Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you fix the offense in the offseason?

How do you fix the offense in the offseason?

For some reason, all the talk concerning the offseason seems to focus on improving the defense, which has been carrying the team. Other than hope that Sanchez continues to progress, what other changes would you look to make this offseason to improve the offense?

I know its not draft related, but the threads in this forum tend to be more "constructive"

you pretty much answered your own question. Unless they draft another QB i don't think the offense gets much better.

it would be nice to have a Gabe carimi type thumper at RT but i doubt the team has that as a high priority. at least not without giving vlad a chance to win the job.

Here's the crazy thing: If our HC and offensive coaching staff had been able to evaluate talent and potential like those of another team in our division--who shall remain nameless--we'd already be set. We could have gone into the season with a steady RB (TJ), a second year back coming off an impressive season (Shonn Greene), and a dynamic scat back/pass receiver (Danny Woodhead).

We would not have brought in relic Ladanian Tomlinson and expected him, at his advanced age and level of wear, to run between the tackles effectively and take away Greene's carries, which--IMO--has really hurt his development and productivity. Look, I never wanted Woodhead on the team because all you heard from the coaches was that he was a nice "human interest" story, but really wasn't an NFL caliber RB. Imagine what that trio of backs would be doing for us now if someone other than the clowns we have now were coaching the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Here's the crazy thing: If our HC and offensive coaching staff had been able to evaluate talent and potential like those of another team in our division--who shall remain nameless--we'd already be set. We could have gone into the season with a steady RB (TJ), a second year back coming off an impressive season (Shonn Greene), and a dynamic scat back/pass receiver (Danny Woodhead).

We would not have brought in relic Ladanian Tomlinson and expected him, at his advanced age and level of wear, to run between the tackles effectively and take away Greene's carries, which--IMO--has really hurt his development and productivity. Look, I never wanted Woodhead on the team because all you heard from the coaches was that he was a nice "human interest" story, but really wasn't an NFL caliber RB. Imagine what that trio of backs would be doing for us now if someone other than the clowns we have now were coaching the squad.

The problem with LT is that while it was nice to play the hot hand earlier in the season, LT is no longer the hot hand.

For all the Jets West talk, the receivers and the QB could not seem more out of sync. Were they hanging out at In n Out Burger the entire time they were over there?

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    you pretty much answered your own question. Unless they draft another QB i don't think the offense gets much better.

it would be nice to have a Gabe carimi type thumper at RT but i doubt the team has that as a high priority. at least not without giving vlad a chance to win the job.
    That assumes that Sanchez will not improve, which is a pessimistic assumption. He has improved from year 1 to 2 (although it is hard to notice that with the abysmal last two weeks).

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

only a fool is going to throw the towel in on Sanchez at this point because a second year quaterback is hitting bumps in the road...the horror

1- the Jets need a true thrid down back and use hims correctly...a leon washington type of player but use him on toss sweeps, quick screens, etc...

2- the Jets need to play to the strength of thier offensive line- straight ahead, between the tackles blocking is not their strength...get mangold, ferguson, moore even woody out in space and block on the move...

3- get sanchez the fuq out of the pocket- he's short, has to many passes batted away and i think he has trouble seeing the field....it should be 40%/60% roll out and throw/pass in the pocket for him...

4- get some disciplined pass catchers, guys who work to come free and catch the ball-not guys who stand around waiting for the ball to get to them...

5- the culmination of this is to move the ball outside the numbers- almost an east/west type of offense to take advantage of the athleticism which eventually sets up the north/south, vertical offense..

Hire a new OC or promote Bill Cally.

put it another way there's no draft pick or free agent addition they can make that will mean more than Mark Sanchez improving. QB is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    only a fool is going to throw the towel in on Sanchez at this point because a second year quaterback is hitting bumps in the road...the horror

1- the Jets need a true thrid down back and use hims correctly...a leon washington type of player but use him on toss sweeps, quick screens, etc...

2- the Jets need to play to the strength of thier offensive line- straight ahead, between the tackles blocking is not their strength...get mangold, ferguson, moore even woody out in space and block on the move...

