Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you fix the offense in the offseason?

Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    I agree with everything you say but having a guy who torpedoed Pennington and Favre and didn't exactly do a great job with Clemens be his mentor isn't exactly setting him up for success.
    Pennington is a good QB in the sense that Kyle Orton is a good QB, except with less physical ability.

Favre sh*t his own diaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Pennington is a good QB in the sense that Kyle Orton is a good QB, except with less physical ability.

Favre sh*t his own diaper.
    And Snotty and Mangina should have benched Favre when his arm was obviously injured - even if his replacement Clemens sucked. That's why Man-Boobs got fined.

And Snotty and Mangina should have benched Favre when his arm was obviously injured - even if his replacement Clemens sucked. That's why Man-Boobs got fined.
    Why? That wouldn't have made anyone happy...You can't sell Favre merchandise while not playing Brett Favre.

Why? That wouldn't have made anyone happy...You can't sell Favre merchandise while not playing Brett Favre.
    Touche.

However, if a terrible QB like Kellen Clemens had started with the Brian Schottenheimer tutelage he probably would have ended up throwing 10 picks in one game which would have been amazing and record setting.

Touche.

However, if a terrible QB like Kellen Clemens had started with the Brian Schottenheimer tutelage he probably would have ended up throwing 10 picks in one game which would have been amazing and record setting.
    Clemens won 3 of the '07 team's 4 wins that year...He outplayed Pennington by a great deal but did not inspire enough PSL sales for them to not go after Favre.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Sanchez will get better either way. He's a 2nd year QB who's thowing less than an INT a game and more than 1 TD a game. Guy's not a terrible QB, but he's not a great QB either right now. That means he's either a young QB or washed up. I'm leading towards young.

Against a team like the Steelers he'll have to prove he can be a high percentage passer.
    you have to understand the mentality of the poster you're dealing with ...its' always someone elses fault; its not sanchez fault he's struggling- its' schottenheimers...its schottenheimers fault clemens is a career clipboard holder.....its not gholstons fault he sucks, its mangini's....etc, etc...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 12-15-2010 at 09:10 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Once again, some knowledge dropped by CBNY
    Is there any hope that McKnight can eventually grow into that role next year? Or should they look elsewhere?
    really need to see mcknight play consistently before making a determination...i can only gather he's not looked real good in practice hence they've not used him in the offense...his skill set was not the same as washington's entering the draft nor was his body of work...

Other some of the 1st down predictability, the most annoying part of the running game on Sunday was that I rarely saw them run stretch plays like you mentioned with Shonn Greene. Even though you can't take much from the Patriots game, Greene finally looked like he had last year's burst in terms of turning the corner on stretch runs. I think he had maybe one or two of those in all on Sunday.

Do you think perhaps it had to do with Woody's injury and their lack of faith in Hunter executing those plays? I know he was our extra lineman/3rd TE last year, but he's still a noticeable downgrade from Woody.
    no- because they rarely did these things with woody in the line-up...the only time they reallt took the ball outside the numbers was the second half of the pats game....

I saw you mention this in other threads, saying that Cotch was pretty much the only guy still working to get open after a breakdown. I don't know what it is, but Cotchery just doesn't look right this year. He's had more drops this year than his previous four combined it seems.
    could be the way the passes are arriving, could be a breakdown in focus....tough to put a finger on...

the only way to improve is to take Sh!tty's scripted first 25 plays and shove them up his a$$ as they send him packing. The man just plain sucks, anyone can defend the O. When a team never uses the middle of the field.

Hey Sh!tty!!! How about a crossing pattern, skinny post or any play over the middle. All we throw are freakin out patterns and long passes up the sideline at an alarming rate of at least 80% of the attemps to the right side. This is why our receivers are covered on almost every play. Every D we face doesn't have to worry about 50% of the field, from hash mark to hash mark. Every D can cheat and only have to worry about their left side of the field. This fool makes it easy for every team we face.

The bigger problem is that Rex can't see this, he thinks because Sh!tty is working hard that he's doing a good job. Sad so Sad.....

Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    the only way to improve is to take Sh!tty's scripted first 25 plays and shove them up his a$$ as they send him packing. The man just plain sucks, anyone can defend the O. When a team never uses the middle of the field.

Hey Sh!tty!!! How about a crossing pattern, skinny post or any play over the middle. All we throw are freakin out patterns and long passes up the sideline at an alarming rate of at least 80% of the attemps to the right side. This is why our receivers are covered on almost every play. Every D we face doesn't have to worry about 50% of the field, from hash mark to hash mark. Every D can cheat and only have to worry about their left side of the field. This fool makes it easy for every team we face.
    We run the ball on 1st down more than any other team in the league and anytime Shonn Greene or Brad Smith set foot on the field defenses know we're either running the ball up the middle or doing some stupid wildcat option crap.

That predictable garbage works against crappy defenses like Cleveland and Detroit but against even a semi-decent defense with good coaching it will fail - which is why our offense has scored 18 points combined in our 4 losses.

