Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: L.A. looking for NFL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Is L.A. ready to lure an NFL team ? ? ?

Video : Is L.A. ready to lure an NFL team ?

> [url]http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/22154/video-is-l-a-ready-to-lure-an-nfl-team[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

L.A. looking for NFL

[url]http://min.scout.com/2/1027184.html[/url]

I would rather have Jacksonville go there than Minny. But how would the AFC picture play out then?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfanohio;3841140][url]http://min.scout.com/2/1027184.html[/url]

I would rather have Jacksonville go there than Minny. But how would the AFC picture play out then?[/QUOTE]

I dont know how that would work out, you would want them in the AFC West, but then who would you move to the AFC South? KC?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not surprising. L.A. is more known than Minnesota for it's Scandanavian roots.

:erm:

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    The NFL just doesn't get it. they'll go there again........and fail again.

The white wine spritzer fans out there are in love with the Dodgers and Lakers. There isn't any room for football in LA. Never will be.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;3841147]Not surprising. L.A. is more known than Minnesota for it's Scandanavian roots.

:erm:[/QUOTE]

Right cuz as we all know, LA is known for it's lakes. :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jags make the most sense since they put tarps in their upper deck to hide the empty seats.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Flagman5A;3841207]The Jags make the most sense since they put tarps in their upper deck to hide the empty seats.[/QUOTE]

I never understood why a team doesn't paint it's seats the different colors in it's color scheme...that way it'll look like it's full! :P

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3841212]I never understood why a team doesn't paint it's seats the different colors in it's color scheme...that way it'll look like it's full! :P[/QUOTE]

OR......the black tarps covering the seats make the stadium look smaller and filled:D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3841202]The NFL just doesn't get it. they'll go there again........and fail again.

The white wine spritzer fans out there are in love with the Dodgers and Lakers. There isn't any room for football in LA. Never will be.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The NFL hasnt been there in years. If there was such a big market, Im sure there would be a team there by now. L.A. is not into football.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfanohio;3841217]OR......the black tarps covering the seats make the stadium look smaller and filled:D[/QUOTE]

Black is slimming. :P

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3841221]Black is slimming. :P[/QUOTE]

That's why I like black! Big hips, sweet lips?.... wear black, works!:D
    Last edited by jetsfanohio; 12-01-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, there's simply no reason why the NFL shouldn't have a team in the second largest market in the US. There are LOTS of football fans in Southern California and a team with a new stadium would easily sell out every week.

The Rams sold out their games for 30 years, until they moved to Anaheim. The Raiders played in a literal ghetto. Like any other business, a football franchise has to be marketed correctly - a nice stadium, in an area that's easily accessible, with a well run team, would definitely be successful.

As far as the team, looks like it might be the Chargers:

[QUOTE]
    Report: Anschutz poised to buy 35 percent of Chargers
    Posted by Mike Florio on November 30, 2010, 10:29 PM EST

From an unlikely news outlet comes the latest development in the looming push to put an NFL team back in Los Angeles. Veteran Toronto-based sports personality Bob McCown of the Fan 590 reports that Philip Anschutz “has or will purchase” 35 percent of the Chargers.

McCown adds that the move “apparently” will be the first step in a move of the team to Los Angeles.

The report meshes with recent remarks from Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani, who attempted to throw water on a potential connection between an attempt to sell a chunk of the franchise and the rumors of a possible move of the team to L.A.

“We are concerned,” Fabiani told the San Diego Union-Tribune. “There’s been a confluence, a merging of several different stories, and we’re going to have to work hard to see that people know the real facts.”

But Fabiani added this little tidbit: “If AEG buys a piece of this team, then people have a right to be concerned.”

Anschutz is AEG, and if McCown’s report is accurate, it soon will be time for folks in San Diego to worry about their team moving back to the city where it played its first AFL season.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/30/report-anschutz-poised-to-by-35-percent-of-chargers/[/url]
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 12-01-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfanohio;3841220]L.A. is not into football.[/QUOTE]

Really? So the 85,000+ fans USC averages and the 81,000+ fans UCLA averages, even the 10,000 or so that used to go see the LA Avengers Arena team... not into football? Or the fact that every sports bar in town is packed on Sunday with fans cheering teams from all over the country?