3- get sanchez the fuq out of the pocket- he's short, has to many passes batted away and i think he has trouble seeing the field....it should be 40%/60% roll out and throw/pass in the pocket for him...

4- get some disciplined pass catchers, guys who work to come free and catch the ball-not guys who stand around waiting for the ball to get to them...

5- the culmination of this is to move the ball outside the numbers- almost an east/west type of offense to take advantage of the athleticism which eventually sets up the north/south, vertical offense..
    I agree 100% with 2 and 3. Sanchez has a west coast offense skillset (you said it yourself before he was drafted) and the team does not call enough plays to take advantage of what he does well. Additionally, the Jets have the kind of big athletic receivers that would thrive with those playcalls. This falls on the playcaller, aka Shotty.

Regarding #1, Sproles and Jerious Norwood are free agents. Do you think they are possibilities as low cost free agents?

I would like to see the Jets trim some fat from the cap and go after some mid tier free agents that could help address some deficiencies the team has, such as Davone Bess and Mattias Kiwanuka or Tamba Hali.
    Last edited by Maury77; 12-14-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I agree 100% with 2 and 3. Sanchez has a west coast offense skillset (you said it yourself before he was drafted) and the team does not call enough plays to take advantage of what he does well. Additionally, the Jets have the kind of big athletic receivers that would thrive with those playcalls. This falls on the playcaller, aka Shotty.

Regarding #1, Sproles and Jerious Norwood are free agents. Do you think they are possibilities as low cost free agents?

I would like to see the Jets trim some fat from the cap and go after some mid tier free agents that could help address some deficiencies the team has, such as Davone Bess and Mattias Kiwanuka or Tamba Hali.
    who knows about FA with the pending CBA...last i heard the owners are not looking to pay one dime unless it is contractually required until the CBA is figured out...

this hurts in more ways than most know...conventional wisdom is FA starts in March when the reality is it starts in october- point being GM's have not begun broaching (or poaching) potential FA as they can't speak about possible $$$...

All Pro
    Going by KFFL, there are a bunch of really good tight ends available that would finally give us another pass catching end next to Keller. Vernon Davis and Kellen Winslow are superstars at the position but would likely cost too much. Marcedes Lewis will be looking for a big payday too after a pro bowl season this year in Jacksonville. Cheaper options would be Owen Daniels, Bo Scaife or Kevin Boss. Zach Miller (Oakland) rounds out a very impressive tight end class.

The wide receiver group really doesnt possess what we need which would be a good underneath slot type receiver. James Jones (Green Bay) or Legedu Nanee (San Diego) might be solid cheaper options, especially if we dont bring back both Edwards and Holmes.

It's gonna be interesting if we keep LT. If not, DeAngelo Williams will almost certainly hit the open market and comes of a down year due to injury. He would be a good compliment to Shonn Greene and we could also closely watch his carries with Greene in the mix.

There are some really interesting defensive players on the market aswell but I guess those are for another thread...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post
    Hire a new OC or promote Bill Cally.
    Ding ding ding... We have a winner. Callahan could preserve the season.

That's F'ing coaching! Namath pointed that out in Hard Knocks.

Once again, some knowledge dropped by CBNY

LOL, yeah I completely agree. In my mind, last year he personally cost us three games -- at New Orleans, home vs. Buffalo, and home vs. Atlanta. He also played terribly to cost us at New England even if the rest of the team decided to show up, which they did not. This year the same exact thing happened in New England and you can say that he cost us Sunday's game as well. That's about it. I hang the Batimore game on Scaredy Cat offense and the two picks against GB were either bogus or the receiver's fault. Other than that, the kid still has a positive TD/INT ratio and has been the reason why we have won some of our games. That's promise enough so far for me.

Is there any hope that McKnight can eventually grow into that role next year? Or should they look elsewhere?

Other some of the 1st down predictability, the most annoying part of the running game on Sunday was that I rarely saw them run stretch plays like you mentioned with Shonn Greene. Even though you can't take much from the Patriots game, Greene finally looked like he had last year's burst in terms of turning the corner on stretch runs. I think he had maybe one or two of those in all on Sunday.

