job, if you were weilling to cheat. Even if you dodn't cheat, you could do almost as well working one week a month at minimum wage than busting a gut at a $60,000-a-year job.
    Now where it gets plainly out of control is if one throws in Supplemental Security Income.
    SSI pays $8,088 per year for each "disabled" family member. A person can be deemed "disabled" if thy are totally lacking in the cultural and educational skills needed to be employable in the workforce.

If you add $24,262 a year for three disability checks, the lowest paid welfare family would now have far more take-home income than the $60,000-a-year family.
    Best of all: being on welfare does not judge you if you are stupid enough not to take drugs all day, every day to make some sense out of this Mephistophelian tragicomedy known as living in the USA:
    Most private workplaces require drug testing, but there is no drug testing to get welfare checks.
    Alas, on America's way to to communist welfare, it has long since surpassed such bastions of capitalism as China:
    The welfare system in communist China is far stringier. Those people have to work to eat.
    We have been writing for over a year, how the very top of America's social order steals from the middle class each and every day. Now we finally know that the very bottom of the entitlement food chain also makes out like a bandit compared to that idiot American who actually works and pays their taxes. One can only also hope that in addition to seeing their disposable income be eaten away by a kleptocratic entitlement state, that the disappearing middle class is also selling off its weaponry. Because if it isn't, and if it finally decides it has had enough, the outcome will not be surprising at all: it will be the same old that has occurred in virtually every revolution in the history of the world to date.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post
    One can only also hope that in addition to seeing their disposable income be eaten away by a kleptocratic entitlement state, that the disappearing middle class is also selling off its weaponry. Because if it isn't, and if it finally decides it has had enough, the outcome will not be surprising at all: it will be the same old that has occurred in virtually every revolution in the history of the world to date.
    this thing kinda veers off the rails towards the end. middle class revolution? didn't they invent religion to prevent that? (I kid, I kid).

its true if you make 60k you get kinda boned compared to a poor drug user in Mississippi exploiting the crap out of the system.

but we've heard from many on this board how 250k isn't rich. and 60k is less than a quarter of that.

Why work? to make more than 60k.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    this thing kinda veers off the rails towards the end. middle class revolution? didn't they invent religion to prevent that? (I kid, I kid).

its true if you make 60k you get kinda boned compared to a poor drug user in Mississippi exploiting the crap out of the system.

but we've heard from many on this board how 250k isn't rich. and 60k is less than a quarter of that.

Why work? to make more than 60k.
    Do you work?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi$_I$l@nd View Post
    Do you work?
    LMFAO!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Hmmm. Interesting.

Still...I'd rather be a welfare queen than one of those p*ssies who make 250k a year and whine like a jilted prom date about how broke they are.

Wah. Wah. Wah.

Stupid poor people don't pay taxes. Wait. What's that? Bush and Republicans INCREASED the child tax credit so that poor dirtbags get more money? How is that possible? They love America and apple pie and jerk off to maps of the US and flags? WHY HAVE THEY FORSAKEN US!!! WAAAHHH!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Hmmm. Interesting.

Still...I'd rather be a welfare queen than one of those p*ssies who make 250k a year and whine like a jilted prom date about how broke they are.

Wah. Wah. Wah.

Stupid poor people don't pay taxes. Wait. What's that? Bush and Republicans INCREASED the child tax credit so that poor dirtbags get more money? How is that possible? They love America and apple pie and jerk off to maps of the US and flags? WHY HAVE THEY FORSAKEN US!!! WAAAHHH!!!

REPUBLICANS!!! NA!!!

GARBBLE!! WARRGARRBL!! NA! NA!! NA!!!! WARG!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    REPUBLICANS!!! NA!!!

GARBBLE!! WARRGARRBL!! NA! NA!! NA!!!! WARG!!!!!
    I KNOW!!

ARRRGGG!!! HOW COULD THEY MAKE THE PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE WHO DON'T PAY TAXES HIGHER?!?!? HOW COULD THEY DO THAT TO LADY LIBERTY?!? IT'S HORRIBLE!!!! ARRGGG!!! THE HUMANITY! THE HUMANITY!!

WHY HAS THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE WHO PAY NO FEDERAL INCOME TAX GONE DOWN SINCE 2008???? WHY?????

WHHHHYYYYYYY???????

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

I KNOW!!

ARRRGGG!!! HOW COULD THEY MAKE THE PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE WHO DON'T PAY TAXES HIGHER?!?!? HOW COULD THEY DO THAT TO LADY LIBERTY?!? IT'S HORRIBLE!!!! ARRGGG!!! THE HUMANITY! THE HUMANITY!!

WHY HAS THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE WHO PAY NO FEDERAL INCOME TAX GONE DOWN SINCE 2008???? WHY?????

WHHHHYYYYYYY???????
    As usual...those that contribute the least always seem to be the loudest.

Nothing new here........

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    As usual...those that contribute the least always seem to be the loudest.

Nothing new here........
    What exactly am I supposed to "contribute"? This is a pol forum on a football website...not the floor of the US Senate.

Sorry I don't live up to your expectations.....

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

What exactly am I supposed to "contribute"? This is a pol forum on a football website...not the floor of the US Senate.

Sorry I don't live up to your expectations.....
    I'm talking in terms of taxes.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Gonna say it again.

1. Flat Universal Tax Rate.

2. Assistance Programs desigend to get them OFF assitance. Not entitlements designed to incentivise staying on entitlements.

3. Make being on those assitance programs unpleasant, so people will want (and need) to get off them, to work hard, to do better.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    I'm talking in terms of taxes.
    Yeah. That's not my fault, bro. I didn't structure the tax code....at least as far as I remember.

I have contributed enough to public health and safety to make up for my lack of taxes. I may not pay taxes for you...but you won't get cholera and typhus because of non-tax paying jerks like myself

Oh. And see 'Fish's post. He mirrors what I think should be done. Just sayin....

Hall Of Fame
    Besides money if you are the head of a household with children work sets an example that has generational payback. Head of households that don't work are literally killing their young.