Pro football would do fine here, and always has. The difference is, unlike Ohio we actually have other things to do besides watch football

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LAJET;3841351]Really? So the 85,000+ fans USC averages and the 81,000+ fans UCLA averages, even the 10,000 or so that used to go see the LA Avengers Arena team... not into football? Or the fact that every sports bar in town is packed on Sunday with fans cheering teams from all over the country?

Pro football would do fine here, and always has. The difference is, unlike Ohio we actually have other things to do besides watch football[/QUOTE]

Just curious from a Californians perspective, do you want a team in LA? It seems as if it has a good deal of support out there (was there in the summer) but that was a few months ago...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frankiepapa;3841361]Just curious from a Californians perspective, do you want a team in LA? It seems as if it has a good deal of support out there (was there in the summer) but that was a few months ago...[/QUOTE]

Being a Jets fan, I'm quite content with not having a team in LA. But, like much of the population out here - I'm a transplant. There are tons of NFL fans out here with allegiances to teams all across the country. Thus, I'm cynical as to how much Angelenos would embrace another team.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been in L.A. 37 years, so I think I know the town pretty well.

Can't count the number of afternoons I spent at the Coliseum, starting with Chuck Knox's Ram teams of the '70's. Was at the pre-season game in '77 when Namath was finished and basically lost the job to Pat Haden. Then went to see the Rams in Anaheim (I remember being at a playoff game there when Parcell's Giants beat them). Then the Raiders came to the Coliseum and I rooted against them I don't know how many times. I well remember sitting there that hot Saturday in Jan. '83 when we won and went on to Miami for the mud bowl.

Not to mention all the USC and UCLA games when they shared the Coliseum. After one of those games in the late '70's, Tim Rossovich, who came out of USC and was briefly a Pro Bowl linebacker for the Eagles (and by that time an actor) grabbed me by the collar at the 901 Club on South Figueroa, and basically threatened to kick the s**t out of me. Why? Because he overheard me mention Mike Battle's name. It's a long story. (For the younger people on the board Battle played with Rossovich at SC, Battle was with the Jets in '70, he took back a punt for a TD in the first Jets-Giants game, pre-season, played at the Yale Bowl).

Anyway, I digress, my point is that it's a good football town. Watch the Rose Bowl filled on New Years and tell me it's not.

What happened here is what the Vikings are now trying. It's called extortion. Millionaire owners want the public to chip in and build them stadiums, so they can make more millions.

Ironically, Walter O'Malley created this strategy when he told NYC that he was going to L.A. He tried to shake the city down for a ballpark, Robert Moses (and mayor Bob Wagner) said no.

He got what he wanted from L.A. In exchange for a run-down minor league park in a deteriorating neighborhood that he had bought (Wrigley Field, as in Chicago built by the chewing-gum heir), O'Malley received 400 acres of downtown Los Angeles. Plus the clearing out of the barrio called Chavez Ravine, working class Latinos who had been there for generations were displaced. Plus access roads, money to build his ballpark, and on and on.

So by the time the Rams threatened to leave town the city had learned its lesson (Geogria Rosenbloom had the team then, her husband Carroll had drowned in the surf off of Miami Beach in 1979, still rumored to be a mob hit. She inherited the club. Later she married the film composer Dominic Frontiere). Georgia tried to extort a new stadium, and the city said no. So she took the team to Anaheim, they remodeled the building for her, closed it in to make it a football stadium (it stayed that way until Michael Eisner/Disney bought the Angels and made it into the cute ballpark with the rocks/waterfall that you see today). Then in '95 Georgia left town anyway, because St. Louis offered her a better deal.

Same with Al Davis. He came to town and immediately wanted out of the Coliseum. The city told him to go to hell, if he wanted a new venue he could get out his checkbook. No public money. So he went back to Oakland, they offered him some kind of sweetheart deal.

The city did the same when Staples Center was built. They told the owners OK, but you pay for it. No public money. I have never been more proud of politicians.

What happened in NYC with the new ballparks is a disgrace. Sports teams generate relatively little income. Especially football stadiums. They are in use for a couple of hours for, what, 25-30 days a year, for a shared facility with two football teams, and some soccer games and the occasional rock concert? Very few good jobs there, what does a peanut vendor make?

