Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We have to address the front seven in Round 1

Jets Insider VIP

We have to address the front seven in Round 1

Seriously, this is probably 2-3 years overdue.

Be it a 3-4 end, a space eating NT like Jerrell Powe, or a passrushing OLB. We have to get better at getting after the QB and stopping the run on a more consistent basis.

I know a lot of you guys think a rangy FS in the center of the field is a big need, as do I, but I wouldn't touch any safety before the 3rd round and even then the only guys I care for are Deunta Williams and Gilchrist.

The bottom of round 1 should turn out to be the hot spot for the DL prospects and passrushers. Cameron Jordan, Christian Ballard, Jerrell Powe, Jeremy Beal, Von Miller...all guys I would love to add.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Seriously, this is probably 2-3 years overdue.

Be it a 3-4 end, a space eating NT like Jerrell Powe, or a passrushing OLB. We have to get better at getting after the QB and stopping the run on a more consistent basis.

I know a lot of you guys think a rangy FS in the center of the field is a big need, as do I, but I wouldn't touch any safety before the 3rd round and even then the only guys I care for are Deunta Williams and Gilchrist.

The bottom of round 1 should turn out to be the hot spot for the DL prospects and passrushers. Cameron Jordan, Christian Ballard, Jerrell Powe, Jeremy Beal, Von Miller...all guys I would love to add.

Thoughts?
    I'd take jordan if he fell that far. It's also possible that bailey might still be around. Powe I am not sure, from what I have heard he has been not so hot this year. Granted they are trying to turn him into a 4-3 3tech which is just stupid so that might be the reason. Whatever we do the first two picks should be DL, OLB. I prefer DL because we are very mediocre there. Every great defense has had at least one dominant,elite lineman if not two.

cameron jordan is like a better Chris long i doubt he's even close to where the Jets pick. Nick Fairley also should be long gone.

but I do agree 3-4 DE is a target and this is the year to do it. Cameron Heyward or Adrian Clayborn would be ideal Jets draft picks (historically speaking they love the big 10). marcel Dareus or JJ watt could be good picks if they declare.

I would caution however that only bad teams look to fix their immediate problems through the draft. defensive line especially is a 3 to 5 year project. The guys who come in and are instantly good take a Suh or mario williams type of selection.

All Pro
    Do you think that Clayborn really can be a 3-4 DE?! I know we run more like a hybrid but he to me seems like a clear cut 4-3 end...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Do you think that Clayborn really can be a 3-4 DE?! I know we run more like a hybrid but he to me seems like a clear cut 4-3 end...
    there's no way Clayborn is a 3-4 end....he's been doubled all year and his numbers have gone in the sh!tter...

I'm a big fan of Beal or Heyward...I'd accept Ballard or Guy...Beal isn't a 3-4 DL but he's the best OLB prospect IMO...especially since Rex likes size.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    there's no way Clayborn is a 3-4 end....he's been doubled all year and his numbers have gone in the sh!tter...
    Just what I was thinking... I also think Ballard is too small to effectively play as a 3-4 DE. I rather have Cameron Jordan.

All Pro
    Yeah, it's long overdue. Looks like the current collection of players are way over the hill.

I'd like to see them get a high-end athlete for the DL. We have some nice players who get by on effort, but there's not one GREAT athlete in the bunch. Someone like Allen Bailey can be a real asset in Rex's scheme.

Jets Insider VIP
    J.J. Watt is a guy who has a lot of talent, but I can't tell if he's more Aaron Smith or more Adam Carriker.

Still a solid choice towards the end of round 1.

they say Cameron Heyward is falling... im not sure exactly why but if he's on the board when the Jets pick thats an easy no brainer pick for the Jets. The scouting staff loves Ohio State ( besides gholston, don't forget mangold) and Heyward has NFL bloodlines. I personally think he'd be a steal in the late first.

from sporting news

On the decline

2. Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
    Heyward, the son of former NFL running back Craig "Ironhead" Heyward, was expected to challenge for a high first-round pick, but his play slipped significantly as a senior. He could well fall into the second round.
    Heyward (6-5, 280) is a well built and athletic end who flashed the ability to play strong at the point of attack agaisnt run blocks and as a bull rusher, but far too often as a senior he had minimal impact on games. At times, he was pushed around against the run.
    He never was viewed as an impact pass rusher, but as a junior he showed a decent job of driving blockers into the pocket to disrupt the quarterback's timing. This year, he struggled vs. the better offensive tackles.
    Heyward still is a big, strong and athletic end, but his play as a senior has caused his stock to drop. He now likely will be drafted between No. 25 overall and No. 45.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed...p-draft-boards

I'd take them as follows (knocking out guys like Fairley who will just never ever reach us):

Jordan
    Bailey
    Heyward
    Watt

I want no part of Clayborn and to me Heyward is an overlap of what we already have: stuffs the run, has trouble collapsing the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    they say Cameron Heyward is falling... im not sure exactly why but if he's on the board when the Jets pick thats an easy no brainer pick for the Jets. The scouting staff loves Ohio State ( besides gholston, don't forget mangold) and Heyward has NFL bloodlines. I personally think he'd be a steal in the late first.

from sporting news

Been noticing it too...more a case of SNTS than anything else...I don't actually buy that there's a better 3-4 DE prospect in the draft and he's one of the very few guys versatile enough to play anywhere on the DL.