Our defense for the most part has actually played well in the games we lost except for the Pats blowout. The Ravens put up 10 pts on us, Aaron Rodgers put up only 9 and the Dolphins only 10.

It is the offense that is failing us. Now let's hear the stupidity from Clown Back to NY arguing that Schotty's playcalling has nothing to do with it.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

reading is such an overrated skill.....

It is the offense that is failing us. Now let's hear the stupidity from Clown Back to NY arguing that Schotty's playcalling has nothing to do with it.
    right hellen keller- because all my posts prove i agree with the play calling...

mods- please premanantly ban terminatorjet/vincenzotesteverde yet again for complete ignornace and crimes against remedial football...

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    reading is such an overrated skill.....

right hellen keller- because all my posts prove i agree with the play calling...

mods- please premanantly ban terminatorjet/vincenzotesteverde yet again for complete ignornace and crimes against remedial football...
    Says the guy who says I don't lay any blame on Sanchez or Vernon Gholston. I've been very critical of Sanchez I just acknowledge the fact that Schotty's record with our QB's is horrendous.

You and Brian Schottenheimer should get a room. Your inept defending of him is boring the rest of us.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Says the guy who says I don't lay any blame on Sanchez or Vernon Gholston. I've been very critical of Sanchez I just acknowledge the fact that Schotty's record with our QB's is horrendous.

You and Brian Schottenheimer should get a room. Your inept defending of him is boring the rest of us.
    i don't defend schottenheimer- i just enjoy pointing out what a complete dumbass you are when it comes to all things football hellen keller....

come to think of it maybe you should use helenkeller as your next username...

All Pro
    You'd have to be a retart not to think that the offensive woes currently are a mix of a few agents. Play calling and coaching, Sanchez's regressed play, receivers losing focus, etc etc.

Regardless, at the end of the day, it's the bosses that are held accountable, we blow the playoffs, or go 1 and done, it's not just gonna be shotty, its gonna the whole lot of them. Rex is gonna clean house on that side of the fence. Cally, Cavy, Shotty. all of them.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    The problem with LT is that while it was nice to play the hot hand earlier in the season, LT is no longer the hot hand.

For all the Jets West talk, the receivers and the QB could not seem more out of sync. Were they hanging out at In n Out Burger the entire time they were over there?
    It's not LT's fault but the play calling of shotty. The jets lead the league running the ball on first down at 63%. The dolphins had nine defensive players on the line so why didn't they adjust to that? Thier offense is too predictable and every team in the NFL plays us the same. Sanchez looks to be lost, you can see it in his eyes. Before the pats game you could see he was lost before the kick off. The game plan has to change in order for the jets to have any chance of winning another game. Even the Bills will be a test and probably a must win for any chance to the playoffs. What was once such a promising year suddenly has turned into just another jet season of the same old , same old jets.

only a fool is going to throw the towel in on Sanchez at this point because a second year quaterback is hitting bumps in the road...the horror

1- the Jets need a true thrid down back and use hims correctly...a leon washington type of player but use him on toss sweeps, quick screens, etc...

2- the Jets need to play to the strength of thier offensive line- straight ahead, between the tackles blocking is not their strength...get mangold, ferguson, moore even woody out in space and block on the move...

3- get sanchez the fuq out of the pocket- he's short, has to many passes batted away and i think he has trouble seeing the field....it should be 40%/60% roll out and throw/pass in the pocket for him...

4- get some disciplined pass catchers, guys who work to come free and catch the ball-not guys who stand around waiting for the ball to get to them...

5- the culmination of this is to move the ball outside the numbers- almost an east/west type of offense to take advantage of the athleticism which eventually sets up the north/south, vertical offense..
    You were right. The offense did more of this today and they moved the ball.

The unit just needs to keep playing, I don't think we need more players there.

1) Sanchez needs to develop. This is the big one.

2) Slauson needs to keep getting better. If he can be above average there, it'd be really big for us.

3) Keller needs to get more involved.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    You were right. The offense did more of this today and they moved the ball.
    when do i sign the OC contract??

All Pro
    As most others have said, Sanchez needs to improve... and I think he will.

The OL is in a funk and not run blocking like they have in years past. I have no idea why, but I doubt that Vlad is the answer.

Another RB is needed. I'm beginning to think Greene is pretty overrated and is clearly one-dimensional. McKnight is a great unknown. I like his skillset, but I don't know what the coaching staff sees on a daily basis. LT won't be around next year. Someone like Cadillac Williams might be a guy to consider as a FA.

Another TE who can actually catch is an absolute must. Cumberland might be that guy, he might not. But I KNOW that Hartsock IS NOT the guy. Dude has to go.

I actually think a big-bodied, well-balanced TE who can do a little bit of everything would be a great fit here. Someone similar to Bubba Franks.

A true slot WR would also be nice. A quick little buggar who can help out Sanchez when the primary targets are covered.

when do i sign the OC contract??
    You need the right representation

I think it's absurd how much blame Schotty gets...

How do the offense get better? Sanchez needs to grow up...

Agreed on getting a scat back, but I also think we need a better slot man.