Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Depth is a serious concern

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like

    Depth is a serious concern

    I'm posting this in here because I'm done with the Strip for a while.

    The depth of this team, is a serious problem. Ben Hartsock is not an NFL player. He's an embarrassment, to be honest. Offers ABSOLUTELY NOTHING as a pass catcher, and he's pretty much worthless as a blocker.

    How long are they going to hold on to this stiff?

    Wayne Hunter got abused today. I don't expect a backup RT to come in and light the world on fire, but he looked sooooo bad. Cam Wake had his way all day.

    Safety, as we've discussed, is a major hole on this team. Even before Jimmy went down, it was obvious that our starters at the position were league average or below.

    DL is a big concern because of age now.

    The point is, we've traded away all of our picks in the past few drafts to move up, and I think it's time to put that strategy on hold for a few years while they restock the bottom half of the roster.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    honestly im feeling the opposite. Mortgage the rest of the draft and get a real QB. Someone who won't melt in the rain and wind.

    depth is a luxury for teams with good QBs. The Jets have a great team and a crap QB right now.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depth isn't a serious issue at all...

    No matter what team you are, you just aren't going to have pro bowlers and great backups at every position. We have some decent ones though.

    Hunter struggled but he didn't get completely abused. And Wake is a top 5 pass rusher.

    We have some positions we can improve at, but that is nothing new.


    Safety is an issue, but I likely wouldn't take one in the first round just based off of philosophy. Too many plays where a safety isn't even a factor.

    Pass rusher is a big thing. No matter who they add, it has to be someone with ability to rush the passer. Pace and Thomas are both good against the run. And I could definitely see a scenario where the team lets Pace or Thomas go. Both get paid and both are replaceable.

    DL is definitely an issue. Ellis could probably be let go. Devito and Pouha are nice players, but both are limited. I still think Devito is a rotational guy.


    Corner remains a position of need as long as we play this system. And this year seems to be a REALLY good year for corners. I know we just took Wilson last year, but the position is a constant need in this system.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    231
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Depth isn't a serious issue at all...

    No matter what team you are, you just aren't going to have pro bowlers and great backups at every position. We have some decent ones though.

    Hunter struggled but he didn't get completely abused. And Wake is a top 5 pass rusher.

    We have some positions we can improve at, but that is nothing new.


    Safety is an issue, but I likely wouldn't take one in the first round just based off of philosophy. Too many plays where a safety isn't even a factor.

    Pass rusher is a big thing. No matter who they add, it has to be someone with ability to rush the passer. Pace and Thomas are both good against the run. And I could definitely see a scenario where the team lets Pace or Thomas go. Both get paid and both are replaceable.

    DL is definitely an issue. Ellis could probably be let go. Devito and Pouha are nice players, but both are limited. I still think Devito is a rotational guy.


    Corner remains a position of need as long as we play this system. And this year seems to be a REALLY good year for corners. I know we just took Wilson last year, but the position is a constant need in this system.

    I don't really understand how you can say depth is not a major concern going forward -especially in light of the fact that the team is going to have to splurge to retain guys like Harris and Cromartie. Outside of corner, can you name one position where there is solid depth( i.e a player in waiting that can step in seamlessly for a game without a dropoff in overall team play).

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,152
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depth is an issue, if the Jets were not incredibly fortunate injury wise the last few seasons things would look much worse. I don't mind the Jets trading picks for quality players but they take far to cavalier attitude with late round picks giving them away far too often.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,348
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously no need for Taylor Mays or Terrence Cody in the previous draft according to Clown Back to NY.

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh look- hellen keller of the draft forum returns..good to see how embedded i am in your two remaining brain cells....

    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    Obviously no need for Taylor Mays or Terrence Cody in the previous draft according to Clown Back to NY.
    right- because both those clowns you wanted are doing bang up jobs for thier teams...nevermind the fact only the helen keller crowd thinks second round picks are selected for depth... that and claiming bradford was gonna suk as a rookie....

    the news gets worse for cody- there's unlikely to be any football (ota's anyway) next may....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 12-14-2010 at 05:38 PM.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,481
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    Obviously no need for Taylor Mays or Terrence Cody in the previous draft according to Clown Back to NY.
    Fail... Cody and/or Mays would be useless for this team. Our safeties get burned in coverage which Mays is terrible for. We get no push on the pocket but can plug the run. Cody is just a giant body whose only possible purpose might have to bee to clog the run. So yea... fail

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,374
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    Obviously no need for Taylor Mays or Terrence Cody in the previous draft according to Clown Back to NY.
    Judging by your sig, you're problems with Come Back to NY have nothing to do with his (correct) assessment of Mays and Cody, and everything to do with politics.

    Don't let politics get in the way of football. He's one of the best draft guys that we have around here.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Fail... Cody and/or Mays would be useless for this team. Our safeties get burned in coverage which Mays is terrible for. We get no push on the pocket but can plug the run. Cody is just a giant body whose only possible purpose might have to bee to clog the run. So yea... fail
    hate to bring this thread up to the top but look how Cam Thomas is doing for SD (2 sacks in five games) and Kurt Coleman is doing in Philly....like passing on athyba rubin i think the jets are going to regret passing on those guys...

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,481
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    hate to bring this thread up to the top but look how Cam Thomas is doing for SD (2 sacks in five games) and Kurt Coleman is doing in Philly....like passing on athyba rubin i think the jets are going to regret passing on those guys...
    Maybe take a flyer on Taylor in the 4th? Or make a run at Rubin in FA? I don't think we'll have enough to make a play on him assuming we keep most of our FAs. I think the best option might be to let one of the WR go depending on how much they demand. Idk why but I like Edwards more... could be our fail of an OC not using Holmes well too tho lol

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us