Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: You can begin hating me now....a December Jets Mock.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

You can begin hating me now....a December Jets Mock.

Round 1: Cameron Heyward - Jets begin the reconstruction of the DL with the son of former NFL player Craig Heyward. The fact that he's the son of a player is obvious, as Heyward shows a great aptitude for the game. Consistently plays with excellent leverage despite being in the 6'5/6'6 range making him a very strong presence against the run game. Not much of a pass rusher now, but will get his hands in the air and generally shows strong awareness. 4 year starter at a major school (even if the major school is f'n OSU)...team captain...prototypical size and skills for a 3-4 defensive lineman. Probably one of the best bets in the draft to succeed. Profiles alot like Richard Seymour, except to make a direct comparison would be ridiculous considering Seymour is a future HOF and arguably the GOAT at 3-4 DE...certainly the best 3-4 DE of his generation.

Round 2: Clint Boling - Collegiate T who profiles as a true LG at the NFL level. Has played LT, both G spots, and RT in for Georgia, and has 3+ years of starting experience. Reminds me alot of former Bengals and current Browns LG Eric Steinbach. Should test very well at the combine, and is "battle tested" in the SEC. Projects as a very good pass protector at G, and has the mentality of a mauler in the run game. I can't help but notice how important the LG position seems to have become at the NFL level, and I'd not sure I trust Slauson there in the long run.

Round 4: Cliff Matthews - The type of player who'll get underrated for not being flashy, but otherwise a highly skilled football player with strong athleticism. Transition to OLB is tough for 95% of these guys, and I'm not sure I want to see a first round pick on one. Very experienced, very tested, very hard working...basically the kind of college player any team would be happy to land.

Round 5: Matt Szczur - Probably a round or two too late. There's a good chance we lose Brad Smith this offseason and this guy is basically a Brad Smith type player who actually projects to be a good WR. Very versatile. Cubs drafted him in the MLB.

Round 6: Jaiquawn Jarrett - Will go higher than this...Temple safety with excellent size and athleticism for the pros. High effort player...smart...gets points for being a Golden product.

Round 7: Rob Long - Syracuse punter might have the strongest leg in the class...cause you guys know how well punters are scouted in December.

What say you?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heyward = Gholston

Thats all I can say

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hate the 2nd round pick but everything else looks ok.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Should always be looking ahead.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why are you replacing weatherford?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will Heyward even be available when the Jets pick at 20+ place?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Hate the 2nd round pick but everything else looks ok.
    I dont hate the player selection but in terms of position it is a terrible pick after we just invested in Ducasse last year...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I dont hate the player selection but in terms of position it is a terrible pick after we just invested in Ducasse last year...
    I've got Ducasse at RT in the long run. Woody is on the way out, Ducasse was a college tackle, and I think Ducasse's potential game and body both resemble Woody. The ASSUMPTION was made that he was going to replace Faneca at LG since they drafted him after getting rid of Faneca, but the organization didn't make any kind of announcement either way...Even the fact that they let him compete at LG in TC could be explained by teams preferring to develop unpolished tackles inside...which used to be fairly common.

GGI, I think I overdid it on Boling...shouldn't have done that since I went straight the rest of the way...even I have trouble buying the Steinbach line I dropped. There's definitely better G prospects and I just chose that 2nd round pick to go out on the limb. He's probably more in the mold of a Turner or Hunter...Also, 2nd round pick is tough...My gut wanted to go with a 2nd DL (Ellis or Powe in particular).

Heyward = Gholston

Thats all I can say
    That's quite the excellent story.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    jarrett is a top 60 pick....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedingGreen View Post
    Heyward = Gholston

Thats all I can say
    in what sense?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    jarrett is a top 60 pick....
    Word just wanted to get his name out there. Guy's pretty beast. Adrian Robinson's pretty good too...Dumerville/Haralson type.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i would do a happy dance if they get Heyward...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    CB, bit, and possibly GGI...thoughts on if there's talent in this G class that may convince the Jets to try to upgrade the LG spot?

How's Andrew Jackson from Fresno? Or even big James Carpenter? If they fell later would it be a given that they'd be high on the day 2 and 3 boards?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    CB, bit, and possibly GGI...thoughts on if there's talent in this G class that may convince the Jets to try to upgrade the LG spot?

How's Andrew Jackson from Fresno? Or even big James Carpenter? If they fell later would it be a given that they'd be high on the day 2 and 3 boards?
    marginal....best guards are juniors (Kelechi Osemele/Ryan Miller/Cordy Glenn) and they are surprisingly considering entering the draft...

i do like Moffitt/Wisconsin and thinks he's going to be underdrafted...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Slauson will be fine- last thing I want to do is try to upgrade the line early in the draft.

I really like Rodney Hudson though...

Oh, and Carpenter can stay outside in the NFL. I loooovee Carpenter...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just want to try this one out:

1: Cameron Heyward - I think I've expressed my thoughts on him.

2: Sendrick Ellis - 6'4 340 DT from Hampton, which has produced some solid DL recently (most notably Kendall Langford). Might be the best prospect from Hampton during their recent run of success. Really big.

4: Matt Szczur - The new Brad Smith...this one can play WR.

5: Luke Stocker - Tenn. TE is big, solid, has some recieving skills, and can block realy well.

6: Mark Legree - App. State safety with solid size, good speed, and ball skills.

7: Andrew Jackson - Fresno G with tackle height and length...not physical and definitely a developmental prospect...has upside...typical late round OL pick...really I just ran out of ideas.

GGI - Carpenter is pretty awesome. When you say you see him outside, do you mean at RT or do you think he could actually pass for a LT?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    I just want to try this one out:

1: Cameron Heyward - I think I've expressed my thoughts on him.

2: Sendrick Ellis - 6'4 340 DT from Hampton, which has produced some solid DL recently (most notably Kendall Langford). Might be the best prospect from Hampton during their recent run of success. Really big.

4: Matt Szczur - The new Brad Smith...this one can play WR.

5: Luke Stocker - Tenn. TE is big, solid, has some recieving skills, and can block realy well.

6: Mark Legree - App. State safety with solid size, good speed, and ball skills.

7: Andrew Jackson - Fresno G with tackle height and length...not physical and definitely a developmental prospect...has upside...typical late round OL pick...really I just ran out of ideas.

GGI - Carpenter is pretty awesome. When you say you see him outside, do you mean at RT or do you think he could actually pass for a LT?
    AT LEAST RT...let me see one more Bama game before I go to bat for HIM at LT.

I need to have my ducks in a row me thinks before I start defending that one since I'm going to get heat for it...but I'm leaning yes to LT.

He's REALLY good...