Thread: Baldwin entering the draft...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Baldwin entering the draft...

not going to go as early as he thinks...

All Pro
    Still a 1st rounder though, right?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Still a 1st rounder though, right?
    late first...

i dont think he sniffs the first, besides his personality problems (big mouth) he doesn't have the production to justify that pick. He'd have to run like a demon.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i dont think he sniffs the first, besides his personality problems (big mouth) he doesn't have the production to justify that pick. He'd have to run like a demon.
    This plus he's just not polished enough...I'd draft Green, Jones, Blackmon, Floyd, and possibly even one of Broyles/Young/Posey over him...

That said, he's still got the upside of a Plaxico Burress type...I could see him going anywhere from the late first to the early 3rd.

The lack of production should not be held against him, his qb sucked at getting him the ball.

Where he will be taken is determined by what team needs his skill set,

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The lack of production should not be held against him, his qb sucked at getting him the ball.

Where he will be taken is determined by what team needs his skill set,
    lack of production knocked him out of the top 15....

the same people complaining about baldwin's lack of production want adrian clayborn for the jets, who's production went in the sh!tter this season....

the Jets front office would rather put needles in their eyes than draft a WR with a round 1 or 2 pick. whens the last time it happened, santana moss?

the Jets front office would rather put needles in their eyes than draft a WR with a round 1 or 2 pick. whens the last time it happened, santana moss?
    I'm not saying you're wrong...but you do this to almost every position...what position is OK to draft in round 1?

If Jones or Green fell to our pick...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    late first...
    huh. Late first is exactly where he's always thought to be going.

Production? Gimme a break. Anyone who's watched PIT this year should be in awe that Baldwin's done as much as he has.

He'll be the 3rd/4th WR off the board, potentially even the 2nd. His measurables and size are too eyepoping to pass over. Coaches and Coordinators who've had to gamplan against 6'5 WR will not pass on him so quickly.

So far in the last 2 years, all i've seen you do the majority of the time is talk about why somebody sucks or why he isn't as good as ppl think. (kind of a theme with you in general).

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    I'm not saying you're wrong...but you do this to almost every position...what position is OK to draft in round 1?

If Jones or Green fell to our pick...
    i think its' kind of comical that anyone that is not inside an organization would make the broad statement that team "ABC" will not draft a player at postion "DEF" with a choice in rounds 1/2....

i think its' kind of comical that anyone that is not inside an organization would make the broad statement that team "ABC" will not draft a player at postion "DEF" with a choice in rounds 1/2....
    Agree... Personally I'd be against drafting just about any running back, just because I think they are so available. That's just me though...

WR I would be down with taking philosophically. Not my perfect scenario, but I'd do it.

OT, CB, OLB, DL, QB
    Those are probably my personal optimal positions. NOrmally not corner, but under Rex, yes. A couple other positions are slight notches below that like MLB and TE, but I can think of reasons to avoid them in the 1st.

Also agree that Baldwin is a late first. He doesn't get as good a separation as you'd like though. He's straight ahead fast, and he finds the ball EXTREMELY well. He's almost like Fitzgerald in how he can find the ball and go get it. The problem though is that he's not as quick enough in and out of his breaks or has as good of hips. I do think he could run a good straight ahead time. I'd just be shocked if he puts up any type of decent 3 cone or shuttle.

AJ Green is the best receiver imo... Basically Santonio Holmes all over again. Great athleticism, even better size, and the quickness/speed is fantastic.

Julio and Baldwin both have questions imo... Still don't feel like I have a great handle on Julio so I'm gonna have to go back and watch some games.
    Last edited by jetsfan1983; 12-10-2010 at 04:02 PM.

OLB is at the top of my wish list though I would still pick a number of other positions if the value is just too good.

We desperately need a guy that can rush the passer without the help of some exotic blitz scheme. (Friggin Gholston ) I've said it before, a really good pass rusher can improve your whole defensive backfield.

The last good year we had out of john Abrahman made a suspect secondary and CB's look good.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Agree... Personally I'd be against drafting just about any running back, just because I think they are so available. That's just me though...

WR I would be down with taking philosophically. Not my perfect scenario, but I'd do it.

OT, CB, OLB, DL, QB
    Those are probably my personal optimal positions. NOrmally not corner, but under Rex, yes. A couple other positions are slight notches below that like MLB and TE, but I can think of reasons to avoid them in the 1st.

Also agree that Baldwin is a late first. He doesn't get as good a separation as you'd like though. He's straight ahead fast, and he finds the ball EXTREMELY well. He's almost like Fitzgerald in how he can find the ball and go get it. The problem though is that he's not as quick enough in and out of his breaks or has as good of hips. I do think he could run a good straight ahead time. I'd just be shocked if he puts up any type of decent 3 cone or shuttle.

AJ Green is the best receiver imo... Basically Santonio Holmes all over again. Great athleticism, even better size, and the quickness/speed is fantastic.

Julio and Baldwin both have questions imo... Still don't feel like I have a great handle on Julio so I'm gonna have to go back and watch some games.
    Me neither. I've watched Julio play a half dozen times, and its like i'm seeing 3 or 4 different players. Definitely have wait and see where the tape and scouts have him at.

I think ppl are being a little too critical of Baldwin. Calvin (who's basically been heralded as the best WR talent since randy moss to come out of college) set a standard for 6'5 WR that is impossible to replicate.
    The man's a freak.
    Baldwin does all the things you want a big tall WR to do, and he does them well. Under the right tutelage, he's gonna be a beast in the NFL. Burress style.

As for Green, I think you're undervalueing him by using Holmes comparisons. Green is the first WR i've heard since Calvin, be talked about as a phenom at his position. He's so much more than Holmes IMO, especially downfield (not too much physically dwarfs him)

You know guy whom I've had to concede love to? Floyd. I was so not on the wagon with him at the start of the season. Had at the bottom of the 5. But MAN, does that guy just make plays on the ball. You know how ppl sometimes talk about how a guy just needs to make a play? F*ck. He goes after it.
    Last edited by Paradis; 12-10-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post

OT, CB, OLB, DL, QB

Green is hands down the best receiver and a legit top ten pick...Justin Blackmon of OSU is not far behind but the dui is going to hurt him...and don't feel bad about not having a handle on Jones- no one does- that's his problem...

guy is to inconsistent...makes some amazing plays then dissapears then looks like a pedestrian on the field...if he always played to his size and level of ability he's a top 18 pick but his lack of productive/consistent play has raised a lot of red flags...

Agreed. Get some combo of the best players and athletes available.

All Pro
    We really need an underneath receiver who we can always look to on third down and who can run intermediate and short routes. Either that or we let Holmes and Edwards run these routes. Right now this is just not part of our offense and it hurts our rythmn and our pass protection.