Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: What do you guys think about going all defense in the draft??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you guys think about going all defense in the draft??

On offense we are basically set at every position except for maybe a third wide receiver if one of the current crop leaves. We are young at most positions and really have no immediate need, atleast not if Ducasse can take over for Woody or Woody gives us another year. On defense though a lot of key contributors are getting older and the unit hasnt performed up to standard and to what Rex expects from this group. People will point to our offensive woes but what else can we do?! We got talent all over the place, a very good line and a developing QB. The improvement here has to come mainly from Sanchez.

Now on defense guys like Taylor, Pryce or Ellis all are on their last legs yet counted on big time. We have a need for atleast one new safety, might need another corner considering the pass happy fellas up in NE and the pass rush hasnt been good in recent years either. We lack depth upfront and speed all over the place.

So, what do you guys think - all out for defense in 2011?! I would love to see it to honest with you guys...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unlikely unless we don't have alot of picks...

I'd probably go something like this...

First two rounds: DL or OLB

Mid rounds: ILB/S/WR/CB

Late: OL/RB/TE

List of front 7 guys I would not mind seeing in the first two rounds in December...I get the feeling it won't change too much going forward:

DL

Heyward (OSU)
    Dareus ('Bama)
    Guy (ASU)
    Ballard (Iowa)
    Powe (Ole Miss)
    Ellis (Hampton)
    Watt (Bumblef*ck)
    Jordan (Cal)
    Crick (Nebraska)
    Bailey (DA U) - Not to hammer on this guy...but I've made the comparisons to Gholston...here's what WalterFootball has in a short writeup from the preseason:

Talent is undoubtedly there, but Bailey disappears in games and is very inconsistent. The light might turn on in senior season.
    Guy's big, fast, and strong but IMO has "workout warrior" written all over him...Now workout warrior isn't the kiss of death many paint it to be...DeMarcus Ware, Richard Seymour, Kevin Williams, Haloti Ngata, and many other awesome players could be argued as those when they were prospects...but Bailey is a guy who couldn't find a position in college, received sub-par college coaching especially for a Miami guy, he grew up in a swamp with <100 people...Not sure if he's got a NY state of mind....definitely not sure he's the guy you want if you're looking for a plug and play big time young talent.

OLB

Quinn (UNC)
    Beal (OKLA)
    Miller (A&M)
    Moch (Nevada)
    Robinson (Temple)
    Crawford (Penn State)
    Matthews (South Carolina)

ILB

Hightower ('Bama)
    Ayers (UCLA)
    Sheppard (LSU) - Maybe.

On the offense I'd like to add another WR for shiggles (an Austin Pettis type...3rd or later)...I also wouldn't mind another RB...Luckily even UDFAs are improving in quality.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 12-09-2010 at 05:22 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Unlikely unless we don't have alot of picks...

I'd probably go something like this...

First two rounds: DL or OLB

Mid rounds: ILB/S/WR/CB

Late: OL/RB/TE

List of front 7 guys I would not mind seeing in the first two rounds in December...I get the feeling it won't change too much going forward:

DL

Heyward (OSU)
    Dareus ('Bama)
    Guy (ASU)
    Ballard (Iowa)
    Powe (Ole Miss)
    Ellis (Hampton)
    Watt (Bumblef*ck)
    Jordan (Cal)
    Crick (Nebraska)
    Bailey (DA U) - Not to hammer on this guy...but I've made the comparisons to Gholston...here's what WalterFootball has in a short writeup from the preseason:

Guy's big, fast, and strong but IMO has "workout warrior" written all over him...Now workout warrior isn't the kiss of death many paint it to be...DeMarcus Ware, Richard Seymour, Kevin Williams, Haloti Ngata, and many other awesome players could be argued as those when they were prospects...but Bailey is a guy who couldn't find a position in college, received sub-par college coaching especially for a Miami guy, he grew up in a swamp with <100 people...Not sure if he's got a NY state of mind....definitely not sure he's the guy you want if you're looking for a plug and play big time young talent.

OLB

Quinn (UNC)
    Beal (OKLA)
    Miller (A&M)
    Moch (Nevada)
    Robinson (Temple)
    Crawford (Penn State)
    Matthews (South Carolina)

ILB

Hightower ('Bama)
    Ayers (UCLA)
    Sheppard (LSU) - Maybe.

On the offense I'd like to add another WR for shiggles (an Austin Pettis type...3rd or later)...I also wouldn't mind another RB...Luckily even UDFAs are improving in quality.
    What walter had to say now that we are in the season:

10/8/10: Bailey has a ton of talent and has become a more consistent player this year. He is doing a better job of getting off blocks and using his hands. His ability as a pass rusher is limited, but he might be a better fit in the NFL at 5-technique than in college at 6-technique (4-3 DE) and 3-technique (4-3 DT).
    10/8/10: Heyward is a very, very inconsistent player, but with his size and strength, some coaching staff will feel like they can make him a better player than he really is. Heyward's best position is 5-technique because of his length and bulk. There is no doubt he has potential here, but he is not always as physical as he should be and often disappears.
    Also in his scouting report on Heyward, in which he says he is probably gonna be a Kenyon Coleman player:

Summary: I don't think a player's stock has fallen on my board over the summer more than Heyward's. I went into the summer expecting to see a first-round pick on tape, and instead I now see a second-rounder. He gets dominated by inferior competition and should be more dominant on a more consistent basis when you factor in his size, strength and talent.

Heyward's best fit by far at the next level is the 5-technique position (3-4 DE), and I just don't see him being an impact pass rusher at 4-3 left defensive end. Heyward needs to step up in his senior year if he wants to be a top 25 pick. As I mentioned previously, Heyward is starting the 2011 season with a second-round grade on my board.
    Give me bailey any day of heyward, but I'd really like Cameron Jordan over either of these guys.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well it seems like he was working with the misconception that Heyward would be an end in a 4-3...They do it in college because it's college...any pro 4-3 would take him as a DT.

Both Bailey and Jordan are different kind of 3-4 end prospects than Heyward...Heyward's more of the RDE type...good anchor who can also play DT in a 4-3, or even be kicked inside to NT in pass rushing situations...Bailey and Jordan are your Ellis replacements...Jordan being closer to that type of player...much more active and sound than Bailey...can play 3-4 DE, 4-3 DT in pass rushing packages, and 4-3 DE in basic 4-3 packages.

That said, I'm going to back off the Bailey knocking. He had a good season this year and I'm too much of a fan of size/speed/strength/athleticism to ignore him as a prospect. There are things I don't like...like the fact that the ACC sucks, that he hasn't played a position for more than a year in college, Miami's coaching fell off of a cliff in recent years, that he's a quiet kid from the Swamp, that his motor and consistency is/was questioned, and that he got by more on being a better athlete than ACC guys...To me these are significant...but my tongue will be held on him until the Senior Bowl....probably same for Heyward, who I probably over hyped here causing an imbalance and placing us both on extreme ends in this conversation unnecessarily.

I do expect Heyward's stock to fly up again come post season...possibly even as early as Bowl season...stuff like this always happens during the whole draft process.