Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Qatar Wins World Cup Bid 2022

Hall Of Fame

Qatar Wins World Cup Bid 2022

WTF?

All Pro
    They bought it. Lots of brown envelopes in Zurich

All League
    This is the wrong type of football for this forum.

All Pro
    Their plan is so insane. They are going to build 10 brand new state of the art stadiums. Each are going to be fully air conditioned because its 120 degrees in June-July over there. After the games, they will have no use for the stadiums because they are only a country of 1.6 million people. So they plan to tear the stadiums down and literally send them to poorer countries. Oh yeah....no booze.

Im glad I got to make my point before the move.

All Pro
    Strange on the face of it, but the development argument is strong - their new stadiums will be temporary, and then dismantled and sent to developing nations to be re-assembled.

US didn't need the 2022 World Cup, England didn't need the 2018 World Cup - awarding the championships to countries where it will have a much greater and long-lasting impact is a smart move IMHO, although the Qatar decision is a shock.

US had the World Cup fairly recently. It's been longer for England, but they have actually hosted it. Better to give it to countries that haven't hosted it before.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Their plan is so insane. They are going to build 10 brand new state of the art stadiums. Each are going to be fully air conditioned because its 120 degrees in June-July over there. After the games, they will have no use for the stadiums because they are only a country of 1.6 million people. So they plan to tear the stadiums down and literally send them to poorer countries. Oh yeah....no booze.

Im glad I got to make my point before the move.
    That's hilarious!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Strange on the face of it, but the development argument is strong - their new stadiums will be temporary, and then dismantled and sent to developing nations to be re-assembled.

US didn't need the 2022 World Cup, England didn't need the 2018 World Cup - awarding the championships to countries where it will have a much greater and long-lasting impact is a smart move IMHO, although the Qatar decision is a shock.

US had the World Cup fairly recently. It's been longer for England, but they have actually hosted it. Better to give it to countries that haven't hosted it before.
    Should have given it to the Aussies then. They also kicked China 2026 in the balls by giving it to Qatar

To what end, I wonder? Maybe Sierra Leone will get to host the 2025 Super Bowl. Couldn't be that much worse than Jacksonville or Houston.

Hall Of Fame
    That rambling speech by the FIFA President sounded like Greg Buttle on the post-game show.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... who cares ?!? ... it's soccer ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    To what end, I wonder? Maybe Sierra Leone will get to host the 2025 Super Bowl. Couldn't be that much worse than Jacksonville or Houston.
    Football is huge in Africa for example, but many countries don't have good facilities. This way they will get a modern national stadium for free (or at least very cheap) as a legacy of the World Cup.

FIFA have to look at the big picture, in terms of development. Awarding the World Cup to England or the US would bring nothing in terms of development. That's why I like the decisions, although I am still shocked.

All Pro
    I really wanted Spain/Portugal to get 2018 btw. That would have been an excellent choice to attend.

Ill never be able to be convinced about Qatar. I think its a horrible choice and it isnt just a reactionary thought by me. Ive thought so since the first time I read their name attached to the games.
    Last edited by Bay Ridge Jet; 12-02-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Veteran
    Football is huge in Africa for example, but many countries don't have good facilities. This way they will get a modern national stadium for free (or at least very cheap) as a legacy of the World Cup.

FIFA have to look at the big picture, in terms of development. Awarding the World Cup to England or the US would bring nothing in terms of development. That's why I like the decisions, although I am still shocked.
    If they infact can give the stadiums to poorer nations, I have no problem with Qatar winning the bid. It would be great for the US to host, but I dont have a problem with helping out lesser nations.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    I really wanted Spain/Portugal to get 2018 btw. That would have been an excellent choice to attend.
    England in 2018 would have been great for me, but I can see why FIFA didn't go there - no development legacy, not a country that needs the World Cup, plus England has already hosted in 1966. Russia makes a lot more sense.

All League
    Build them, then break 'em down and send them to another country?

Good luck with that. Design loads for Qatar will be different than other countries. That's like taking a raised ranch from Ithaca and putting it in Miami. As soon as the first hurricane blows through, it's gone.

Personally, I was pulling for Spain/Portugal and Australia. I would have made an attempt to go to both of those. Russia? Meh. Qatar? **** no.

Enjoy the Sharia Law, FIFA.

All Pro
    England in 2018 would have been great for me, but I can see why FIFA didn't go there - no development legacy, not a country that needs the World Cup, plus England has already hosted in 1966. Russia makes a lot more sense.
    who is 2022 devloping the game for? Qatar? The Middle East itself?

China IMO is the one huge untapped market and that is what FIFA voters should have had in mind when they chose. Instead, they put it in the desert. I just dont see the logic. The plan to give countries new stadiums seems nice but who knows if that even comes to fruition/the costs alone have to be crazy even for their pockets. This isnt even sour grapes about it not being America. I figured Australia was a good choice.

Hall Of Fame
    From a player and fan standpoint there are great potential health hazards. The heat is a definite issue, could be a disaster waiting to happen.

Qatar has no soccer fanbase, oppressive weather, no current infrastructure, sits in a volatile region, and -- oh yeah -- outlaws the sale of alcohol.

Sounds like a great host.

Hall Of Fame
    Anyone else thinks this sets up well for the US in 2026?