View Poll Results: Is Racial Profiling Sometimes Justified ??

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 100.00%
  • No

0 0%

Thread: Is Racial Profiling Sometimes Justified ??

All Pro

Is Racial Profiling Sometimes Justified ??

In the wake of a livery cab driver shooting this weekend in New York City, the head of the state’s Taxi federation is encouraging drivers to profile passengers, especially blacks and Hispanics.

“Profile your passengers, it’s very important,” Fernando Mateo, president of the New York State Federation of Taxi Drivers, said yesterday. “I don’t care about racial profiling. You know sometimes it‘s good that we are racially profiled because the God’s-honest truth is that 99 percent of the people that are robbing, stealing, killing these drivers are blacks and Hispanics. So if you see suspicious activity, you know what, don’t pick the person up.”

Mateo, who is Hispanic, made the comments at a news conference updating the condition of Trevor Bell, the livery cab driver who was shot six times by a passenger on Friday night. Bell remains in critical but stable condition as a result of the attack.

Police are looking for the assailant and have released video of him moments before he pulled the trigger. The gun can be seen in his right hand:

Mateo’s comments are especially relevant as the TSA faces controversy over its new screening procedures. Some have said that profiling could be an effective way to minimize invasive searches and increase security. Such a process has been used successfully by Israeli airline El Al.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEc1S...layer_embedded

JetsInsider.com Legend
    "Racial"? No.

Profiling, however, is ALWAYS justified IMO.

Statistics and odds have no race.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I would suggest that Mateo should have called it "punk-ass, mo-fo, gangsta" profiling.

I don't care what color you someone is, if they are between the ages of 16-36 and dressed like that - just don't let them in the cab. Period.

Take race out of the equation.

Hall Of Fame
    Yes.

Airline security is a big area that it NEEDS to be done. Sorry people of middle eastern descent...

Hall Of Fame
    Racial profiling should be limited to Caucasians.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    “There is nothing more painful for me at this stage in my life,” Jesse Jackson said several years ago, “than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery—and then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

JetsInsider.com Legend
    forget justified... the question we should be asking "is it effective"

maybe for a cabbie it is but for a government trying to stop terrorism, all racial profiling does is provide a road map to get through the system. If for example it becomes known they aren't looking for blond women, there will be a blond woman terrorist.

It's likely some will say im a liberal biased blah blah blah... but ask any security expert they will tell you about the effectiveness of profiling. Or just look it up. There's no proof it's an effective tactic, in fact there's alot of evidence to the contrary.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    “There is nothing more painful for me at this stage in my life,” Jesse Jackson said several years ago, “than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery—and then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”
    See my signature.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    The FBI begs to differ. Pure RACIAL profiling, no. But Profiling in a more generalized manner, based on reason, logic and statistics? Absolutely it works.

By the way Bit, what race would one profile in workign against terrorism anyway? Seems a moot point to ask about racial profiling for an issue that is not related to a specific race, doesn't it? Clearly a case where general profiling is appropriate however.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    See my signature.
    Props, my bad for not attributing it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    The FBI begs to differ. Pure RACIAL profiling, no. But Profiling in a more generalized manner, based on reason, logic and statistics? Absolutely it works.
    the thread title doesn't specify "reason, logic, and statistical profiling"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    the thread title doesn't specify "reason, logic, and statistical profiling"
    It also didn't touch on terrorism or national security, but you addressed that.

I support Profiling. Like most things, it's just a tool, and can be used right, or used wrong, depending on the user.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    i agree with that but if the bad guys (terrorists or criminals) know there is a racial profile, they will find ways around it. It's a tool but can lead to laziness.

All League
    forget justified... the question we should be asking "is it effective"

maybe for a cabbie it is but for a government trying to stop terrorism, all racial profiling does is provide a road map to get through the system. If for example it becomes known they aren't looking for blond women, there will be a blond woman terrorist.

It's likely some will say im a liberal biased blah blah blah... but ask any security expert they will tell you about the effectiveness of profiling. Or just look it up. There's no proof it's an effective tactic, in fact there's alot of evidence to the contrary.

the "stop & frisks" of nyc gangsta lookin thug a$$ homies sure as sh*t worked...ask any cop- unfortunately they cant do it to the extent they were due to liberal p*ssies

Banned
    i agree with that but if the bad guys (terrorists or criminals) know there is a racial profile, they will find ways around it. It's a tool but can lead to laziness.
    It's a lot tougher to find an extremist Muslim who isn't a male between the ages of 18-35...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    "Racial"? No.

Profiling, however, is ALWAYS justified IMO.

Statistics and odds have no race.
    This

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Whatever someone has to do, do it, please beat people behind closed doors though.