Do you think perhaps it had to do with Woody's injury and their lack of faith in Hunter executing those plays? I know he was our extra lineman/3rd TE last year, but he's still a noticeable downgrade from Woody.

Agreed...I've seen way too many batted passes, especially the last 3 weeks. I think the lack of rollouts has also hurt Keller's activity in the passing game. He benefited from that a lot in last year's playoffs and the first 4-5 games this year. Misdirection with the run game and in the play action game is necessary to keep the defense honest.

I saw you mention this in other threads, saying that Cotch was pretty much the only guy still working to get open after a breakdown. I don't know what it is, but Cotchery just doesn't look right this year. He's had more drops this year than his previous four combined it seems.

Can't possibly all get done in one offseason but...

- Keep one of the two WRs, not both. That will be decided by the end of the season because neither has been consistent this year. Holmes had something like 12 drops since he got onto the field...I'm leaning Edwards still.

- At least one new RB. I like McKnight, but can't assume production from someone who hasn't given it on the offense yet. Still...his speed is gamebreaking. I want to put Greene on his toes...that guy is overrated as hell. Always with the ten carries then injury...

-Hope VD can handle RT. I like his skillset better there. Look for a 6'5/6'6 LG who isn't fat and is very athletic...the kind of LG who could have been a good tackle 20 years ago before NFL players blew up in size...a Steinbach/Iupati type...

- Draft a slot WR.

- Get improved play from Conner. Maybe even use Conner as a RB once in a while.

- Most importantly of all: Improved play from Sanchez.

Fire

And hire an OC who doesn't have a track record of wrecking NFL quarterbacks.

Somehow this managed to work for Chad Pennington in 2008 and Brett Favre in 20009. Why can't this work for Mark Sanchez in 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Can't possibly all get done in one offseason but...

- Keep one of the two WRs, not both. That will be decided by the end of the season because neither has been consistent this year. Holmes had something like 12 drops since he got onto the field...I'm leaning Edwards still.

- At least one new RB. I like McKnight, but can't assume production from someone who hasn't given it on the offense yet. Still...his speed is gamebreaking. I want to put Greene on his toes...that guy is overrated as hell. Always with the ten carries then injury...

-Hope VD can handle RT. I like his skillset better there. Look for a 6'5/6'6 LG who isn't fat and is very athletic...the kind of LG who could have been a good tackle 20 years ago before NFL players blew up in size...a Steinbach/Iupati type...

- Draft a slot WR.

- Get improved play from Conner. Maybe even use Conner as a RB once in a while.

- Most importantly of all: Improved play from Sanchez.
    -The Jets will keep Braylon or Holmes. One of them will be in a Jet uniform next season. I think Edwards will be the one to stay.

-Jets will probably draft an RB. McKnight hasn't shown anything yet though in fairness he hasn't had a shot yet this season and neither has Greene with Schotty making our offense so Tom-centric.

-Hopefully Ducasse is ready next year. If not you can always find a Right Tackle in the draft or FA.

-Fire Schittenheimer and Sanchez will get better.

-Fire Schittenheimer and Sanchez will get better.
    Sanchez will get better either way. He's a 2nd year QB who's thowing less than an INT a game and more than 1 TD a game. Guy's not a terrible QB, but he's not a great QB either right now. That means he's either a young QB or washed up. I'm leading towards young.

Against a team like the Steelers he'll have to prove he can be a high percentage passer.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    That assumes that Sanchez will not improve, which is a pessimistic assumption. He has improved from year 1 to 2 (although it is hard to notice that with the abysmal last two weeks).
    +1 our QB has grown soo much...our play calling is awful and it is obviously putting so much pressure on the guy that he can make the right reads...we need to spread it out and play to sanchezs strengths which is buying time and finding the open guy down field...

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Sanchez will get better either way. He's a 2nd year QB who's thowing less than an INT a game and more than 1 TD a game. Guy's not a terrible QB, but he's not a great QB either right now. That means he's either a young QB or washed up. I'm leading towards young.

Against a team like the Steelers he'll have to prove he can be a high percentage passer.
    I agree with everything you say but having a guy who torpedoed Pennington and Favre and didn't exactly do a great job with Clemens be his mentor isn't exactly setting him up for success.