For NYC to throw billions at the Yankees/Mets, a baseball bat should be taken to the skulls of Guiliani, Bloomberg and the other politicians who made it happen. Terrible use of public money.

So that's why we don't have an NFL team in L.A. The city said "NO PUBLIC MONEY!"

And the city is right.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Sacrilege.

The only team that belongs in LA is the Rams. I like what was done when the Browns moved to Baltimore. Move the business and change the name...I understand the value in the brand, but come on, the NFL is one big cartel with the tv rights being the largest source of revenue for all teams.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=riichkay;3841382]I've been in L.A. 37 years, so I think I know the town pretty well.

Can't count the number of afternoons I spent at the Coliseum, starting with Chuck Knox's Ram teams of the '70's. Was at the pre-season game in '77 when Namath was finished and basically lost the job to Pat Haden. Then went to see the Rams in Anaheim (I remember being at a playoff game there when Parcell's Giants beat them). Then the Raiders came to the Coliseum and I rooted against them I don't know how many times. I well remember sitting there that hot Saturday in Jan. '83 when we won and went on to Miami for the mud bowl.

Not to mention all the USC and UCLA games when they shared the Coliseum. After one of those games in the late '70's, Tim Rossovich, who came out of USC and was briefly a Pro Bowl linebacker for the Eagles (and by that time an actor) grabbed me by the collar at the 901 Club on South Figueroa, and basically threatened to kick the s**t out of me. Why? Because he overheard me mention Mike Battle's name. It's a long story. (For the younger people on the board Battle played with Rossovich at SC, Battle was with the Jets in '70, he took back a punt for a TD in the first Jets-Giants game, pre-season, played at the Yale Bowl).

Anyway, I digress, my point is that it's a good football town. Watch the Rose Bowl filled on New Years and tell me it's not.

What happened here is what the Vikings are now trying. It's called extortion. Millionaire owners want the public to chip in and build them stadiums, so they can make more millions.

Ironically, Walter O'Malley created this strategy when he told NYC that he was going to L.A. He tried to shake the city down for a ballpark, Robert Moses (and mayor Bob Wagner) said no.

He got what he wanted from L.A. In exchange for a run-down minor league park in a deteriorating neighborhood that he had bought (Wrigley Field, as in Chicago built by the chewing-gum heir), O'Malley received 400 acres of downtown Los Angeles. Plus the clearing out of the barrio called Chavez Ravine, working class Latinos who had been there for generations were displaced. Plus access roads, money to build his ballpark, and on and on.

So by the time the Rams threatened to leave town the city had learned its lesson (Geogria Rosenbloom had the team then, her husband Carroll had drowned in the surf off of Miami Beach in 1979, still rumored to be a mob hit. She inherited the club. Later she married the film composer Dominic Frontiere). Georgia tried to extort a new stadium, and the city said no. So she took the team to Anaheim, they remodeled the building for her, closed it in to make it a football stadium (it stayed that way until Michael Eisner/Disney bought the Angels and made it into the cute ballpark with the rocks/waterfall that you see today). Then in '95 Georgia left town anyway, because St. Louis offered her a better deal.

Same with Al Davis. He came to town and immediately wanted out of the Coliseum. The city told him to go to hell, if he wanted a new venue he could get out his checkbook. No public money. So he went back to Oakland, they offered him some kind of sweetheart deal.

The city did the same when Staples Center was built. They told the owners OK, but you pay for it. No public money. I have never been more proud of politicians.

What happened in NYC with the new ballparks is a disgrace. Sports teams generate relatively little income. Especially football stadiums. They are in use for a couple of hours for, what, 25-30 days a year, for a shared facility with two football teams, and some soccer games and the occasional rock concert? Very few good jobs there, what does a peanut vendor make?

For NYC to throw billions at the Yankees/Mets, a baseball bat should be taken to the skulls of Guiliani, Bloomberg and the other politicians who made it happen. Terrible use of public money.

So that's why we don't have an NFL team in L.A. The city said "NO PUBLIC MONEY!"

And the city is right.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you post here more often? That was one of the best pieces I've read on this forum.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parkwayjet1;3841410]Why don't you post here more often? That was one of the best pieces I've read on this forum.[/QUOTE]

I second that.