Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Qatar Wins World Cup Bid 2022

FIFA is by far the most corrupt international organisation going around. Just a day after its been revealed that Russia is basically a mafia state, Russia wins the rights to host the World Cup! How much money went under the table one can only guess at.

I think its great the World Cup is going to the mid-east, but to a country of under 2 million people? WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    No soccer fan base? In Qatar? Really? The Arabs are f'n crazy about soccer so I don't where you got that idea from. Maybe Fox News has you thinking the #1 sport in the Middle East is camel racing or stoning women but it's actually soccer.
    Weren't you permabanned?

Veteran
    I actually find Americans saying that someone else - anyone else - should not host a WC because there is no local fan base absurdly ironic.

Yes Qatar is a small country and therefore they do not have millions of fans but almost all of the population is soccer mad. Which actually doesn't really matter because no matter where the WC is held most of the spectators will come from abroad anyway.

The only real problem with Qatar is the heat. I'm sorry but the "they don't sell alcohol" (false) and "they don't have enough people" arguements just sound like bitterness.

And both FIFA and Russia may be corrupt but Russia is a huge soccer nation by any standards and a bigger market than the US (when you consider that at most it will be %30 to %40 of the US population interested in soccer ever).

And most importantly for both; they are close to Europe with no real time difference. Fıfa's cash cow is the TV related revenues from Europe and it always will be. If the games are in the US europe has to get up in the middle of the night to watch, you think sponsors would pay top dollar for a 3 am spot?

Personally I wanted Qatar and Russia to win because of the time difference, so I'm happy.

That's fair, enough Turk - but I think its fairly obvious that the best bids didn't win. And I don't think Australia deserved to win it, so I do have some claim to impartiality.

These are some statements I've collected on the matter from posters on another forum:

"Heh.

Many of the allegations were familiar to me, but you're right - it is indeed a "different ball game" seeing them all together, in front of your eyes.

The tax exemption part is one that has always made me uncomfortable since I found out about it. Not only does it leave little behind to the native economy, but it also ensures that countries with functional tax structures are at a disadvantage to those countries where tax laws are easily skirted (read: Russia and Qatar). Since the latter are usually rife with corruption, it's a match made in heaven - today FIFA doubled down and awarded two World Cups to two dodgy tax regimes and doesn't have to leave **** all behind.

More taxes, Blatter would have to pay, if the victors were Holland, England, America and Spain, and therefore less black cars FIFA could buy, if not for today's two-for-one double payday.

Thank you Russia and Qatar."

"I would like to go on record with my congratulations to Qatar for becoming a nation that dreams big and has no problem being spit roasted on the international scene by any big organisation or government.

Kudos, Qatar, may your holes be violated on and off the pitch. For football!"

"I have actually more problem with Russia than Qatar.
    Racism and hooliganism all around in Russia.Safety,street gangs,thieves big concerns as well.
    Football clubs can't even sign black players becase of racism,money chants,banana throwings all around and
    FIFA rewards them by giving them the host nation,for god s sake.
    I don't think much will change in Russia in 12 years time,I'm sure Many African players will even
    boycott Russia an won't go there due to racism,won't be surprised.
    Imagina Russian fans watching Nigeria-ivory coast group match?"

"The bottom line is this - the english bid was the best. Highest ranked for security, profitabilty etc etc and yet we only mustered one vote effectively. And it's quite possible that in fact the one vote we did get was as a RESULT of the panaroma programme (proving a point or feeling guilty perhaps?).

I have no problem with FIFA's agenda to take the world cup to new frontiers if that's what they want to do but they should make that absolutely clear from the onset. Why even invite bids and waste everybody's time? It's quite clear that England were never even under serious consideration. The bidding process is shady at the best of times but this one has stunk on an epic scale."

"true, ben smith from the times tweeted this which i agree with:

bensmith_times
    Despite my disappointment I'd rather have a free press than stage a World Cup ... if that's the price you have to pay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_journalists_killed_in_Russia"

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    That's fair, enough Turk - but I think its fairly obvious that the best bids didn't win. And I don't think Australia deserved to win it, so I do have some claim to impartiality.
    Of course. The best bets rarely win in these things, the most politically correct usually do. I think that's what happened with Qatar.

I agree with the comment saying Russia is the bigger blunder. Racism, safety, logistics are all problems that are more relevant than Russia being corrupt. When has corruption ever stopped a sporting event from going anywhere?

If someone says FIFA should be reorganized top to bottom I'd agree. what I don't agree with is pointing to imaginary flaws or ignoring the advantages of other countries. From what I've read the US's bid was mostly "we have stadiums, we have money, and we have lots of people that currently don't like soccer who may or may not become consumers if you give us the games"

Stadiums and money bit can be said by both qatar and Russia. Being the big untapped market...Russia is a bigger untapped market that makes more sense because it already has the people ready to por money into futbol - it's just that they are still earning their money to spend whereas the US has a lot of consumers with moneyto spend but will never do so (on a european level) on Futbol.

And I actually also resent the notion that the biggest showcase of global soccer that's held every 4 years should be used as a marketing tool to grow soccer in America at the price of the biggest and richest fanbase of Soccer (europe) effectively watching the WC via highlights. I appriciate that its tough for the soccer fans in the US, I get it I'm a football fan in Turkey, but I don't expect the Super Bowl to come to europe just because we have stadiums, money and an "untapped market".

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Of course. The best bets rarely win in these things, the most politically correct usually do. I think that's what happened with Qatar.

I agree with the comment saying Russia is the bigger blunder. Racism, safety, logistics are all problems that are more relevant than Russia being corrupt. When has corruption ever stopped a sporting event from going anywhere?

