Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: We have to address the front seven in Round 1

  1. #21
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Good players, but future stars? Unlikely.
    I guess you haven't seen too many Raider games. If there is a Defensiveline(front four) playing as well as the raiders front four, i want to know. (Houston, Kelly, Seymour and Shaughnessy) L Houston gets better every week and he consistantly making big plays.(everyone says kid going to be special) Matt Shaughnessy is one of the most underrated Dlineman out there. He one of the best allround Des out there. (where he can play the run as well as rush the passer) That kid is allready good and will get alot better as time goes by. Reminds alot of people of a young smaller Richard Seymour.) All he need is time to establish his name.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 12-23-2010 at 06:02 AM.

  2. #22
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    709
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are the Jets a strict 3-4 defense? It seems like we have two very good defensive tackles in Devito and Pouha. Keep big cat and Jason Taylor for one for year. Kiss bryan Thomas' sorry ass good bye and draft an OLB or a DE.
    Thoughts?

  3. #23
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,752
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bryan Thomas has had a pretty good season. If there's anybody I wouldn't mind going, it's Pace. I know he started off the year injured, but he really has taken a step back.

  4. #24
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,866
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy I think that fits us the best is Ryan Kerrigan. 6'4 260 lbs, high motor, great pass rusher and has the ability to play a hybrid 3-4 OLB/DE type position. Exactly the type of guy we need for our defense. Also a high character guy who was his team captain.

    IMO Heyward isnt someone that we need to focus on....our front 7 lacks speed and explosiveness specifically rushing the passer, and he brings neither of those things.

    I also am not a fan of recent ohio state players in the nfl, specifically on defense. AJ Hawk, bobby carpenter, gholston obviously, etc just have not justified their draft position. Only Laurinitis really has been a solid player at this point.

  5. #25
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    I guess you haven't seen too many Raider games. If there is a Defensiveline(front four) playing as well as the raiders front four, i want to know. (Houston, Kelly, Seymour and Shaughnessy) L Houston gets better every week and he consistantly making big plays.(everyone says kid going to be special) Matt Shaughnessy is one of the most underrated Dlineman out there. He one of the best allround Des out there. (where he can play the run as well as rush the passer) That kid is allready good and will get alot better as time goes by. Reminds alot of people of a young smaller Richard Seymour.) All he need is time to establish his name.
    Richard Seymour is a star talent, a HOF, and in the conversation for GOAT at the 3-4 DE position he used to play.

    Everyone else is playing up because they have that guy.

  6. #26
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,588
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seymour is also a FA and if tagged again will cost about 18 mill to sign for next year. Henderson is also a FA.

  7. #27
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Seymour is also a FA and if tagged again will cost about 18 mill to sign for next year. Henderson is also a FA.
    As good as Seymour been as 3-4 de. He been way better as a 4-3 DT. Seymour isn't going anywhere. (Raiders gave up 2011 first round pick for him) He will be franchised or sign a longterm deal with raiders. ( loves the youth on Dline + where this team is heading)

    John Henderson might be back or not. Hes strictly a run stuffer at this point.

    BTw NO first rounder (money you would pay for one) plus a very very very young roster= Raiders can easily keep Asomugha(Qb money) and R Seymour
    Last edited by Raider9175; 12-24-2010 at 06:11 AM.

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,588
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    As good as Seymour been as 3-4 de. He been way better as a 4-3 DT. Seymour isn't going anywhere. (Raiders gave up 2011 first round pick for him) He will be franchised or sign a longterm deal with raiders. ( loves the youth on Dline + where this team is heading)

    John Henderson might be back or not. Hes strictly a run stuffer at this point.

    BTw NO first rounder (money you would pay for one) plus a very very very young roster= Raiders can easily keep Asomugha(Qb money) and R Seymour
    please explain by not having a mid first rd pick that gets paid about 2 mill a year allow you to keep two players making 18 mill each? The raiders lucked out this year when there was no cap and they were able to keep seymour by tagging him, next year there will be a cap and his salary goes up another 20%. With a 130 mill cap you will have Seymour and Aso making 1/4 of the entire cap.

  9. #29
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure how this thread went from being about the Jets front 7 on a Jets draft forum to a compenduim on the Raiders front 7 but such is life.

  10. #30
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Not sure how this thread went from being about the Jets front 7 on a Jets draft forum to a compenduim on the Raiders front 7 but such is life.
    Raiders DL is super great awesome powerful time!

  11. #31
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,408
    Post Thanks / Like
    What do folks think about Phil Taylor, dt, baylor ? Seems to be a high riser dt. Anybody seen him play?