He'll be back on everyone's radar come Bowl season...and if not then combine...Heyward's one of the guys in this draft I'm sure of...it's really hard to knock a 4 year starter from a major program with prototype size and skills, bloodlines, and no real questions of motor or character.

Also, Allen Bailey is the most overrated player in this draft...Vernon Gholston 2.0...by that I mean he's a project...major project.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 12-08-2010 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Also, Allen Bailey is the most overrated player in this draft...Vernon Gholston 2.0...by that I mean he's a project...major project.
    Hmmm idk I honestly think Gholston may have been on roids in college. It's seriously the only explanation I can find for him lookin as ridiculous as he did and then being pretty much a scrub in the NFL. I think Bailey would be really good in Rex's system.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Hmmm idk I honestly think Gholston may have been on roids in college. It's seriously the only explanation I can find for him lookin as ridiculous as he did and then being pretty much a scrub in the NFL. I think Bailey would be really good in Rex's system.
    It's possible the whole Gholston steroids thing...maybe.

Bailey is just a raw talent when the DL is calling for a plug and go type talent. It's not that I don't like him as a prospect, I just think he'll be more valuable during his 2nd contract than his first. The guy grew up in a swamp in a shanty town with maybe 100 other people...to go from that to NY so young...especially since he's more raw than not...not the kind of guy I want to take this year...maybe a couple years ago when our starters were still young-ish.

Heyward's game reminds me of Seymour. Seymour's a HOF, so maybe I should hope for Ty Warren, but I love the upside with this guy. I was suprised to find out he can anchor really well at DT considering he's athletic enough to kick outside to DE. Not much that separates him from Ballard or Guy two other DL prospects I'm really high on, but enough that I think I notice it.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 12-08-2010 at 09:35 PM.

I know Bailey is a bit raw, but we need speed and athleticism so badly at this point....

Unfortuantely its very hard to project the athletic type DEs...not only did we miss on Gholston, but harvey went right after him and has been a bust, as has the other Florida DE that Denver took.

That being said, every time I watch Pierre-Paul though, who was as raw as they come, the more I think we need to take a shot on another guy that can be an edge rusher and get us some speed on our defense.

I think we need to address OLB, FS, and DL in that order. We should also draft a speedy ILB as well as another OLB.

1) Jeremy Beal OLB
    2) DeAndre McDaniel FS

Would be an awesome first 2 picks. Then go DE, NT, ILB, OLB. Completely rebuilds the defense.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I know Bailey is a bit raw, but we need speed and athleticism so badly at this point....

Unfortuantely its very hard to project the athletic type DEs...not only did we miss on Gholston, but harvey went right after him and has been a bust, as has the other Florida DE that Denver took.

That being said, every time I watch Pierre-Paul though, who was as raw as they come, the more I think we need to take a shot on another guy that can be an edge rusher and get us some speed on our defense.
    I agree and Bailey comes from a program with a great NFL pedigree.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    J.J. Watt is a guy who has a lot of talent, but I can't tell if he's more Aaron Smith or more Adam Carriker.

Still a solid choice towards the end of round 1.
    I just saw this topic and instantly thought of JJ Watt.
    Spealing of Wisconsin, we might as well give Nick Toon a look.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    cameron jordan is like a better Chris long i doubt he's even close to where the Jets pick. Nick Fairley also should be long gone.

but I do agree 3-4 DE is a target and this is the year to do it. Cameron Heyward or Adrian Clayborn would be ideal Jets draft picks (historically speaking they love the big 10). marcel Dareus or JJ watt could be good picks if they declare.

I would caution however that only bad teams look to fix their immediate problems through the draft. defensive line especially is a 3 to 5 year project. The guys who come in and are instantly good take a Suh or mario williams type of selection.
    Well Bit, Raiders proved thats not always the case with Dlineman.
    Lamarr Houston (Raiders 2nd Rd De has had an excellent rookie year at De. The sky the limit how good that kid can become. Their other De is matt shaughnessy a second year De(third round) who is an allround DE - can rush the passer as well as play the run. Shaunhesssy could be a perenial probowl player in the very near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Well Bit, Raiders proved thats not always the case with Dlineman.
    Lamarr Houston (Raiders 2nd Rd De has had an excellent rookie year at De. The sky the limit how good that kid can become. Their other De is matt shaughnessy a second year De(third round) who is an allround DE - can rush the passer as well as play the run. Shaunhesssy could be a perenial probowl player in the very near future.
    Good players, but future stars? Unlikely.