If someone says FIFA should be reorganized top to bottom I'd agree. what I don't agree with is pointing to imaginary flaws or ignoring the advantages of other countries. From what I've read the US's bid was mostly "we have stadiums, we have money, and we have lots of people that currently don't like soccer who may or may not become consumers if you give us the games"

Stadiums and money bit can be said by both qatar and Russia. Being the big untapped market...Russia is a bigger untapped market that makes more sense because it already has the people ready to por money into futbol - it's just that they are still earning their money to spend whereas the US has a lot of consumers with moneyto spend but will never do so (on a european level) on Futbol.

And I actually also resent the notion that the biggest showcase of global soccer that's held every 4 years should be used as a marketing tool to grow soccer in America at the price of the biggest and richest fanbase of Soccer (europe) effectively watching the WC via highlights. I appriciate that its tough for the soccer fans in the US, I get it I'm a football fan in Turkey, but I don't expect the Super Bowl to come to europe just because we have stadiums, money and an "untapped market".
    Why were the best European bids ignored then? England had a great bid that worked on every level, but only garnered two votes? WTF? Russia only won because they paid FIFA off under the table - that is obvious. It's great the winning bids work for you in terms of time zones etc, but the result only proves FIFA is a corrupt as buggery.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    Why were the best European bids ignored then? England had a great bid that worked on every level, but only garnered two votes? WTF? Russia only won because they paid FIFA off under the table - that is obvious. It's great the winning bids work for you in terms of time zones etc, but the result only proves FIFA is a corrupt as buggery.
    I'm not sure what exactly is meant by Fifa being corrupt. It's not a governmental body, it doesn't use public funds, in essence its like a private enterprise marketing its showcase event. So yes I do believe that Fifa officials take money from candidate countries but I'm not sure that this should be regarded as bribing a government official. That's what I understand as corruption.

Then again it's most likely I'm in the wrong on this one after all I'm Turkish we do not have the natural aversion to bahsis that you anglo-saxons do

I didn't have any preferance between the european bids to be honest. I couldn't care less, as long as its 2-3 hours within Turkey I'm good.

But FWIW the most glaring difference between Russia and England is that one has never hosted the event whilst the other has. And hooliganism, racism etc admittedly at lesser level than Russia, is not a thing of the past in England either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I actually find Americans saying that someone else - anyone else - should not host a WC because there is no local fan base absurdly ironic.

Yes Qatar is a small country and therefore they do not have millions of fans but almost all of the population is soccer mad. Which actually doesn't really matter because no matter where the WC is held most of the spectators will come from abroad anyway.

The only real problem with Qatar is the heat. I'm sorry but the "they don't sell alcohol" (false) and "they don't have enough people" arguements just sound like bitterness.

And both FIFA and Russia may be corrupt but Russia is a huge soccer nation by any standards and a bigger market than the US (when you consider that at most it will be %30 to %40 of the US population interested in soccer ever).

And most importantly for both; they are close to Europe with no real time difference. Fıfa's cash cow is the TV related revenues from Europe and it always will be. If the games are in the US europe has to get up in the middle of the night to watch, you think sponsors would pay top dollar for a 3 am spot?

Personally I wanted Qatar and Russia to win because of the time difference, so I'm happy.
    That may all be true but none of it puts 2022 in the US now does it?!?!

Mehh..if corruption and payoffs is the name of the game then the US could have ponied up just like anyone else. Would have reaaallly been happy to see a few matches in Atlanta though.

While we're on the subject, any WC thread w/o a football player reference would be incomplete. So, here's my offering:

Ndamukong Suh was said to be a pretty good soccer player before putting on shoulder pads. He attributes his agility/quickness/footwork to his soccer play. Oh, the possibilities. He evidently can't kick FGs for **** though.

Qatar was awarded the WC because the committee felt it would help improve a region "ravaged by conflict". Ha! Yeah, that's where I want to bring the family! Also, No booze, 120 degree temps and $41B spent to build the stadiums. This one reeks of a very large payoff.

If FIFA wants soccer to grow it needs to be in the USA.

They say the country is so small that the stadiums will be a few miles apart. How will the teams practice during the day if it is 120 degrees, are they going to make a/c practice fields?

This is a muslim country and they will allow beer to be sold in the stadiums but will the Brazillian woman be told to be covered up at the games too?

Quote Originally Posted by terrapinct View Post
    Qatar was awarded the WC because the committee felt it would help improve a region "ravaged by conflict". Ha! Yeah, that's where I want to bring the family! Also, No booze, 120 degree temps and $41B spent to build the stadiums. This one reeks of a very large payoff.

If FIFA wants soccer to grow it needs to be in the USA.
    Pfft. You can't actually believe that. Qatar bribed the best. There's no logical reason to put the World Cup there. Especially when you consider that this decision means that the two largest growth nations, China (early favorites for 2026 before the vote) and India, are effectively out of the running for a World Cup until 2034.

The US should be a heavy favorite for 2026, though (Though, I could see a Joint US/Canada or US/Mexico bid).
    Seeing as Europe and Asia will be out, Uruguay is the logical choice for 2030 (original world cup in 1930, in Uruguay), and North America being the only continent (Other than Oceania, which for this argument is only New Zealand) not to host a WC since 2010 (2010: Africa, 2014: South America, 2018: Europe, 2022: Asia), and the previous 3 world cups were in Europe (Germany), Asia (South Korea/Japan), and Europe again (France).

I'm sure the World Cup will be fine. But seeing how the US has been the #1 buyers of World Cup tickets in recent years, I think that it'll be interesting to see how many open seats there will be.

People can claim SA was a big success, but there were MANY games with tons of empty seats, not very impressive, something that did not happen in the US or Europe. I don't see that being better in Qatar, then again, who knows what the world will be like in a dozen years.

All League
    This is Bull it needs to be in the US least its safe here