  12. #32
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,474
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    What do folks think about Phil Taylor, dt, baylor ? Seems to be a high riser dt. Anybody seen him play?
    CBNY commented on him a while back when I asked how the bigman was doing. IIRC he said he was staying in much better shape and could rise. All that said he still is in the middle rounds 3-4-5 depending on how his game tape looks this year. I really hope he doesn't pull what Raji did to me a couple years back and go from a mid 2nd round prospect to a top 5 pick. I was like "I found him first!!! Motherf*ckasssss!!!!". Sigh so sad lol

  13. #33
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,474
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    I guess you haven't seen too many Raider games. If there is a Defensiveline(front four) playing as well as the raiders front four, i want to know. (Houston, Kelly, Seymour and Shaughnessy) L Houston gets better every week and he consistantly making big plays.(everyone says kid going to be special) Matt Shaughnessy is one of the most underrated Dlineman out there. He one of the best allround Des out there. (where he can play the run as well as rush the passer) That kid is allready good and will get alot better as time goes by. Reminds alot of people of a young smaller Richard Seymour.) All he need is time to establish his name.

  14. #34
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    CBNY commented on him a while back when I asked how the bigman was doing. IIRC he said he was staying in much better shape and could rise. All that said he still is in the middle rounds 3-4-5 depending on how his game tape looks this year. I really hope he doesn't pull what Raji did to me a couple years back and go from a mid 2nd round prospect to a top 5 pick. I was like "I found him first!!! Motherf*ckasssss!!!!". Sigh so sad lol
    Appreciate the feedback. I'm really looking forward to watching him play in the bowl game. While our NT rotation this year has been good....it has been far from dominant. Having a force like that in the middle would go a long way to freeing up the rest of our pass rush.

  15. #35
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    What do folks think about Phil Taylor, dt, baylor ? Seems to be a high riser dt. Anybody seen him play?
    Would have done better for himself coming out last year...at least he stood out amongst the rabble....this year there's Powe, Ellis, Whitlock, and basically a few other NT propsects to notice.

    Speaking of which...CBNY I'm unnaturally high on Colby Whitlock...how will that pay off? I still see him going 5-7 to UDFA, but I thik he's Kelly Gregg 2.0.

  16. #36
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,548
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today is just further evidence.

    This team needs a consistent passrush in the worst way.

  17. #37
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,522
    Post Thanks / Like
    As if we needed any more evidence... all those teams carving up our defense hopefully forces the front office's hand...

  18. #38
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,474
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also I think this game should make our FO's job easier. I think the only receiver I feel we need to have is Edwards. Cro also will not be getting shutdown money, tho he is good and we should try to keep him. Harris may not be worth the kind of money he will get. He is a north-south line backer with very little side to side speed at all. This FA class is looking good we might wanna think twice before marrying ourselves to the current players.

  19. #39
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Also I think this game should make our FO's job easier. I think the only receiver I feel we need to have is Edwards. Cro also will not be getting shutdown money, tho he is good and we should try to keep him. Harris may not be worth the kind of money he will get. He is a north-south line backer with very little side to side speed at all. This FA class is looking good we might wanna think twice before marrying ourselves to the current players.
    Edwards and Cro are also leading my "must resign" list. Harris will make too much money to actually keep, and Holmes is the "might" guy.

    FA wish list:

    Edwards
    Cromartie
    Lawson
    Senaca Wallce - If he comes cheap enough. Jim Sorgi would be cool too.
    Rosario - TE from Panthers who could possibly pull a Shiancoe.
    Ndukwe - Big Bengals SS type with decent range.

    Long list of guys we won't sign...well maybe 2 of them.

  20. #40
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,548
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Edwards and Cro are also leading my "must resign" list. Harris will make too much money to actually keep, and Holmes is the "might" guy.

    FA wish list:

    Edwards
    Cromartie
    Lawson
    Senaca Wallce - If he comes cheap enough. Jim Sorgi would be cool too.
    Rosario - TE from Panthers who could possibly pull a Shiancoe.
    Ndukwe - Big Bengals SS type with decent range.

    Long list of guys we won't sign...well maybe 2 of them.
    Manny Lawson is someone I would love to add. He may not be a double digit sack artist, but he's fast as hell and very good in coverage. Speed and coverage ability, two things that are seriously lacking in our LB corps.

    I think you have to re-sign both Braylon and Holmes. I'd really hate to choose one over the other. It doesn't exactly hurt to surround your young QB with as many weapons as possible.

    Harris is probably the odd man out. Hate to say it but it's the truth. Although I'm not exactly as cuckoo over Cromartie as everyone else is. He's a good player, but he'll give up his share of big plays and commits way too many damn penalties.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us